Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Hi and welcome

18650 or 26650 is going to depend on what your device uses.

1.2 ohm pretty much any acceptable battery on mooch's list from a reputable dealer on his list
c2c80bbd-df5c-40ee-be63-4f630457a6b2-jpeg.725809

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
For MTL style vaping you won't need a high amp battery. One with high MAH (milliamp hours) will serve you better. Choose the 3000ma battery with the highest amp rating. Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC6, and LG HG2 are long time favorites for people who vape as you do.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Howdy! 18650 vs 26650 batteries and what battery would you recommend for "mid ohm" 1.2 or so, vaping with long life? I'm still trying to understand ohm's and amps! Damn old brain!
Are you using a regulated device or a mech?

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Howdy! 18650 vs 26650 batteries and what battery would you recommend for "mid ohm" 1.2 or so, vaping with long life? I'm still trying to understand ohm's and amps! Damn old brain!
Are you using a regulated mod or an unregulated mechanical mod? Knowing this would help us to advise you.

There are many more choices of batteries in the 18650 format than 26650. Also have to consider the availability of 26650 batteries where you purchase your batteries; they are still rather rarely seen. In the 18650 format, we know the major manufacturers (Lg, Samsung, and Sony) make the top batteries available. In the 26650 format I'm not sure there are any dominant manufacturers that have established a reliable reputation yet. At this point in time, I don't see any advantage to using a 26650 over an 18650.

Concerning understanding ohms and amps, it helps to understand their relationship to each other concerning vaping.

Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers
  • My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in simple layman terms and how it relates to vaping.
Ohm's is the measurement of electrical resistance in our wire coils.

Amps, in laymen's terminology, is a value of electrical current. Batteries have what is known as an "amp limit", which is a value of how much current a battery can release safely without causing harm to the battery. Also known as the continuous discharge rate, or CDR.

If you increase the resistance of the coil then less electrical current is allowed to flow through the coil. The lower the electrical flow through the coil, the cooler the coil will burn, and the cooler your vape will be.

(higher coil resistance = less current to the coil = cooler vape)​

On the inverse if we increase the electrical flow by lowering the resistance in our coil we will see a higher electrical flow that will result in a hotter coil and a warmer vape.

(lower coil resistance = more current to the coil = hotter vape)​

Coil resistance will have what is called the "amp draw". This calculation (using Ohms Law) pre-determines how many amps of electrical current will be drawn from the battery to the coil. The battery has a limited amount of current it can provide safely, known as the amp limit, or continuous discharge rate. Different batteries will have a different amp limit.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.15 ohms = 28 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway​

If the amp draw calculation has a higher value than the battery's amp limit, the battery may over-heat and cause irreversable internal damage to the battery, possibly resulting in explosion or flames.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks @AzPlumberStill, the iJoy 26650 batteries, which seem to no longer be available at IMR, have good specs (If they are true). Hope so because I own 4 of them.
I read somewhere (sorry I don't have a link) that Aspire, who I believe is the manufacturer of the iJoy batteries has stopped making them. I appologize in advance if I misread that information. @Mooch ? Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

18650s and 26650s should both work for you, provided you get one with a high enough CDR. CDR is measured in amps and 'high enough' depends on your wattage if you're using a regulated mod and your resistance (ohms) if you're using a mech. Let us know the details and we'll be happy to help you work it out.

If you choose a 26650, the advantage is you should be able to get a battery with a charge that lasts longer (this is measured in mAh). The disadvantage is that there are fewer batteries available and they're all rewraps, meaning that the actual battery under the plastic wrap (and its CDR and mAh) could change at any time.

If you choose an 18650, you'll sacrifice a little in terms of time between charges, but the batteries are more widely available and you'll be able to choose batteries from reliable manufacturers rather than rewraps.

I'd be inclined to recommend 18650s just for the reliability factor, but you'd probably be fine either way.

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    Northern CA
    Are you using a regulated mod or an unregulated mechanical mod? Knowing this would help us to advise you.

There are many more choices of batteries in the 18650 format than 26650. Also have to consider the availability of 26650 batteries where you purchase your batteries; they are still rather rarely seen. In the 18650 format, we know the major manufacturers (Lg, Samsung, and Sony) make the top batteries available. In the 26650 format I'm not sure there are any dominant manufacturers that have established a reliable reputation yet. At this point in time, I don't see any advantage to using a 26650 over an 18650.

Concerning understanding ohms and amps, it helps to understand their relationship to each other concerning vaping.

Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers
    • My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in simple layman terms and how it relates to vaping.
    Ohm's is the measurement of electrical resistance in our wire coils.

Amps, in laymen's terminology, is a value of electrical current. Batteries have what is known as an "amp limit", which is a value of how much current a battery can release safely without causing harm to the battery. Also known as the continuous discharge rate, or CDR.

If you increase the resistance of the coil then less electrical current is allowed to flow through the coil. The lower the electrical flow through the coil, the cooler the coil will burn, and the cooler your vape will be.

(higher coil resistance = less current to the coil = cooler vape)​

On the inverse if we increase the electrical flow by lowering the resistance in our coil we will see a higher electrical flow that will result in a hotter coil and a warmer vape.

(lower coil resistance = more current to the coil = hotter vape)​

Coil resistance will have what is called the "amp draw". This calculation (using Ohms Law) pre-determines how many amps of electrical current will be drawn from the battery to the coil. The battery has a limited amount of current it can provide safely, known as the amp limit, or continuous discharge rate. Different batteries will have a different amp limit.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
    0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
    0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
    0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
    0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
    0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
    0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
    0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
    0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
    0.15 ohms = 28 amp draw
    0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
    0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway​

If the amp draw calculation has a higher value than the battery's amp limit, the battery may over-heat and cause irreversable internal damage to the battery, possibly resulting in explosion or flames.
    Regulated mods, thanks! My newest is Geekvape Aegis, quite wonderful!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread