• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Efest IMR 18650 2000mah Safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
So I bite the bullet and ordered a Provari after much thought, and then a quick impulsive decision when the Black Friday sale was offered at Provape.

I am debating whether to purchase the Efest IMR 18650 2000mah batteries for it... I have seen reviews saying the tests show that the Efests are practically the same as AW output, but are they just as safe? I don't know much about them and have searched and found a few posts about safety... some say they are practically identical to the AW IMR's, both are chemically safe and may vent but won't explode. The AW's have a reputation for no problems, or very little at all... do the Efest's have a low incidence of venting as well?

My issue is that other posts said that Provape won't honour the warranty unless you use the AW IMR batteries... they are slightly more expensive and I am leaning toward buying them anyway but if the Efest have the same chance of problems I am tempted to go with the Efests since I can buy other items from the same vendor and save on shipping.

Edit... Is the Trustfire T001 charger good enough for either AW / Efest IMR's? Do I need to buy a more expensive charger or should I instead just buy a Multimeter and check the batteries after charging?

Last edited:

bk78

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
I run the efests in my mini. So far they're good but seem to be dropping voltage already where as my AWs still charge up to 4.2 volts and the efests only 4.1 volts so they are dropping. I've been using the AWs about a month longer. I'd stick with the AWs if I were you. I believe they vent just like the AWs but I'm no battery expert. :2c:

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
Why not ask Provape what batteries you have to use to honor your warranty

I run the efests in my mini. So far they're good but seem to be dropping voltage already where as my AWs still charge up to 4.2 volts and the efests only 4.1 volts so they are dropping. I've been using the AWs about a month longer. I'd stick with the AWs if I were you. I believe they vent just like the AWs but I'm no battery expert. :2c:

I have read on other posts that Provape told another person, nicely, that the warranty would be void if using batteries other than AW IMR... but I just read their instruction manual and it said they recommend high drain IMR's but didn't mention AW. I will email them to make sure.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I have read on other posts that Provape told another person, nicely, that the warranty would be void if using batteries other than AW IMR... but I just read their instruction manual and it said they recommend high drain IMR's but didn't mention AW. I will email them to make sure.

I think that would be better than our opinions, as they are the last word on their warranty and what they recommend :)

ETA: I recall reading somewhere on their site AW branded but a few weeks ago I noticed the same as you, that it just said high drain IMR's. I would be curious as to if they changed something.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Just found this on their site:
We recommend only using AW IMR high drain batteries in your ProVari Mini
You must use batteries that have a positive button on the top. Flat top batteries will not work. Using magnets on top of your batteries will void the warranty.

and this:
Tips:

Batteries - We recommend only using the approved AW brand 18350 and 18490 with extension cap in the ProVari Mini. All of the batteries that we sell on our website have been tested to work with the ProVari Mini and these are the only cells you should use. Using the wrong battery will void your warranty and could damage the unit. Never use magnets on top of your batteries as this is very dangerous and will void all warranties.

There is a big difference between all the different batteries on the market and a lot of testing has been done on these various batteries. The reason we recommend using AW high drain cells is because these cells can output more current providing the ProVari with the power it needs to operate properly. There are a number of batteries that will cause issues including the Trustfire, Ultrafire and other brands. These batteries cannot handle higher current output and the battery will turn off while in use or cause a low battery alert much sooner than it should because the batteries have a high internal resistance. Please make sure you get the proper AW batteries to use in the ProVari Mini to avoid problems.

ProVari Mini Variable Voltage Ecig: Best Variable Voltage E Cig Available!

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
Thanks everyone, I just emailed Provape to make sure... I'd like to get my batteries and hardware from the same vendor but if it voids my warranty I will just buy the AW's from another vendor and eat the extra battery/shipping charges.

Merry Xmas to me!:toast:

4 AW IMR's will get me through a year anyway, then the warranty is over and I can put whatever I want in it.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
So I bite the bullet and ordered a Provari after much thought, and then a quick impulsive decision when the Black Friday sale was offered at Provape.

I am debating whether to purchase the Efest IMR 18650 2000mah batteries for it... I have seen reviews saying the tests show that the Efests are practically the same as AW output, but are they just as safe? I don't know much about them and have searched and found a few posts about safety... some say they are practically identical to the AW IMR's, both are chemically safe and may vent but won't explode. The AW's have a reputation for no problems, or very little at all... do the Efest's have a low incidence of venting as well?

My issue is that other posts said that Provape won't honour the warranty unless you use the AW IMR batteries... they are slightly more expensive and I am leaning toward buying them anyway but if the Efest have the same chance of problems I am tempted to go with the Efests since I can buy other items from the same vendor and save on shipping.

Edit... Is the Trustfire T001 charger good enough for either AW / Efest IMR's? Do I need to buy a more expensive charger or should I instead just buy a Multimeter and check the batteries after charging?

I use the Panasonic and AWs and charge both in a tr001 charger for years on my batts and have never had an issue once with that charger. Both batts are very good and I would recommend either of them in a heartbeat.

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
I heard back from Provape and they said "as long as they are the red AW high drain batteries with a button top, it will not void the warranty".

I had asked whether the Efest IMR high drains would void the warranty, so I assume they would.... answer was a bit vague but I am not chancing it, going to go with the AW's and a Trustfire T001 charger from a Canadian vendor. (those chargers are out of stock at many vendors sites, but found one with both the charger and the AW's, gotta love the hardware list!):)

Should I bother with a multimeter, or should I "trust" the trustfire to not overcharge? And do I need a battery safety bag for charging IMR batteries?

bk78

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
I heard back from Provape and they said "as long as they are the red AW high drain batteries with a button top, it will not void the warranty".

I had asked whether the Efest IMR high drains would void the warranty, so I assume they would.... answer was a bit vague but I am not chancing it, going to go with the AW's and a Trustfire T001 charger from a Canadian vendor. (those chargers are out of stock at many vendors sites, but found one with both the charger and the AW's, gotta love the hardware list!):)

Should I bother with a multimeter, or should I "trust" the trustfire to not overcharge? And do I need a battery safety bag for charging IMR batteries?

Switcher is having a good sale on chargers and he's located where you live. That's where I get my batteries and chargers from. jrcustomturnings. Maybe you can do a pick up?

Last edited:

struckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Ontario, Canada

the first tool you NEED to buy when dealing with li-ions or IMR's is a multimeter..best way to check the current charge..you don't need anything extravagant either to just check voltage..

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
Switcher is having a good sale on chargers and he's located where you live. That's where I get my batteries and chargers from. jrcustomturnings. Maybe you can do a pick up?

Thanks, I took a look at the JR Custom Tunings selection and he does have a good sale on Xtar chargers but doesn't have any AW IMR 18650's... and a local pickup would require me to drive 2 hours, take an 8 hour ferry, and then drive another 4 hours to get to Dathmouth, NS (I'm on the west coast of NL).... we are a little further apart than you thought. :laugh:

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
My question is how would they be able to tell if they were the AW's or other IMR battery's?

the first tool you NEED to buy when dealing with li-ions or IMR's is a multimeter..best way to check the current charge..you don't need anything extravagant either to just check voltage..

I guess you are right Zer0ith, they wouldn't and as long as the panasonics or efests have as good a safety record (i.e. few explosions or venting incidents), I could go with them I guess. I have found little info on the safety records of the different IMR brands.

Thanks Struckus, I will buy a multimeter...I guess it is good to check the charge from time to time and make sure the charger isn't over charging the batteries. Better safe than sorry.

Should I get a battery charging bag as well? I have read somewhere that people use metal cookie tins with holes punched through the lid as well. I already ordered a few battery boxes for safety.

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
I use the Panasonic and AWs and charge both in a tr001 charger for years on my batts and have never had an issue once with that charger. Both batts are very good and I would recommend either of them in a heartbeat.

The panasonics are available from my vendor of choice as well, I will search for info on their safety record. If they have a good record and I don't have a venting or explosion incident, I guess there won't be any warranty problems... still leaning towards the AW's just for warranty purposes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread