Ecigs banned in Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

sze5003

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
U.S., PA
Well this sucks, the e cigs have been banned from public places in Philly and I think New Jersey as well. Now vapors need to go outside with smokers if they want to use their device.

So stupid, I know we don't know all chemicals involved but there is a difference when you couldn't run because you smoke analogs and after switching to Ecigs can breathe and be more active every day. Not a good thing to find this out.

I use mine at home and in my car on the way to and from work.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
so stupid that a person commits to quitting a smoking habit and is force to be around smokers. I have been a non smoker for 3 weeks and I wont go near the areas at work. I'm not now or ever gonna say smokers are bad, I was one of those people. I just choose to not have it in my lungs anymore, especially while I'm still in a fragile state and could relapse easily. I'm just waiting to hear that folks are banned from smoking outside because someone doesn't like walking past smokers on the street. Its ridiculous to lump vaping in the same category as smoking though both are similar. I haven't heard of any health related issues that couldn't be explained by misuse, ignorance or just plain stupidity. I certainly haven't heard of issues as is related to SMOKING. I'm waiting for the wall to be erected I have a spray can ready to Tag it. Your damn near better off in a third world country at this point.

Skunkworkx

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
Harford County, Maryland
I'm with you Epic.
Over what ? 4000 chemicals in an analog.
Only 4-6 ? in an e-cig/ vape juice .

I was "smoking" Blu's at work (even though they're not allowed) and it's real easy to take a puff anywhere, anytime...too easy to get away with it ;)
Now with the vaporizer, it's a little tougher due to the size :(
The guys I work with (only 4 of 11 smoke) and even the non-smokers are OK with it since I explained what the juice contained Vs. what a cigarette had in it. (can't smell it really unless right in the cloud)

I only wish it was more understood instead of just being grouped in with "smoking" (since it LOOKs like that).

As for the "weak will"....you WILL get past that quick and the smell will also turn your stomach. You won't believe you smelled like that LOL.

The one thing I can say that can help the most is flavors....don't use a tobacco flavor.

Last edited:

poconojo

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Florida
I'm with you Epic.
Over what ? 4000 chemicals in an analog.
Only 4-6 ? in an e-cig/ vape juice .

I was "smoking" Blu's at work (even though they're not allowed) and it's real easy to take a puff anywhere, anytime...too easy to get away with it ;)
Now with the vaporizer, it's a little tougher due to the size :(
The guys I work with (only 4 of 11 smoke) and even the non-smokers are OK with it since I explained what the juice contained Vs. what a cigarette had in it. (can't smell it really unless right in the cloud)

I only wish it was more understood instead of just being grouped in with "smoking" (since it LOOKs like that).

As for the "weak will"....you WILL get past that quick and the smell will also turn your stomach. You won't believe you smelled like that LOL.

The one thing I can say that can help the most is flavors....don't use a tobacco flavor.
What is wrong with using tobacco flavors? Also, if you are using Blu, you are supporting big tobacco. Blu is owned by Lorillard.

MartyZ

Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
St Charles, MO, USA

I agree, and if that becomes the basis of the argument, because it LOOKS like it, then I think food chains should be banned from serving root beer in bottles to minors at a restaurant.

What I'd like to see city councils (including my own) do is allow the vape at the discretion of the owners. That's sort of the way things are going here - some establishments are cool with it, so they don't ask anyone to stop. That said, the vapers for their part should be polite, with no huge clouds, not in front of the kids, and those sorts of things. But a bar? Even when they banned the analogs for the most part, I thought that too should have been up to the owners. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just a bit heavy-handed, with little wiggle room, depending upon the establishment and the owner's preferences.

The vape, however, I think offers much more wiggle room. Besides, this could be something quite difficult to actually enforce and the sheer ease of the stealth vape may force them to reconsider some of those parameters.

Personally, I don't think they should be making regulations like that on speculation, and must prove harm in the first place. The precautionary principle does have its limits, it wouldn't be possible to apply it to everything.

As far as "it looks like," what about actors using the vape in a performance in lieu of analogs in a smoke-free theatre? Possible First Amendment issues with any of the "but it looks like" arguments.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
My take on it is that vaping will be banned everywhere, just like cigs, as soon as FDA rules start being enforced that are coming down.
We will have to adapt and accept what smokers have had to do and that is go outside, if that is even allowed.

Many companies won't allow smoking on their property at all anymore.. The city councils will all adapt these rules to stay politically correct no matter how much vapers scream otherwise.

Skunkworkx

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
Harford County, Maryland
I think the "looks like a cigarette" is doing the most harm (Blu, Victory,ETC.) So the ones using vaporizers (Tsunami, Ego, Tank-types) are getting the same treatment due to the "smoke".
But the "holier than Thou" gang in power have a "My way or else" attitude about things that they should find out more before waving the magic wand thinking it will disappear.

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck :facepalm:

sze5003

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
U.S., PA
The funny thing is, when I started vaping a couple of years ago, I didn't see anyone with interest in ecigs. Just recently I've been driving around and I have seen people with vaporizers and custom ecigs.

I'm suprised I have not been piled over yet and asked what it was.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JeansV

Apr 26, 2014
IL
The vape, however, I think offers much more wiggle room. Besides, this could be something quite difficult to actually enforce and the sheer ease of the stealth vape may force them to reconsider some of those parameters.
Quite right. I just came back from lunch here in Chicago sitting in a corner vaping. Nobody said anything, I don't think anybody noticed it - and most importantly: Nobody was bothered. These bans are impossible to enforce - especially as long as we don't bother anybody.

Rlrick

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2014
Carl Junction,Mo
That I have to agree with Wagonator. Just the other day while at the Doctors office they asked me if I smoked. Well I got to say no and that I had been off cigarettes for 4 months. I also told them that I was vaping and my nicotine level was down to 4%. The Dr. did not know what I was talking about vaping then the Dr. asked me was I using a e-cigarette and I said it was the same thing. This goes to show you how people relate vaping to smoking. The Dr. was very curious how I was doing on my nicotine reduction and that's when I told him that I had started at 12% and now down to 4%. He was very pleased with my actions.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
It looks like smoking; that's it. Non smokers and smokers will complain; companies and municipalities don't want to deal with complaints from non smokers who think it is the same as smoking and smokers who are angry that they can't smoke, but that vapers can vape. Easiest thing to do is prohibit vaping where smoking is prohibited. It has nothing to do with the FDA or danger, but has everything o do with image.

TheRac25

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
The tax farm known as USA.
a large part of the issue is the name e-cigarette . weve lumped ourselves in with tobacco by name association. If it had always been referred to as a PV then we could associate it more with say .. chewing gum for flavor or drinking soda ect

cigarettes are the devil and e-cigarette is equally scary, we are shooting ourselves in the foot

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The more vapers blow huge clouds, the more we will be asked to walk outside with it. I'm a non-smoker. What if I don't want to stand and breathe in tobacco smoke? That's why I QUIT smoking cigarettes.

Stealth vaping as much as we can would ease the issue. I understand why 4 foot clouds of sub ohm vapor could make us be treated just like smokers.

Someone needs to invent a mod and a juice recipe that delivers taste, satisfaction, and the same feel of vaping, but with almost no visible exhale. Then, it wouldn't be offensive to non-smokers. Wait, that's a cig-a-like or an old eGo with a cartridge atomizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread