E-smokers will NOT be hired at 2 FL hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Considering this is legal to do, this is almost grounds for discrimination in my opinion, I know employers are getting away with it and you would lose because they are making you sign something but I would love to find a way to sue the heck out of this Jerk, or even get his coffee for him one morning and spike it, people like this are just to much

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
wow not sure thats 100% legal, how do they have a right to say you cant do something thats legal on your own time? i understand no smoking on the grounds or during work hours but if i am home at night and want something with nicotene i should be able to .

There forcing you to sign an agreement to the employees term Shawn, that's how they are getting away with it, then they do random drug testing and if you pee in the cup and test positive your then fired under grounds of breaking your employer-employee agreement, so it's your choice if you would want to work for a company like this or not

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The article reads in part: "Waterman administrators say, while employing non-smokers can cut medical insurance costs, healthy behavior was the key factor for the new rules, not business."

Employers now define morality...what is healthy and unhealthy Behaviors.

I'm sure there are a ton of other behaviors they might not approve of.
Other behaviors probably have been discussed in their War Room meetings.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
There should certainly be a lawsuit on this, especially since the have excused doctors at the hospitals from the new rules.

I'm sure the hospital administration consulted legal council before making the announcement.

What's amusing is the use of "FDA Approved" products are considered to be an Unhealthy Behavior.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
The article reads in part: "Waterman administrators say, while employing non-smokers can cut medical insurance costs, healthy behavior was the key factor for the new rules, not business."

Employers now define morality...what is healthy and unhealthy Behaviors.

I'm sure there are a ton of other behaviors they might not approve of.
Other behaviors probably have been discussed in their War Room meetings.

we're really not that far away from potential employers asking how many people you sleep with. hey, you might catch a contagious std such as herpes.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
And what happens when a patient who uses nicotine is admitted to the hospital? Hospitals began supplying heart patients with NRT when they found out that it was more stressful on the heart for the patients to be undergoing nicotine withdrawal than to use NRT.

My personal theory is that anyone who experiences serious "withdrawal" symptoms is not evidencing addiction, but rather evidencing that nicotine has been effective in treating underlying conditions that are now untreated (e.g. depression, attention deficit disorder, dementia).

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
One that I can think of is the weight issue. Excessive weight would be a bigger source of concern for me than people who use nicotine.

But that's just me.
Paula

No, it's not just you. And non-nicotine zealots who support this should also ask themselves if they support not hiring ugly people or fat people since they, like smokers, are also not a protected class. My guess is that they would go ballistic if a woman didn't get hired because she was too fat or because she wasn't pretty enough to look at while sitting at the front desk. They won't consider those things though until these discriminatory practices are directed at them or someone they care about.

Last edited:

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Maybe they should also not hire the overweight, underweight, caffeine addicted, engaged in high risk sports, previous head injuries, history of family heart disease, and on and on until they P1$$ everyone off. No one cares about it until it's them that's being alienated.

No, it's not just you. And non-nicotine zealots who support this should also ask themselves if they support not hiring ugly people or fat people since they, like smokers, are also not a protected class. My guess is that they would go ballistic if a woman didn't get hired because she was too fat or because she wasn't pretty enough to look at while sitting at the front desk. They won't consider those things though until these discriminatory practices are directed at them or someone they care about.

I couldn't have said it better, myself. This discrimination has got to end, that's why even though I don't smoke anymore, I still support smokers rights. The antis won't stop until they rid "decent" society of "undesirables" and create a new society, molded in their image.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I couldn't have said it better, myself. This discrimination has got to end, that's why even though I don't smoke anymore, I still support smokers rights. The antis won't stop until they rid "decent" society of "undesirables" and create a new society, molded in their image.

Years ago when I heard someone mention "The New World Order"...
I would consider them to be a Conspiracy theorist.

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
My personal theory is that anyone who experiences serious "withdrawal" symptoms is not evidencing addiction, but rather evidencing that nicotine has been effective in treating underlying conditions that are now untreated (e.g. depression, attention deficit disorder, dementia).

Funny you should mention that Elaine. I had a really good doctor 4-5 years ago who said that he believed smokers were self medicating an underlying depression and gave me samples of a anti-depressive med to try. I was kind of shocked he thought I was depressed, maybe even mildly. Turns out he saw it before I did. I was diagnosed with moderate to severe depression while taking Chantix a year later.

So your theory is supported by at least one doctor I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread