E2 Revision 4 Cartomizer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krickster

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
texas
www.thecommerceguild.com
I found 2 different 510 XL R4's from 2 different vendors and there was a HUGE difference!

Both were structurally identical except one version had a filler material wrapped around the stem inside. It was .5 x 1 in and wrapped inside.

I found this quite odd since one of the advertised benefits of the R4 is NO FILLER MATERIAL.

Needless to say, the filler was NOT letting go of it's juice, so I contacted the vendor, got a refund and ordered from a vendor that had them Without the Filler.

It was great for a while, but found as many of you did that the taste takes a drastic drop way before running empty. Laid it on the side or upside down for a bit and all was well again.

I get the feeling that the inner inset on the fill ring, that I assume was introduced to prevent leaking into the cup thru the slits, is restricting the absorbency of the wick within the coil. Maybe the slight leak thru the slits (pre-R4) is just what was needed to keep the coiled wick juicy enough to produce?

Ken

EDIT: Referring to 510 E2 R4 XL

Last edited:

Krickster

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
texas
www.thecommerceguild.com
Here's a design for ya!

A design with a replaceable coiled wick.

Rather than have the contact leads come up and over (as the coil), you would have contact grooves on the cup that connect to the stem and casing. You order 50 pack of coil wicks (full wick with coil attached that "snaps" into the contacts) and simply unsnap old one and snap in the new one into the contacts of the cup.

Profit? Sell the cartos for a bit more more and sell the replacement coil wicks for 50 = $10 or something.

This will eliminate the need to constantly clean and mess with these damn things.

EDIT: Or a lead post contact. Christmas tree lights bulb type design comes to mind ;) Have an affixed coil on the wick that has 2 downward posts or ends. Simply feed the wick ends into the carto and plug those coil ends into 2 contact holes in the cup!

This design would simply make the coil itself portable (replaceable). The coil and wick are the 2 main problems with cartos in general. The gunk, cleaning, etc.. They are also the cheapest components of the carto. If one could simply replace the 2 as a cheap single snap in attachment, then who cares if your carto gets gunked, dirty or doesn't wick anymore after 2 refills.

Last edited:

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
with me it's not a wicking problem
.... it's a wicking problem 'taste'

yes there is a taste problem, but this taste I'm talking about is identical to the taste of a battery going bad and in need of charging
It's a false taste because I know darn well the battery is still good because I can immediately switch to a lower ohm carto and then my battery acts like it's good all of a sudden and can then keep vaping for hours

So with me I suppose the best way to describe it is that so far I only notice a wicking problem TASTE caused by using a very high resistance carto of 3.1 ohms

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
Here's a design for ya!

A design with a replaceable coiled wick.

Rather than have the contact leads come up and over (as the coil), you would have contact grooves on the cup that connect to the stem and casing. You order 50 pack of coil wicks (full wick with coil attached that "snaps" into the contacts) and simply unsnap old one and snap in the new one into the contacts of the cup.

I have been thinking about this too, why don't they just plug one end of the coil to the stem, and then the ground to the nearest point on the carto wall.

The whole cup could be screwed and unscrewed from the stem, and the coil is already in place and connected, because it would get the power from threading the cup to the stem, and the silicone cup lid could be built into the cup and with a metal ring around that cup lid which is where the ground side of the coil would already be soldered to.

It would be as simple as screwing on a new cup, and it would save a lot of expensive shipping and re-shipping money

Last edited:

Krickster

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
texas
www.thecommerceguild.com
I have been thinking about this too, why don't they just plug one end of the coil to the stem, and then the ground to the nearest point on the carto wall.

My idea would simply make the coil itself portable (replaceable). The coil and wick are the 2 main problems with cartos in general. The gunk, cleaning, etc.. If one could simply replace the 2 as a cheap single snap in attachment, then who cares if your carto gets gunked, dirty or doesn't wick anymore after 2 refills.

re: CoiledWick Replacement Design

Last edited:

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
This is discouraging... It sounds like the R4's are performing *worse* than the R3's. Bad taste even with no primer fluid (supposedly), wicking problems are back again...

Damn. I was almost to the point where I was going to stop by CoV and get some Kr8's.

I'll go further than that: I use (on a daily basis) the older "plastic cup" E2 510's. They clean easier than R3's (the filler ring is easier to get in and out) and at the right voltage (around 2.8v) they work perfectly fine. Luckily I ordered a ton of them so I have enough to last a while. The only real drawback to them is that I need a VV device to use them.

I have a batch of R4's on order now, and at this point I really don't know what to expect. It almost seems the more we ask for changes the worse these things get. I'm going to keep an open mind until I get my order to test, but it's starting to look like me and PTB are going to be friends for a long, long time.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Hmm this looks new. I just checked the status on my e-liquid.cn order. Their page shows my order as "processing" but lists the contact for questions about the order as "info@microcig.com". I could almost swear the last order pointed to an "@e-liquid.cn" address. Maybe the head office is taking charge at last.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
They already do this.

My idea would simply make the coil itself portable (replaceable). The coil and wick are the 2 main problems with cartos in general. The gunk, cleaning, etc.. If one could simply replace the 2 as a cheap single snap in attachment, then who cares if your carto gets gunked, dirty or doesn't wick anymore after 2 refills.

re: CoiledWick Replacement Design

Yes, ecf member Vaporer made one a long time ago, you just plug it into something like plugging in 2 chip socket legs in.

carto3-1.jpg

(and the top of the carto comes off, which is also an excellent idea, he has more pics and even instructions on his great post, I will give you all the link for reference and then you can bookmark it or add to favorites)

link to his post:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-replaceable-coil-cartomizer.html#post1680265

The only thing is that the reason I said replace the cup is because it's so much easier to screw and unscrew the cup which would already contain the coil, than to replace the coil by plugging in the two legs. It's possible, but maybe both options should be available, I keep in mind and think of the coil as fragile, so I don't really want to bend it out of shape while plugging in the legs.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
isnt it easier to just vape it for a week and throw it out, or do we really believe they are going to perform a miracle and transform the e2 into these ideas.

it took 3 months to fix a leak and primer. people have recieved orders that range form good to garbage so Ill stick with what i have and make do. we didnt get a new wick and the only reason we got ceramic was the scare of plastic gassing or deforming and causing issues so while these ideas are wonderful i doubt they will lead anywhere . Im guessing the only improvements we will be seeing from this revision out are the new pippets for filling and maybe a new inner plug with a better fill port if we are lucky. I know we want to think of these as atomizers but they are thinking of these as cartomizers and are meant to be disposable and while i love the idea of plopping in a new head(coil and wick) and chucking out the old one I once again doubt thats gonna happen to the e2.

im in a bad mood , cant you tell

Last edited:

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
I don't think it took that long to 'fix', what took long could have been to simply stop selling the garbage

again, what if's dont make this any better, this was going on since june, its october now and it is still going on, people are recieving bad ones STILL yet somehow people think they will perform a 360 miracle and make the worlds finest carto and im telling ya it aint gonna happen

now while maybe for you and me its a non issue and we dont mind waiting others dont feel the same and others are paying the price for it, even now the r4 is out yet there is 5 versions of semi R4's floating around so i doubt these brilliant ideas are doing any good.

I feel bad for some people, here i am vaping on R4's that work like a charm becuase i got good ones meanwhile others are STILL having issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread