E-Liquid Steeping water bath, lost taste and smell is bad on vape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ECF!

I am not sure if there is any post like that before or not I tried to search and scroll through many pages but not find anything matching so this thread, sorry if it is already there somewhere.

Now the problem I got the 24 mg/ml eliquid from the local vender flavour was RY4 had that flavour before and I liked it so I ordered more in 30 ml bottle tasted it few days ago when it was shipped in start of the month it tasted like vanilla etc,
Previous one from month ago tasted like much better so I gave it a hot water bath by 3 4 time by putting hot water in the stainless coffee mug and putting the lliquid in glass bottle inside the mug and shutdown the lid tight and again after few hours changed the water as it is nt hot anymore and repeat etc to get some steeping done and be ready and tasty in the days to come and put that in the drawer.

I had other flavours testing was not using it at all, so it was in the drawer, now I tasted it after 10 days and it lost it taste of vanilla and caramel totally and taste like inhaling much more like diesel fumes and smell in the room after vaping, had little quantity of previous one from vendor that I got last month it still taste nice so not vapor tongue for flavour.

I am confused what happened to that liquid in few day? Did I messed it up by giving hot water bath or it was bad liquid from start?

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
It's hard to say what happened, especially if you didn't sample from the bottle beforehand.

I will say that I don't use heat that way. I wouldn't cook my liquid in a sealed insulated mug using piping hot water. I know some do-it-yourself mixers will use a slow-cooker at lower setting for a matter of hours, but I don't do that either. I'll only heat a new liquid using hot water from the tap, and only for 10-15 minutes, for the sole purpose of lowering the viscosity so I can shake it thoroughly. Even that level of heating has become less important since I bought a test-tube hand mixer.

It's hard to say what happened, especially if you didn't sample from the bottle beforehand.

I will say that I don't use heat that way. I wouldn't cook my liquid in a sealed insulated mug using piping hot water. I know some do-it-yourself mixers will use a slow-cooker at lower setting for a matter of hours, but I don't do that either. I'll only heat a new liquid using hot water from the tap, and only for 10-15 minutes, for the sole purpose of lowering the viscosity so I can shake it thoroughly. Even that level of heating has become less important since I bought a test-tube hand mixer.

I sampled the bottle before it had the sharp smell but nice RY4 taste on vape but no smell on exhale now it have no taste of RY4 and bad burning smell of exhale even other people in room notice the smell when I vaped it.

Confusion is did I breakdown the nic and pg vg content by heating it somehow over done it or it might be the bad batch of low quality in the start that steeping speeded up the going bad thing (if it is that I am happy I did that instead of vaping on the bad thing)

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Steeping juice is essentially aging it to allow the elements to combine and flavors to mature. This is best achieved by time and heating can affect both flavor as well as break down the nicotine. I diy and only use hot water initially to reduce viscosity of my max. VG liquids. Then store in a dark cupboard until good to use.
I think you may have just got some inferior product. Can you not take them back if purchased from a shop. You don't say where you got the juice, branding etc. It is hard to say what might be wrong in your case but generally the ry4 vanilla element would be better with steeping or breathing also.

Reactions: HackEnggr
Steeping juice is essentially aging it to allow the elements to combine and flavors to mature. This is best achieved by time and heating can affect both flavor as well as break down the nicotine. I diy and only use hot water initially to reduce viscosity of my max. VG liquids. Then store in a dark cupboard until good to use.
I think you may have just got some inferior product. Can you not take them back if purchased from a shop. You don't say where you got the juice, branding etc. It is hard to say what might be wrong in your case but generally the ry4 vanilla element would be better with steeping or breathing also.

Just some local vendor but from other city can't take back really, I am thinking of low quality because the previous batch I got month ago that one is getting more rich in flavour now same RY4 but that one didn't put in the hot water so was not sure it was steeping or quality of product. I am new to these thing so there is always a great chance that I do something wrong

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
As with most things, it takes a series of mistakes before you find something that works out well! With store bought juice I don't recommend using any heating. If the flavor bases contain alcohol you might try to 'breath' the juice by leaving the top off until the perfume smell diminishes but again.. not too much to where you loose all flavor!
If you like ry4, why not buy some diy supplies and make your own. It is easy and you can make small 10ml batches and then tweak it to your own preference. This will give you control over your experience and save you plenty.
Let me know, I can happily give you a recipe to work with or else you will find a wealth of information here on the forum boards.

DIY Recipe Sites

* ECF E-Liquid Recipes
* EcigExpress Archive Cookbook
* E-Liquid Recipes UK
* kritikalmass - E-Liquid Recipes
* One Stop DIY Shop - Recipes

Reactions: HackEnggr

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
Best way to steep is
TIME...

Vape On[emoji100]
That there.

Most juice makers recommend COOL, dark places to steep. Cool means NOT hot.

All the heating really does is thin the juice so it mixes better. If you Insist on Taking The Chance with
heat, it doesn't take much heat to thin the juice out enough to mix better.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-Used to use 140 F or less hot water, no longer uses any heat at all

Reactions: ej1024
As with most things, it takes a series of mistakes before you find something that works out well! With store bought juice I don't recommend using any heating. If the flavor bases contain alcohol you might try to 'breath' the juice by leaving the top off until the perfume smell diminishes but again.. not too much to where you loose all flavor!
If you like ry4, why not buy some diy supplies and make your own. It is easy and you can make small 10ml batches and then tweak it to your own preference. This will give you control over your experience and save you plenty.
Let me know, I can happily give you a recipe to work with or else you will find a wealth of information here on the forum boards.

DIY Recipe Sites

* ECF E-Liquid Recipes
* EcigExpress Archive Cookbook
* E-Liquid Recipes UK
* kritikalmass - E-Liquid Recipes
* One Stop DIY Shop - Recipes
yeah going to do exactly that, it come half the price even after importing everything from USA and custom clearance, and most importantly good quality. Currently vaping on the flavourless juice made by nic and pg and vg with little coffee heated in the pg using boiling water and filtering the pg for flavouring not very good not very bad, and a drop of vanilla extract found in the fridge it is giving the hint of vanilla not very strong like RY4 but will keep me to going back to analogues until the flavourings come.

Thanks for the recipe sites they will come handy in future. Yeah I liked the RY4 alot tried few different flavourings since started vaping and RY4 I liked the most so far, a good recipe will be very niceee thing, thanks

That there.

Most juice makers recommend COOL, dark places to steep. Cool means NOT hot.

All the heating really does is thin the juice so it mixes better. If you Insist on Taking The Chance with
heat, it doesn't take much heat to thin the juice out enough to mix better.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-Used to use 140 F or less hot water, no longer uses any heat at all

yeah next time no heat, thanks. Once some of nice of is made I think time steeping will apply automatically for new ones :)

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Yeah, you can't beat a natural stash and steep..if you can just wait a few days it will start to come good , oh and shaking a couple of times a day.

Well, be careful using oil based essences like the vanilla one you found in the fridge. They are not recommended for vaping. Maybe stick with unflavored with nic until you get some flavors in or buy some more from a shop if you can. Same with the coffee thing-worried:?:

Here is a recipe I made some time back with RY4. It's an attempt at a Tribeca clone.

(TPA) RY4 Double 9%
(FA) Vanilla Bourbon 1%
(FW) Caramel Candy 1%
You can add 1 drop per 10ml of AP (Acetyle Pyrazine) bakery flavoring.

I also made this recipe, which I think is very good representation of Tribeca, with some menthol if that's of any interest? also 1%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread