E2 R4 Cartomizer Review 510 Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
Well, I purchased 10 of these new cartomizers. They sounded too intriguing not too! I bought mine at MadVapes. 5 pack for $9.00. These are the 2.8 to 3.0ohm version, and they also have a 2.4 to 2.6ohm version and I got to try one of these that a friend had as well. I have discovered that turning your friends on to e-cigarettes has benefits for yourself as well as them. You get to try what they buy. Score!

Well, these cartomizers are a breakthrough for sure. Just for the simple matter of not having any poly fill of any kind. That means NO burnt filling taste at all. The flavor from these carto's is exponentially better in my opinion. It is a cleaner and stronger flavor than any other atty or carto.

The vapor production on these mutant cartomizers is equally terrific as well. Clouds of vapor from these and with this level of taste and vapor production, it means you do not need your higher voltage gear if you don't want them. Your 3.7v mods will work great with these, the lower or higher resistance versions. I was more than happy to go back to using my little homemade 3.7v mod with these. I mean a single 14500 battery is so cheap, and I can build a 3.7 box for under 8 bucks EASY, and repairing them is dirt cheap, so using these new cartomizers have multiple levels of good reasons behind it.

The drawbacks? Well, filling them is about it. They can be a little more time consuming using PG or PEG400 based juices, and they can be downright difficult if you use 100% VG like I do. Not to worry. The blue tips that come with these cartomizers fit on most syringes, and even though you can not suck up VG with these blue tips, you CAN use the blue tips to fill the carto once the VG is already in the syrinnge.

So filling them is a drawback, but it is so well worth the extra effort to get the improved flavor and vapor production. Try these out, and I doubt very much you will regret it.

Mark Linehan:toast:

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
I have gotten 1 PM and 2 e-mails from people saying they got these and that the taste was burnt and the vapor was lowsy. I am waiting to hear back on what juice they used and if they were from different manufacturers. It seems, like with everything else, there are mixed reviews on these buggers. I love them. I get pure clean taste and tons of vapor at 3.7v. Let us know how they work for you, where you got them, etc.

I get all my hardware at MadVapes. These say RoyalSmokers on the box.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Will do. I s'pose PMs and EMs are better than a barrage of vague negative comments and hopefully you'll get some response on the juice flavors & vendors.

Coincidentally, I ordered the same RoyalSmokers 2.8 to 3.0 ohm cartos and also from MadVapes. I should receive them Monday and I'll share my experience after I've burned through a few mls of TopVapor Fried Apple.

lrd3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
n.j
yah they all kinda tast burnt no matter what i fill them with... tasty vapors 35% vg cov 100% vg top vapors 100% vg from mad vapors............ i dont get it. i started thinking it was the flavors giving the nasty tast. but eaven 50/50 vg pg flavorless has a little burnt tast.... oh well back to dripping..... witch is fine by me............. p.s 2.5 royel smoke on 3.7v box mod

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I'm kind of mixed on them at this point. I got a box of the R4 3.0 in a few days ago. Using them on a Riva. The first one was filled with FSUSA Hypnotic Mist 50/50 and from the first vape tasted and smelled like burning plastic and stayed with the carto. I cleaned it out and then it tasted like the traditional burned wic taste. The vapor production and draw was awesome though, better than I've had with any carto.

I gave up on that one and tried another with the same juice. This one is preforming much better. The draw, flavor and strength is amazing. It's a much warmer vape though and seems a little sweeter than what I've got with the juice when dripping or using an atty so it did change the flavor a bit from what I'm use to. It does get hot fast and shorter draws I find are much better because of the heat.

I'm on my 2nd one and still deciding, it's definitely different, draws fast and warm. I've decided it definitely didn't need any higher voltage which I thought it would at 3ohm. The the draw and vapor production make me keep on trying. Huge amounts of vapor and it's turned the flavor way up. I'll keep working with them and try another flavor in the next one.

Last edited:

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
Okay I have some theories to throw at you all. Take these with a grain of salt. I am not an engineer, and my electronics history is coming back only slowly. Well, let's try to look at this from a logical and deductive point of view. The main complaint seems to be the nasty taste (ie. burnt, plastic, chemical, nasty) I personally have not experienced this YET. (knocks on head)

Now, here are what I believe are the main causes of these nasty, burnt, chemical tastes, etc.. These are just theories I am tossing around here. Feel free to correct, add, subtract, etc..

Old Liquid (I am told that some liquid types will actually go bad, I have not seen this yet and I have juices 3+ months that I tried all of on a drip while writing this post)
Not Enough Liquid (bascially not enough liquid means you get the red coil flavor. If you have ever inhaled the smoke that comes off of a red hot coil, you know how truly nasty this is) #1 worst!!
Running too dry too often or too long and not cleaning afterward
Bad liquids (liquids containing actual sugars or certain oils/these caramelize and quickly burn to thick char) IMHO this is the #2 worst taste - burnt on bad liquid
Voltage too high (for the atty/carto which might be designed for lower V)
Resistance too low (for the atty/carto which might be putting out too much V for it)
Nichrome Coil not cleaned well by manufacturer (could have any number of chemicals, agents coating it)
Nichrome Coil improperly coiled (overlapping coils can cause burn spots by essentially making the coil shorter)
Nichrome Coil improperly cut too long or too short giving the coil more or less resistance (1/4 inch is about 1/2 ohm)
normally 3.7v over 3ohms gives us about 1.2a now this goes up or down by like .2xx amps per quarter inch now going up .2a is no biggie, but dropping below 1amp could ruin flavor I guess)

So there are a good number of possible causes to look at, and there are probably many I am not even thinking of. I have no issues with mine and I love 'em and plan on not using anything other than these. I got 2 new atty's and 2 mega cartomizers when I got my royal smokers and I have hardly touched them after doing a review of them. I hope I haven't just gotten really lucky with my e2 r4's!! That would ^&*@. I am really enjoying these and especially being able to just use a standard 3.7v mod again. Not having to worry about a second battery or a regulator means that I will have a lot more room for experimenting with future mods too!

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
What I would like to know is: Who sells the good ones and who sells the bad ones?

The reviews on these are all over the charts and the difference far too wide ranging for being merely subjective.

Wrt bad liquids... if said liquids vape well on other devices, carts and cartos, lets not blame the liquid here. It is indeed the E2 carto. Process of elimination!

Wrt washing cartos out when we get them, is that really something we should be doing? Shouldn't these things arrive ready to go, from a customers prospective here?

I believe all the negativity from previous releases provided the mfr with sufficient feedback to improve their product. It has come a long way, but it seems it is still not there.

I had a V3 XL that tasted like kerosene, no one can tell me that is was subjective or my liquid's fault. I only received one for reviewing purposes so I don't know if that was a fluke. Regardless I should not have received a product that tasted like kerosene. What say you? So I dismissed the release of the V4s.

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
Absolutely you should not have gotten a product with ANY adverse effects to its use at all. Unfortunately this is not the case it seems. My carto's were RoyalSmokers and they came from MadVapes. I am a loyal and satisfied MadVapes customer. I have no complaints about their products or services. Any issues that came up were resolved immediately. Maybe we should all post a list of where we got the bad cartomizers from and look for a common denominator of some kind? Just a thought.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
lol---keosene nails it...exactly what I said and very nearly tore my throat up for a day...I've found that despite the inconveninces though I cannot find a cartomizer I like well enough to replace them, warts and all...badkolo and several on the massive RoyalSmokers thread are in fairly constant contact with a guy named Martinez who is in charge of this project with e-liquid and he is taking feedback on them and adjusting things on the fly. You are right, we shouldn't have to wash these things out etc., and lets hope that they will see how much the vape community wants them to work and what it can do for their bottom line if they get their QC up to snuff...

What I would like to know is: Who sells the good ones and who sells the bad ones?

The reviews on these are all over the charts and the difference far too wide ranging for being merely subjective.

Wrt bad liquids... if said liquids vape well on other devices, carts and cartos, lets not blame the liquid here. It is indeed the E2 carto. Process of elimination!

Wrt washing cartos out when we get them, is that really something we should be doing? Shouldn't these things arrive ready to go, from a customers prospective here?

I believe all the negativity from previous releases provided the mfr with sufficient feedback to improve their product. It has come a long way, but it seems it is still not there.

I had a V3 XL that tasted like kerosene, no one can tell me that is was subjective or my liquid's fault. I only received one for reviewing purposes so I don't know if that was a fluke. Regardless I should not have received a product that tasted like kerosene. What say you? So I dismissed the release of the V4s.

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Goin' Mobile... eeh ooh, beep beep!
Except for dripping, nothing mass produced seems to work correctly without tinkering, modding, or effing around. These things (True R4's - regular length - not XL's) require the least effort and work extremely well on mass produced PV batteries...

Pre-cleaning is a PITA but necessary at this point. Messing around with ring reinstallation is necessary if you want to make filling easier. After that, it's fill & vape. Clean & dry burn periodically. Fill & vape. And all my juice flavors taste like they're supposed to...

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
and thats the key...

Except for dripping, nothing mass produced seems to work correctly without tinkering, modding, or effing around. These things (True R4's - regular length - not XL's) require the least effort and work extremely well on mass produced PV batteries...

Pre-cleaning is a PITA but necessary at this point. Messing around with ring reinstallation is necessary if you want to make filling easier. After that, it's fill & vape. Clean & dry burn periodically. Fill & vape. And all my juice flavors taste like they're supposed to...

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
Maybe we should all post a list of where we got the bad cartomizers from and look for a common denominator of some kind? Just a thought.

One could get a good box from X company and another bad ones from the same. They have no way of telling good from bad anymore then we do. It's luck of the draw. With that being said I think they're the best thing in carto land at the moment. Haven't used a filler one in many months.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
One could get a good box from X company and another bad ones from the same. They have no way of telling good from bad anymore then we do. It's luck of the draw. With that being said I think they're the best thing in carto land at the moment. Haven't used a filler one in many months.
Unfortunately I cannot agree.

slyfox

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
WV
I do find that cleaning these can make them better.I now use distilled vinager,works great.Then dry burn these are tough they don't burn easy.Don't know what the crappy taste is before cleaning but it does happen.Once cleaned they are fine.I use mine for dripping.

I just got some Sat and have been working with them as well. When I finially got the needle tip in the hole I was surprised at how much it would hold. A big plus, but when I put them in my bag, they leaked very where. How do you use them to drip? I would love to learn how to use this carto for dripping.
Thanks

lrd3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
n.j
i use mine for dripping now. seems like that's all there good for. down side is u can only drip one flavor on them as the extra juice slowly drenches the wick unless u snip the wicks off.... i stick to the reg 510 joye cartos. they have Polly in them but at least they tast good. keep the wet n you will love them. as fare as the new E2s there good for the wet box and dripping imo that's all......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread