E-Liquid Online Database & Recipe Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTownB

May 20, 2013
Orlando, FL
After constantly searching the the forums and other sites; I began to wonder.....why is there not a GOOD online directory for e-juice recipes??? Well, after much thought, I decided to tackle such a site on my own. I am currently in the final stages of development. It's coming together pretty nicely, but I need some advice and beta testers to help debug the site.

Vape Recipes

Features:
  • User Submitted Recipes
    • Sorted Into Various Categories
    • Ability To Add A Picture For Each Recipe
    • General Description For Each Recipe
    • Auto Complete For Ingredient Lists
      • Currently: Capella, Flavor West, Flavour Art, & Flavor Apprentice
      • Unit Of Measurement - Currently I only have percentages to keep it simple and constant
    • Section For Special Directions And Notes
  • User Submitted reviews & Ratings
  • Comprehensive Tag System (recipe owner tagging allowed)
  • Advanced Search (by keyword, recipe name, or ingredients)
  • Recipe Manager (edit or delete your recipes at any time)
  • Favorites System (keep track of your favorite recipes)
  • Unit Converter (planned for future development)
  • E-juice Calculator (planned for future development)

Suggestions Needed:
  • Additional Category Names
  • Additional Ingredient Manufactures & Lists
  • Additional Ingredient Measurements

Currently the site is pretty plain, I still need to make category images and design the logo as well as finish a few pages here and there. Please check out the site and let me know what you think. Feel free to register and start posting your recipes too!

You can post comments and suggestions here or complete the contact form on the website.

Vape Recipes

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
That's cool -- one thing I noticed right off, is that you have "allow new users to register" turned off, in your site config -- I design Joomla! templates, and I thought I recognized it right off, and sure enough, it's Joomla. In the area where one logs in, there should be a "register" link.

How are you going to have users submit recipes? I thought I would submit one, but I don't see a way to do it.

Andria

EDIT: after scrolling all the way down the page, I found the register link -- but it should be in the same box as the login module, just below the button. Having the register link all the way at the bottom seems self-defeating -- most folks won't go to that much trouble, if the register link isn't immediately apparent.

Also -- when you register, it doesn't give you any sort of msg that you need to check your email and then validate yourself, in order to be able to login -- users need to know that. I tried to login when I didn't see that msg, and of course it wouldn't let me, so I checked my email, and sure enough, there was the validation email. But not everyone knows the ins and outs of Joomla websites.

But now I do see the "submit recipe" link. :thumb:

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Thanks for pointing out those issues. I have fixed the registration completion redirect. I also put the link to create an account under the sidebar login form. I had some template modifications that affected those links. Thanks again!!!

No problem; I've been doing one thing or another to/for Joomla sites since 2008, and I know EXACTLY what a bear it can be to set up.

I really haven't done much template design this year; I finished off a new design set in January, and right after that, got interested in vaping, and haven't done a single template since. :D People that visit my site must think I died. :D

Andria

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I would try to make this as simple as possible. You have a good start. Suggestions:
1. Categories: consider adding NET Tobacco recipes.This category might might be too deep/list?
2. Sub Categories for NET, main only and main with additional flavors. Here again this might might be too deep/list?
If you go any deeper like approximations to manufactured NET flavors you get into subjective opinions. Like manufacture of product X is approximately equal to manufacture product B. Sometimes something like this helps someone save money and time.
I have just started to research NET mixing so I really don't know what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.
Oh. brings to mind:
Original recipes, I think this needs clarification. Original Recipes are impossible to verify. I think almost all recipes are either clones of someone elses or subjective opinion improvements to an Original Recipe. If you have a recipe that someone else made and you like it, please add. No need to reference the original poster or do not reference the original poster?
Here again these all quick thoughts. No need to take any of this post seriously. Posted as a help only.

OTownB

May 20, 2013
Orlando, FL
I would try to make this as simple as possible. You have a good start. Suggestions:
1. Categories: consider adding NET Tobacco recipes.This category might might be too deep/list?
2. Sub Categories for NET, main only and main with additional flavors. Here again this might might be too deep/list?
If you go any deeper like approximations to manufactured NET flavors you get into subjective opinions. Like manufacture of product X is approximately equal to manufacture product B. Sometimes something like this helps someone save money and time.
I have just started to research NET mixing so I really don't know what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.
Oh. brings to mind:
Original recipes, I think this needs clarification. Original Recipes are impossible to verify. I think almost all recipes are either clones of someone elses or subjective opinion improvements to an Original Recipe. If you have a recipe that someone else made and you like it, please add. No need to reference the original poster or do not reference the original poster?
Here again these all quick thoughts. No need to take any of this post seriously. Posted as a help only.

I must admit......I know absolutely nothing about NET tobacco flavors. I guess I need to do some research on the subject. However, I believe this is a good example of how the versatile tagging system could be used. Recipes of this type could be tagged (by creator) with "NET Tobacco". Then when that tag is clicked or when a search is performed for "NET Tobacco", all of the recipes with that tag would be displayed.

Thanks for the input!

OTownB

May 20, 2013
Orlando, FL
You missed 2 wildly popular flavor manufactures

Hangsen
Inawera

I should have been more clear on the ingredient manufacturers. I currently have the following: Capella, Flavor West, Flavor Art, Hangsen, Inawera, LorAnn, The Flavor Apprentice.

Out of those only Capella, Flavor West, Flavour Art, & Flavor Apprentice are set up with auto completion. Meaning when a user begins typing an ingredient the system will auto suggest the ingredient after three letters are entered. For example if Capella is selected and "str" is typed then Strawberries and Cream, Sweet Strawberry, and Sweet Strawberry (RF) are the suggested results.

This is simply designed to speed up recipe entry, help prevent spelling errors, and maintain the ingredient as labeled by the manufacturer.

WarBlaze

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2014
Vape Haven, Utah USA
so i started an account, activated it, logged in and tried to make a recipe with add a recipe button and i got to put in the name and hit next then it sent me back to the screen before i hit create a recipe?

edit.... so im kinda not pc super smart i get around but need it cut and paste
i dont get how to put in a recipe and since im use to the other side where i can add or eddit from the calculator i may just be narrow sighted

OTownB

May 20, 2013
Orlando, FL
have you read the thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/477263-re-launch-e-liquid-recipes-com.html i would suggest reading it as its showing some of the issues he ran into with is site like duplicate flavors spelled differently by different users and such

As the site grows, I have plans to write a crone job to automatically handle duplicate recipes. I will also provide moderator rights to several users to help with the verification tasks. For now every recipe is auto-published and auto-validated but this will change once we are fully launched and functional.

Keep an eye out for my advanced e-juice calculator!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread