E-liquid transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20rich

Verified Member
Jul 16, 2009
Northern California
I am trying to split up my big bottles of e-liquid into smaller bottles, anyone done this before? i want to let my friend have a couple samples but i have no idea how it would be possible. I hear using a syringe works but pharmacy wont give me any because i am not a diabetic or have a medical prescription requiring one. Any ideas??

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
did any of the e-juice bottles come with eye droppers or did they come in squeeze type dropper bottles (sorta like an eye drops or some little nasal spray squeeze bottles?

If not, got an eye dropper around or can you buy one (preferably as part of a whole eye dropper bottle with it as part of the lid)?

you can also buy syringes online, either with needles or without, look on amazon, google 'syringe,' etc

you have me curious: just how are you actually even using the e-liqud and getting it into your cartridges or 'dripping/dipping' etc without any of these?

Last edited:

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran

JebGipson

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Clark County, Washington, USA
you seriously can't get a syringe from a pharmacy supply store? I am an amateur mycologist (I grow mushrooms, and no not the magic ones...) and I use syringe for transfering spores into sterile environments... they sell me needles without blinking an eye... that and if you can't buy syringes in california does that mean you have no junkies?

VapoRing

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Mississippi USA
That's a good idea. I have some frinds who want to try the e-cigs, but they wanna try mine first. I actually found a place that sells trial bottles of juice, 10 bottles for $10. You can pick and choose your flavors and strengths. I wanna get one and let my friends try the different flavors. Transferring the liquid is a great idea. Thanks for the info.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
I am trying to split up my big bottles of e-liquid into smaller bottles, anyone done this before? i want to let my friend have a couple samples but i have no idea how it would be possible. I hear using a syringe works but pharmacy wont give me any because i am not a diabetic or have a medical prescription requiring one. Any ideas??

First of all, you're going to want to practice practice practice using plain old bottled water, so you can get used to the process and equipment you'll be using and see what hitches and Murphy's Laws you'll likely run into.

Raleys has a two-pack of little glass eyedroppers about 3-4 inches long, over in the baby/travel sample aisle, across from the plastic baby syringes and baby dosing spoons marked in ml's. You'll find plastic food-safe bottles in a 4 or 6-pk over in the camping/lightbulbs/cuphooks aisle. They're actually less expensive than the travel bottles over in the baby aisle. Over in the baking gadgets aisle, you'll find a turkey 'injector' syringe used for injecting broth and butter into turkeys and roasts, and also funnels. You can use the baby syringe to measure mls, using the eyedropper or turkey injector to fill the baby syringe. You'll also find medical-style gloves over by the pharmacy. Check out 99cent store for gloves, painters' goggles, rainponcho for an apron and either a cheap plastic tablecloth for a work surface/waterproofing (tape it down - trust me on this!) or even a shallow plastic washbasin type container that can contain spills and you can set your main and mixing bottles inside of as you work.

Once your liquid is drawn in the eyedropper from the main bottle, excess doesn't go back into the main bottle, right? Otherwise you're contaminating your main bottle. If you take out too much, squirt it into your intermediate bottle.

If you have to pour, try a two-stage transfer from biggest bottle to an intermediate bottle. Use a funnel. A good way is to put the intermediate bottle in a sturdy ceramic-type bowl or other suitable container, stuff papertowels or newspaper into the bowl all around the intermediate bottle to hold it in place, and then pour from the bigger bottle into a funnel, using both hands to pour slowly. Cap biggest bottle and put it away. Then you can transfer from intermediate bottle to the smaller bottle in the same way.

Wear eye protection. And gloves. And a long-sleeved shirt. And a poncho apron. [And if your friend laughs at you for being all space-suited up, remind them that you're dealing with a hazmat material and also that e-liquid is not a toy. Remind them 2mls of 36mg/ml absorbed thru the skin could be serious, 911-type serious stuff. They will respect your getup real quick.]

do a few dry runs with water first!!! to get comfortable with your equipment.
(did I mention that already? :) )

Decontaminate! You don't want Aunt Susie to inject your Thanksgiving turkey with nicotine residual in that turkey injector, so keep your supplies under lock and key!

Other than that, have fun! be safe!

Hope this helps!

umm TMI moment.
I used to do body mod and play piercing, I never had a med supply place refuse to sell me needles in massive numbers.
If they did I said the following.

I use them in my medical kits as blister lances, in a pinch can be used as make shift wound closures and also survival gear for "plumping" up small insects for fishing.

I never was refused a sale.

Also check your local fishing supply place they sometimes have the needles on air bottles for injecting worms/fish/bait with added flavors or scenting.

props76

Moved On
Sep 22, 2009
I hear using a syringe works but pharmacy wont give me any because i am not a diabetic or have a medical prescription requiring one. Any ideas??

To avoid pharmacys being dicks, and paying inflated prices, go to a farmer store. Farmers inject their animals with medicines. So a TSC store will have a very good supply, or any feed and seed style store, Co-op ect.

Also vetrinary syringes come in larger sizes because of the larger animals. Where its hard to find a 10cc at the drug store and the 1cc for diabatics ones are useless, you can get 30ml (ml not cc) syringes at the TSC store.

ski

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
NJ, USA
Wow, lots of great suggestions! I just give the dropper tip a quick wipe w/ a napkin, grab it, and twist it off each bottle. (You can re-use empty dropper bottles or buy new ones at usplastics.com - look for boston round dropper bottles.) Then i pour slowly and carefully from the big bottle to the little one. If I get a little on my fingers, I rinse my hands in the sink. I think absorbing a deadly dose from a drop on your skin will take a loooong time. My skin is pretty liquid repellent - I am not made of absorbent paper towel material, and I don't notice any adverse affects from a few seconds of having a bit of e-liquid touching my skin :) It's not like the liquid drips onto my skin and is instantly a completely absorbed - it just sits there. Maybe if you smeared e-liquid all over your face and neck and waited 10 minutes without washing it off, you might get into problem country?

props76

Moved On
Sep 22, 2009
I don't use syringes because I'm worried about contacting the e-juice, I use them to get a quick, accurate measure with minmal waste.

Add 3 ml of flavor you can count out 60 drops, loosing count 3 times and ending up with nasty e-juice with to much flavor. The syring is very accurate, very quick, and not waste from spills, and residue left on measuring devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread