Travel and Vaping E-smoking on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windblown

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2008
USA
That is the big question that I am waiting to have an answer to. You may be the one to blaze the trail. I should think that you could at least get by with it in the restroom.... I can't imagine that it would set off the smoke detectors.

I'm just hoping that security doesn't find a reason to confiscate e-cigs when we go through the check-in. They may look very suspicious to someone who doesn't know what they are.

I did have to spend some time visiting at a hospital this past week and found that I was able to sneak in enough "secret vapes" to keep me from going into nicotine withdrawal seizures.

Be sure to give us a full report of your experience on the airplane when you return.

wb

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hi guys,

This may interest you.

In particular this section:

Anyway...The good news today is the Airline representative has shown interest and wanted a full demo...I'm gonna gather at least 20 or more E-smokers to cram into a cabin simulation to show them it will be safe to smoke in the airplane....and hopefully they will allow the sales of this e-cigs/products to fellow smokers on long haul(hope this will encourage and promote e-smoking further....)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I think a security concern might top any health concern. How easy would it be to make our little tube or pipe into a weapon? Hmmm. Could it be used as a triggering device? I would not be surprised if an airline said "no" to boarding with it.

There ARE other alternatives when cigarettes can't be smoked. Buy some white, dry Swedish mini snus (online ordering). Buy some dissolvable tobacco bits at your local tobacco shop (Stonewall). Chew Firebreak gum (online ordering). I dreaded flying after smoking was banned ... until I researched alternatives that could get me through a few hours of deprivation (we are shamed addicts, aren't we?).

I've very reluctant, still, to use my e-devices where smoking is banned. No one fusses at Cracker Barrell if I pop a Stonewall in my mouth after dinner there. But an e-cig ...? I don't want the hassle.

FYI: I read of the shielding manufacturers have used to hold down electromagnetic radiation. Think about that. We had stories in recent days that cell phones with their electromagnetic radiation might pose a greater health hazard than smoking or obesity. So it's good to know the electronic device we are triggering with each inhalation is not showering us with hazardous low-dose but long-term radiation while we protect ourselves from dangerous chemicals.

windblown

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2008
USA
Obviously, the only problem with using an e-cigarette on an airplane is the "smoke".....otherwise, no one would know what we were doing. So, until e-smoking becomes either accepted in public, or altogether banned, it would be useful to find a way to use the device without the tell-tale vapor.

A few days ago, one of the batteries to my e-cigarette completely fell apart so that the insides came tumbling out. As an experiment, I screwed the empty battery container onto the atomizer to see if I could still breathe in any of the nicotine. I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that I am still inhaling some nicotine, even though the atomizer is not producing any smoke at all. Of course, it is not as satisfying, but perhaps it would be a way to ingest enough nicotine to get through a flight.

Even though this technically would not be any improvement over using a patch, there might be some satisfaction to being able to hold onto our favorite e-cig and at least get some level of nicotine satisfaction.

The question is whether it is actually possible to inhale the nicotine without the smoke, or if it's just a figment of my imagination? :roll:

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
This piece of info was gathered from a patient of mine during one of his long haul flights...No problems at security..no body knows what it is and taken for granted that it is a pen ..He wears a larnyard (penholder) when he boarded the flight...'smoke' himself to glory during the night flight cuz no ones bother him as he is not bothering anyone(most people are asleep) and shared a few puff with the airline stewardess(who were delighted and he manage to inform them about me..They came to my clinic last 3 weeks ago and bought some from me )and sold a couple (cartridges)more to his next seat passengers too.... Never was his flight so successfully easy without jittery nerves all the way to London from Malaysia and never had he has so much attention given to him by the Airline stewardess..Njoy card does help to explain a lot and a serious reprimand from the stewardess always ends short of amazement..I'm Happy..finito. :D

windblown

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2008
USA
Never was his flight so successfully easy without jittery nerves all the way to London from Malaysia and never had he has so much attention given to him by the Airline stewardess..

That is great news...... I hope other carriers and their flight attendants will be as enlightened.

I am old enough to remember the good ole days when we patiently waited for the no smoking light to go off after takeoff so that we could all light up.

Yes, I am very, very old. :p

wb

Meltrex

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2008
Arizona USA
www.MyEcig.com
[quote="windblown]
I am old enough to remember the good ole days when we patiently waited for the no smoking light to go off after takeoff so that we could all light up.

Yes, I am very, very old. :p

wb[/quote]

But your still young at heart :)

Wanted to say thank you for your reply in http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=185&p=886#p886 Gave me encouragement and the drive to move forward with some confidence. I really appreciate it.

CraigB

Jun 10, 2008
Newbie to the board but not new to eCigs

Have ''smoked' by eCig on many planes - including a long flight to South Africa. On that occasion I spoke to the stewardesses as soon as I got on and gave them a demo. They were happy for me to smoke in peace. Got off the plane feeling quite contented having puffed away on and off for a few hours.

In fact that was the only time I've asked for permission. Mostly, I just get on and puff away. You get some funny looks but only one person (in about 30 flights) has come up and asked me what I had - that was more out of curiosity than anything else. Basically, as long as people can't smell it they're reasonably happy. When I first started I felt fairly furtive about it so I smoked it in the loo. For those who feel bad about their habit you'll be pleased to know that it doesn't set the smoke alarm off :D

BTW - never had a problem with it in security; just got asked about it the once (I was smoking it going through security) and the staff were just fascinated.

Hope my experience gives you some confidence about it.

quirky

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2008
TropicalBob said:
FYI: I read of the shielding manufacturers have used to hold down electromagnetic radiation. Think about that. We had stories in recent days that cell phones with their electromagnetic radiation might pose a greater health hazard than smoking or obesity. So it's good to know the electronic device we are triggering with each inhalation is not showering us with hazardous low-dose but long-term radiation while we protect ourselves from dangerous chemicals.

I got out my trusty EMF meter today and I can happily say that you won't die of radiation from it. When the light is lit and one is dragging on it (when the battery is putting out the most power) the e-cig (NJoy model) only gives off less than 1 milligauss electromagnetic radiation. I admit my meter is not the highest resolution out there, but it registers roughly the same as my heart Oh yeah, in case you dont already know, every living thing has an electro-magnetic field. In contrast a clock radio will give off at least 50 x that amount (minimum 5 milligauss) and some will give off much higher. My portable phone also gives off roughly 5 milligauss - and on and on it goes.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Wow. Thanks for measuring. This wasn't on my list of concerns .. and now I know it doesn't need to be!

FYI: I used to do Kirlian photography of whatever the aura is that surrounds things. What a hoot to see the pictures come up. I have no idea what I was photographing, but I got auras from coins, leaves, fingertips cold and fingertips of lovers kissing. I still have the device that creates the instant high voltage (or is it wattage, can't remember). But I did it with film (4X5 and Polaroid Instant, both memories now).

Final note: My favorite was the intense blue aura I got from the ignition key to a Jaguar car. You can see the leaping cat and the aura. Should have been an ad!

Minus Sign

May 2, 2008
TropicalBob said:
I'll bite ... why? What could an x-ray reveal that we don't know is in there?
Not what they reveal but how they look. metal, wires battery, switch (if using a manual kissbox). Someone could assume the atomizer is the explosive of some kinda homemade pipebomb. While a demonstration would prove otherwise...is anyone going to let you prove yout bomb isn't a bomb by potentially activating it and thus "setting it off".

Fear is not rational, and doesn't like being explained to.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm sorry. We were addressing safety with electro-magnetic measurements and we flipped back to security. I misread your x-ray comment. Now I get it! You are RIGHT. Just stop and think about any airline setting this as part of their security policy: Let through something that looks like a cigarette, but has lots of wiring, a battery and gadgetry inside, plus has a cartridge containing an unknown liquid, plus, possibly, a switch on the side.

No way. Get ready for the prospect of being pulled out of line for some lengthy questioning if you carry one of these. The world is a long way away from accepting e-smoking in crowded confinements, IMO. And with the present mood about smoking, I wouldn't bet on it ever being allowed. Don't put all your nicotine-abstention eggs in one basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread