ECO - Organization Charter: Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
There is a lot to discuss and I'm sure the moderators don't want these threads to monopolize the Campaigns category. I would like to suggest we merge the 8 steps (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-initial-web-site-mockups-charter-motion.html) into two new threads:

1. ADMINISTRATION: Defining the written mission statement, key objectives and what we'd like to accomplish.

2. ORGANIZATION: Interim Officers (subject area experts, this is the time to come forward), Org Chart and Finances. No one has been elected anything here, we just need to define the roles and duties. Do we need a board or President? Single directors or team leaders? Creation of a bank account and online donation.

Whether this group becomes a lobbying force or just a central (web based) repository for FAQs and current news items is up to the users. The conversation regarding the organizational name and interim web site are continuing, this thread is for the discussion of the goals and key objectives of this users group.

This thread is for ADMINISTRATIVE commentary. Below are a few of my thoughts to get the ball rolling, feel free to agree, disagree or add to this list. The consensus will become the first draft of our charter, so please speak up now!

Once the charter is written and agreed upon, the site will go from a placeholder web site to a SQL based database driven site with some of the SEO tricks of the trade that help our counterpoint arguments show up in Google searches. Most media sound bites are drawn from a five-minute search of the web for "objective" conventional wisdom. It's time we fought the media war not by attacking the journalists, but by providing easy to find fodder in the same places they are finding and regurgitating anti-ecig stories already.

• There will be NO banner ads or sponsors, suppliers ARE users and everyone is equal. Any articles or FAQs will be stripped of sigs or slanted commentary by a board of members to avoid bias. (With obvious exception where it might lend credibility to the article)
  • Some members are more politically motivated than others. For them, events and "tea party" gatherings will be posted as an opportunity for users to be more vocal and encourage public discussion outside the internet realm.
  • Newbie questions will be posted in FAQ formats, so when the same questions are asked, ECF regulars can reference the site instead of replying ad nauseum or pointing them to long threads.
  • By the same token, the ECF would be referenced heavily on the site and directly linked from the home page. For several reasons, the synergy between the ECF and any users group web site is key to the success of the group.
I'm sure there are many other ideas and key objectives that will evolve during the discussion but that's the jest of what I see as happening. Of course, I am just one opinion and I am as excited as you in seeing where and what this will become.

Let’s don’t lose the momentum!

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
First off, thank you SO much for grabbing this and running with it. You're doing great!

From your initial comments (which I agree with) I see a primary focus firming up for this organization...information management (the collection, management and distribution of information). You are spot on with needing the synergy between this organization and e-cig forums. The forums are the logical vehicles for consumer discussions, questions, reporting (news articles, local legislation, etc). No sense re-inventing the wheel here. This organization collect and organizes information from multiple sources, including the forums, and provides distribution interfaces...FAQs, SME (subject matter expert) contact lists, searchable databases, educational packets, whatever.

BTW, on the donations point. I agree that it needs to be moved to a support page, where we also make things available for purchase (t-shirts, mugs, lanyards, etc) with profits going to the organization.

Ohhh, I'm excited...we're out of the gate!
-Kathy

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Here are some first pass ideas I see, building on your talking points in the OP. It's probably more detail than you need right now, but thought I'd throw it out there as input anyhow.

Consumer organization not affiliated with any vendor or manufacturer.

Collect /maintain information pertaining to the e-cigarette in the following areas
* generic product data (the basics on hardware, liquid, variants, usage, supply streams, etc)
* legislation/campaigning
- FDA action
- existing bans (worldwide, local US areas
- proposed ban
- tea-party plans
* testing status/reports
* new user question/answers
* SME expertise and contact info
* Blockades (shipping, paypal, ebay, etc)

Distribute information (multiple media formats)
* General information
- FAQs (newbie, jounalist)
- searchable database
*Educational
- Business (restaurants, bars, etc)
- Medical industry
- Law enforcement
- Government​
* Legislative
- ban reports
- active legislation report/status
- tea-parties events
- campaign support packets (lessons learned, tips, SME list, for those fighting city hall)​
* News articles

jwhite

Jul 30, 2009
Greenfield, IN
How is this for an initial Mission Statement:

The mission of the ECO is to inform, educate and promote the development and use of alternatives to conventional tobacco use. It is an unbiased, non-profit international organization dedicated to the advocacy of its members and their rights.

Comments?

I like it Webby, but I'd like to see something about user safety as well. I personally am not very good with words, or I'd add a well written sentence in there.

PS: Where is everyone else on this? I thought we had more support on this? I know it's labor day weekend, but sheesh....

RobertY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Stupid question. If we are for the inclusion of PV's over an item like such as Chantix does that not mean that we are indeed biased?

But I also would like to see a nod toward consumer safety in the mission statement.

But as Mission Statements are supposed to be short, sweet, and to the point Webby you have got a great start on one.

The mission of the ECO is to inform, educate and promote the development and use of alternatives to conventional tobacco use. It is an unbiased, non-profit international organization dedicated to the advocacy of its members and their rights.

Comments?

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Stupid question. If we are for the inclusion of PV's over an item like such as Chantix does that not mean that we are indeed biased?

I guess to fair to the spirit of the name (whatever it end up being) Chantix supporters would have as much right in a "smoking alternative" group as any other homeopathic or pharm concoction.

...now just how much support and brotherly love they would feel in a group that would be 99.5% e-cig owners is up for debate. The original idea was to leave the door open to introduction of future inventions.

But I also would like to see a nod toward consumer safety in the mission statement.

Funny, I had thought about saying:

"The mission of the ECO is to inform, educate and promote the development and use of safe and legal alternatives to conventional tobacco use. It is an unbiased, non-profit international organization dedicated to the advocacy of its members and their rights. " but took it out at the last minute because I didn't want to deal with exactly WHO would be the Czar that would deem them as safe - thoughts?

Last edited:

RobertY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Arg that one is tough. I can see the point of saying "safe" would be a no no.

I wish I was better at wording things. Here I can write a book but bite when it comes to documents.

What about the word "safer"? But is that even a no no until test results are out proving then safer beyond a shadow of a doubt than analogs?

Well I think part of our public awareness campaign and function will (or should) include funding tests periodically as a method of portraying health related concerns of various represented products. It would be completely acceptable for an unbiased, non-supplier agency to promote "safe" if that is what periodic on-going test results proved. At it's formation it may be primarily e-cigs users, but as time progresses who knows what products and methods we discover, invent, fund or promote. I think we should come up with a "badge" for products submitted for testing to us and "certified" as, (i hate to use the wrong lingo here), accepted, passed to standards, ummm... at a later date...

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran

Comments?

The mission of the <organization name here> is to educate the world of all safer alternatives to the traditional use of tobacco products, to promote the latest technological breakthroughs in all related industries, to support the approach and benefit such industries might bring to all men and women who so desire such support, and to inform all who will listen of the intrinsic value of the products these industries provide. Though our organization will never endorse industries that promote the initiation of any form of chemical dependence, the <organization name here> stands steadfast in our understanding for, our willingness to empathize with, and the promotion of safer alternatives to those who choose to live with such dependencies at their own Liberty. Our objective is the betterment of mankind, the much needed representation for all of our constituents in their search for relief, and the promotion of the individual liberty of all. Our promise is to never allow the integrity of our organization to be challenged by those who oppose that freedom of choice we so avidly promote by maintaining a Board comprised strictly of consumers; and by distancing ourselves from any formal, direct, or secretive ties with any entity associated with the manufacturing, distribution, regulation or sale of any products that fall under the guise of the industries whose consumers we represent.

Had a few minutes between packing orders. Let me know what you folks think.

If you would simply like to add some points, please feel free.

I really just built on Webby's original statement... elaborated if you will.

Last edited:

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
Webby, I think your mission statement is superb.

I guess to fair to the spirit of the name (whatever it end up being) Chantix supporters would have as much right in a "smoking alternative" group as any other homeopathic or pharm concoction.

...now just how much support and brotherly love they would feel in a group that would be 99.5% e-cig owners is up for debate. The original idea was to leave the door open to introduction of future inventions.

I think it makes sense to leave the door open but not much so.

If Chantix supporters have a right to be present I think it would undermine the organization. Most of the supporters of the organization will have no belief in and perhaps nothing but disdain for Chantix. And if the mission statement isn't specific enough to exclude Chantix then not having them present shows bias.

It might be argued that the word "alternative" excludes NRTs. That would be my interpretation.

Still, perhaps a small tweak would help. How about "... and use of effective alternatives to conventional tobacco use." The word "effective" is of course somewhat open to interpretation. I do think that an overwhelming majority of ECO members would support the stance that Chantix is not effective. (Dictionary definition of effective: "adequate to accomplish a purpose; producing the intended or expected result")

Another thought: as it stands ("alternatives to conventional tobacco use") the statement may or may not exclude snus. Are snus "conventional"? Depends where you live. In most of the world I think they are unconventional. But again I'd prefer to see them excluded from this organization's interests. They and pretty much anything other than vaping at the current time would muddy the waters.

It does seem that almost all vapers are specifically replacing smoking. What do you think of the following?

"... and use of effective alternatives to smoking."

or even

"... and use of effective alternatives to smoking and tobacco."

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The mission statement I posted a couple posts back could probably stand to be paraphrased. I just re-read it and am surprised I was even capable of drawing up something like that as I'm really just not much of a writer.

Anyway, looking forward to your feedback Webby, as well as the feedback of everyone else.

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
The mission of the <organization name here> is to educate the world of all safer alternatives to SOAP, to promote the latest technological breakthroughs in all related industries, to support the approach and benefit such industries might bring to all men and women who so desire such support, and to inform all who will listen of the intrinsic value of the products these industries provide. Though our organization will never endorse industries that promote the initiation of any form of chemical dependence, the <organization name here> stands steadfast in our understanding for, our willingness to empathize with, and the promotion of safer alternatives to those who choose to live with such dependencies at their own Liberty. Our objective is the betterment of mankind, the much needed representation for all of our constituents in their search for relief, and the promotion of the individual liberty of all. Our promise is to never allow the integrity of our organization to be challenged by those who oppose that freedom of choice we so avidly promote by maintaining a Board comprised strictly of consumers; and by distancing ourselves from any formal, direct, or secretive ties with any entity associated with the manufacturing, distribution, regulation or sale of any products that fall under the guise of the industries whose consumers we represent.

eric, I think it is necessary to burst your bubble here. Your post makes as much sense with SOAP inserted for the subject as just about anything else in the universe. That kind of generality does not make much of a mission statement.

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
eric, I think it is necessary to burst your bubble here. Your post makes as much sense with SOAP inserted for the subject as just about anything else in the universe. That kind of generality does not make much of a mission statement.

I don't see how such a conclusion could be drawn.

At best, we might need to throw in "tobacco alternative" or any of the various ways of phrasing it, but aside from that, your point makes less sense than my proto-mission statement does...

I understand the mission statement is supposed to be a summary of the task at hand, but there is no limit to its length or generality.

But as I said, it could stand for some paraphrasing.

Last edited:

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
How about changing "educating the world" to educating consumers?

I went with world because we want everyone to know, even non-smokers, how important tobacco alternatives are for those who need them. Not to mention, we're likely going to be an internationally-active organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread