[Edited] vaporizers for DIY heat-not-burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I read that the big tobacco companies are selling their heat not burn vaporizers in Japan and a few other places but not yet in the US. Aren't there [edited] vaporizers on the market that could be used to do the same thing? Has anybody tried that?

Speaking for myself, I have no interest. My vape is as perfect as it ever needs to be and costs me nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Nope. Forum rules

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm not reflecting any news story. I'm thinking freely. Couldn't any so-called [edited] vaporizer be used with loose tobacco too have a heat not burn experience without paying the tobacco company prices, which will be high no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eastcoaster91

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I'm suddenly wondering the same and on top of that wondering why it isn't or hasn't been an option for a long time. I'm figuring it just doesn't work and we never heard about it or nobody ever considered it, but why wouldn't a traditional dry vaporizer work on tobacco?

I would have no interest in it either, personally, but with all this "zero-nic-combustible” nonsense going about, this idea seems a little less ridiculous, at least.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Let's be VERY careful where we go with this folks. The discussion of vaporizing loose leaf tobacco is kosher. Any other mention of that "other stuff" is not.

Here's an ongoing thread discussing vaping loose leaf tobacco.

Vaporizing loose leaf tobacco

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I've tried it a couple of times. Never did anything for me and wasn't enjoyable at all. Vaping eliquid was a million times better. Granted I have had some eliquids that have been just as horrible lol

Interesting to hear. I'm curious what you used - was it a high power tabletop unit or a battery-driven handheld? You felt no satiation at all?

[EDIT] I have to add, this is the weirdest topic because I couldn't care less about it personally, yet couldn't be more morbidly curious about it in general.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Granted I have had some eliquids that have been just as horrible lol
Beat me to it. I've had godawful liquid pass these lips any of them would be better.

Saying goodbye to tobacco is hard to do, so I can understand the interest. If the loose leaf warmer upper devices reduce harm then ok.

But we have a better way of getting from there to here. Or here to there. Or something.

eastcoaster91

Aug 8, 2017
Interesting to hear. I'm curious what you used - was it a high power tabletop unit or a battery-driven handheld? You felt no satiation at all?

[EDIT] I have to add, this is the weirdest topic because I couldn't care less about it personally, yet couldn't be more morbidly curious about it in general.
It was a Volcano table top unit and it was more or less just an experiment. I felt nothing except a slightly sick feeling. The taste wasn't good at all. Maybe if it had been a flavored pipe tobacco(perhaps cherry) it might of been better.

Reactions: stols001

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
It was a Volcano table top unit and it was more or less just an experiment. I felt nothing except a slightly sick feeling. The taste wasn't good at all. Maybe if it had been a flavored pipe tobacco(perhaps cherry) it might of been better.

Yeah, I wonder. Hell, imagine, if shisha managed to be enjoyable you could have yourself a makeshift e-hooka lickety-split.

eastcoaster91

Aug 8, 2017
Yeah, I wonder. Hell, if shisha managed to be enjoyable you could have yourself a makeshift e-hooka lickety-split.
I actually like shisha and some of the non traditionals. I'm more of the crazy flavors and I used to go to our local hookah bar quite a bit(rum and coke was a favorite flavor).

Reactions: RainSong

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I actually like shisha and some of the non traditionals. I'm more of the crazy flavors and I used to go to our local hookah bar quite a bit(rum and coke was a favorite flavor).

I miss a proper hookah bar. There are a couple of holdouts here in Vancouver, but it's not the same without the tobacco blend (it's essentially herbal shisha). Really a shame, it's a nice way to enjoy an evening with friends.

Weird talking longingly about a tobacco product. You won't hear that outta me about cigs.

NHXJer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2013
United States
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Nope nope nope. Let's not go there please.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The heat

I use one style of rda, one particular mod, make my own liquid, and have years supply of everything. I have no plans to "improve" my vape and have zero interest in any vaping products on the market yet I follow what's available. Heat not burn is fascinating because the tobacco companies are betting the store on it and I think it's a bad bet. So what do they know that I don't?

I glanced at the other thread about DIY heat not burn. It seems to be distracted by political correctness. It should be allowed to talk about legal products we don't use.

I'm glad the tobacco companies are working on heat not burn because even though it's almost certainly a bit higher risk than vaping it's much harder for the anti crowd to say it should be banned because the ingredient, tobacco, is already on the market but used without combustian. It's also important because if the tobacco industry can't participate in the vape market they will be less supportive of actions to phase out cigarettes.

Speaking for myself, I'd love to live in a place where nobody is interested in drugs, alcohol or smoking, not because of bans, simply lack of interest. May be the FDA has come up with a plan for doing that with cigarettes. It sounds very promising to me. May be we'll find a way to do the same to the other two.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It seems to be distracted by political correctness. It should be allowed to talk about legal products we don't use.

1. it's not a legal product. Just because some states have passed it, doesn't make it legal on a federal level.
2. ECF is an international site. Many countries have even harsher penalties than the US does.
3. And finally: Why we don't allow drug talk

This is not open for debate. We will not be relaxing this rule anytime soon, if at all.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think you are talking about the IQOS. There are several threads on this forum about it, you could do a site search and read up about it. I don't think the IQOS is a terrible thing to add to the harm reduction market, but from what I've read I have no interest in trying it, mainly because I'm happy where I'm at, it sounds like it has several serious design flaws, and it's not versatile like a vape. I'd be shocked to find out if it was AS SAFE as e-cigs, but it's probably safer than cigarettes. I think there will be a market for it for some smokers who may have failed at vaping (most likely cigalike products) and I am quite sure it will be marketed heavily, so it may help some smokers transition, even eventually to vaping. Whether they do or not, I'm not opposed to another harm reduction product on the market, even if I consider it unsuited to my needs, because I could see some smokers trying it and being successful (but most likely, poor, or at least, paying the same as smoking).

I guess we'll see how it pans out when it gets here.

I have never tried to vaporize tobacco and I tried a hookah once. Once, because it was the foulest thing ever, though I think? it may be less harmful than smoking, but Idk for sure....

Anna

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Convection and conduction vaporizers have been on the open market for well over 20 years.
The are designed to use loose leaf tobacco or legal herbs such as non tobacco blends.

They work, somewhat, taste horrible and leave a mess.

They are not anywhere close to being as efficient as modern APVs.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Convection and conduction vaporizers have been on the open market for well over 20 years.
The are designed to use loose leaf tobacco or legal herbs such as non tobacco blends.

They work, somewhat, taste horrible and leave a mess.

They are not anywhere close to being as efficient as modern APVs.
So may be the generic heat not burn vaporizers haven't caught on for tobacco because they are messy and labor intensive. So part of the BT modern solution is disposible cartridges. They may add a bit of pg or vg to make more visable vapor. That would be messy DIY. I'm sure I'll be puffing on the same RDA and a Pico till I'm not vaping anymore.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
So may be the generic heat not burn vaporiders haven't caught on for tobacco because they are messy and labor intensive. So part of the BT modern solution is disposible cartridges. They may add a bit of pg or vg to make more visable vapor. That would be messy DIY. I'm sure I'll be puffing on the same RDA and a Pico till I'm not vaping anymore.

It's cheaper for BT, is extremely primitive tech, uses tobacco in a readily available form, avoids new FDA problems, and allows BT to roll out a product with very little additional manufacturing costs.
It's all about that money.

Convection vapes use hot air to blow across dry leaf organic matter to bake it until it releases active ingredients (nic, WTAs, etc) without combustion.

It's extremely inefficient, though probably a bit "cleaner" than inhaling hot smoke.

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's cheaper for BT, is extremely primitive tech, uses tobacco in a readily available form, avoids new FDA problems, and allows BT to roll out a product with very little additional manufacturing costs.
It's all about that money.

Convection vapes use hot air to blow across dry leaf organic matter to bake it until it releases active ingredients (nic, WTAs, etc) without combustion.

It's extremely inefficient, though probably a bit "cleaner" than inhaling hot smoke.
Reports are that BT has spent $100's of millions in researching and tooling. Vape style products would be much simpler and cheaper and that may be the problem. May be they are creating a heat not burn system that doesn't suck AND can't be so easily done DIY like vaping. BT support for harm reduction is more likely if they can have a peice of the action. I won't begrudge them that so long as the products I favor are available too.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
"Hundreds of millions of dollars for tooling" sounds like pure BS.

Im a retired machinist.
There would be no need for that.
It's 19th century tech.
Aromatherapy with a straw.

This might be a way to get a tobacco system in place that uses the catch phrases like "vape" and "no burn", as well as avoiding any pesky FDA regs, which these bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread