Easy bottom feed modification for the Phoenix v4 (ERA clone) RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

_nderscore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
NYC
Just got home and found some Phoenix v4's waiting for me in my mailbox.

Took one out and pressed out the center post and insulator:

rj7gqeQl.jpg

Then, I took a dremel and cut a channel into the insulator. Leaving a little bit of material still there near the base of the insulator. (I didn't cut all the way through the insulator when I got past that little ridge on it)

lCqqVF0.png

cFGK8Dxl.jpg

Put it back toghether and tried putting it on my Reo Grand. Fits perfectly and juice flows straight up the channel I cut without any issue. Seems like it works!

Now, I need to clean this nasty little thing and get rid of all the machine oils :( I want to start using it right now!

Last edited:

_nderscore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
NYC
Good job. Did you have to move or open up the air hole. (I wonder if those insulators will fit the original BF ERA's?)

Oh, almost forgot. To get the positive post all the way out did you just tap it from the top and drive it out through the base?

Jack
:thumbs: Cool!

Are the parts interchangeable with the ERA ?
No idea if the parts are interchangeable. I should have a bottom feeding ERA 1.5 coming to me in the very near future though.

I haven't modified the airhole (yet). I think it's 1mm by default. I would like it a lot better at 1.4mm I think. Wish I had a drill.

To get the positive post out, I unscrewed the screw from the center post, then I put it upside down with the center post on the edge of my table and pressed down on it to get it to pop out. Then, after I got the post out, I used the flat side of the post to press out the insulator.

Last edited:

Gioajack

Resting In Peace
Jul 20, 2012
Conifer, Colorado
Excellent information, we appreciate it.

FYI... with the original ERA many people find that the existing hole produces a fairly tight draw and restricts vapor production. The 2 most common drill bit sizes used to enlarge it are 3/64ths and 1/16. (The 3/64 size is fairly difficult to find unless you have a really good hardware store near you.)

The 1/16th size hole produces a fairly airy draw, (almost everyone has reported that they get accustomed to it and end up really liking it very quickly. I have all my ERA's and Hornets drilled out to 1/16 and the increased vapor production is dramatic.

A $3.00 Cobalt bit will stay sharp enough to drill out 3 or 4 holes.

Again, thanks for the information, time to start lurking in the co-op forum.

Jack

_nderscore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
NYC
Again, thanks for the information, time to start lurking in the co-op forum.
I think theres an active co-op still taking signups.

If that fails, hoosier vapes is selling them for 10 bucks, so it's not bad either way. :p

1/6th is right around 1.5mm which is what I have most of my stuff drilled out to. Definitely going to widen this airhole at some point. Even at the stock 1mm, it's hitting like a champ. Did 2 wraps of 30g kanthal on a doubled-up piece of xc-116 ceramic wick. Producing some nice clouds.

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
Just got home and found some Phoenix v4's waiting for me in my mailbox.

Took one out and pressed out the center post and insulator:

rj7gqeQl.jpg

Then, I took a dremel and cut a channel into the insulator. Leaving a little bit of material still there near the base of the insulator. (I didn't cut all the way through the insulator when I got past that little ridge on it)

lCqqVF0.png

cFGK8Dxl.jpg

Put it back toghether and tried putting it on my Reo Grand. Fits perfectly and juice flows straight up the channel I cut without any issue. Seems like it works!

Now, I need to clean this nasty little thing and get rid of all the machine oils :( I want to start using it right now!

Thats one helluvuh sweet modification. Excellent work. I remember the days not too long ago, when we were drilling through the base of the original Phoenix rebuildable trying to make it bottom feed. It worked pretty well when it wasn't shorting out. That was before the Chalice came out and spoiled us.

What we wont do for a good vape...

_nderscore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
NYC
It was working fantastically all day. Juice was feeding alright, maybe a little bit on the tight side, and all the excess juice was sucked back down the tube no problem.

Then I came home and found my long-awaited bottom-fed ERA waiting for me in my mailbox, set it up, and clumsily shorted the coil against the top cap, melting my reo button and compressing my spring. And I had just put in a new button and spring after destroying them in an accident with the A7's silly loose positive pin a few weeks ago. :(

Oh well, back to the carto tank as my daily carry for a few days while I wait for replacement parts... :facepalm:

Last edited:

FreshSafari

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
Southern California
It was working fantastically all day. Juice was feeding alright, maybe a little bit on the tight side, and all the excess juice was sucked back down the tube no problem.

Then I came home and found my long-awaited bottom-fed ERA waiting for me in my mailbox, set it up, and clumsily shorted the coil against the top cap, melting my reo button and compressing my spring. And I had just put in a new button and spring after destroying them in an accident with the A7's silly loose positive pin a few weeks ago. :(

Oh well, back to the carto tank as my daily carry for a few days while I wait for replacement parts... :facepalm:

Damn I feel for you!:unsure::unsure:

AmnNate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Charleston, SC
I been drilling through the positive post but this method seems much easier and you don't risk breaking a drill bit and wasting one. I signed up for 10 on akya's coop. GREAT FIND!

Well, I don't really need 5 of them, lol. Anybody want to sell me one of their 5 from the co-op? I've got a black Era on order anyhow, but it'd be fun to have one of these to play with in the mean time. I'd really rather support the Era guys, but with it being so hard to get a proper one, this may be a reasonable alternative. Thanks for pointing this out _nderscore!

AmnNate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
Charleston, SC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread