Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
As always, a thoroughly enjoyable review, Nick!

I think the $60 Ego Booster makes a lot of sense for someone who already has eGo batteries. It is the least expensive way to get tubular VV. [There are cheap plastic VV boxes for less.] I was fortunate to be one of the beta testers, so I got mine for free ... and then decided to review it because I was so impressed.

A very minor correction: the low end of the Booster's range is 3.3V (not 3.5V).

Atari

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Charleston, WV
As always, a thoroughly enjoyable review, Nick!

I think the $60 Ego Booster makes a lot of sense for someone who already has eGo batteries. It is the least expensive way to get tubular VV. [There are cheap plastic VV boxes for less.] I was fortunate to be one of the beta testers, so I got mine for free ... and then decided to review it because I was so impressed.

A very minor correction: the low end of the Booster's range is 3.3V (not 3.5V).

Lmao Ill jump in the line of reviewers reviewing reviewers reviews and adding related reviews

This answered a lot of questions I had about the eGo booster, but I didnt see it before ordering the eGo VV battery 28.95$ from gotvapes.com, heres my review

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Don't know why you are laughing your toochis off, Atari. I hope my comments and review link were value added to this thread. I believe that they were on-topic.

Your linked review certainly was. Thank you! I was vaguely aware of this device, but had heard of it in the context of a put-down and didn't pursue it. Although 4.2V is a fairly low max for VV, it is a wonderful level for dual coils, at least for me and apparently GrimmGreen and you.

In the interest of linguistic precision, a choice of 3.2V, 3.7V, and 4.2V is not really "variable voltage." It reminds me of the Nuck FistPack, which I have always called selectable voltage. That observation doesn't mean that the "eGo Variable" is not worthy ... by any means. You've got me seriously considering ordering one.* [And I don't throw $29 around willy nilly.]

* EDIT: Dang it! They're sold out!

Last edited:

Atari

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Charleston, WV
Don't know why you are laughing your toochis off, Atari. I hope my comments and review link were value added to this thread. I believe that they were on-topic.

Your linked review certainly was. Thank you! I was vaguely aware of this device, but had heard of it in the context of a put-down and didn't pursue it. Although 4.2V is a fairly low max for VV, it is a wonderful level for dual coils, at least for me and apparently GrimmGreen and you.

In the interest of linguistic precision, a choice of 3.2V, 3.7V, and 4.2V is not really "variable voltage." It reminds me of the Nuck FistPack, which I have always called selectable voltage. That observation doesn't mean that the "eGo Variable" is not worthy ... by any means. You've got me seriously considering ordering one.* [And I don't throw $29 around willy nilly.]

NO NO NO. No flattery intended (ok maybe a little) but Don and Grimm are two of if not the two biggest reviewers out there. And seeing one comment on anothers review was awesome. So far in my reviewing experience not all reviewers seem to welcome other reviewers. No one has ever been rude to me personally, but people dont always have pleasant things to say about others.

Don, You were actually the first person to point me in the right direction on doing reviews, also I went and read yours too, as I said it was related directly to this thread. Ive seen enough of Grimms videos that I could almost quote them from memory. I was lmao that both of you had a review up in the same thread and there was that perceived camaraderie. Its a great thing when reviewers care more about the community than their own agenda.

Enough of that, I loved both reviews and found the results to be very similar to the eGo VV. Don if you would like to send me an address Ill send you mine to toy with for a while. Either way thank you both, hope this clears up and misunderstanding of my laughter

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky

Of course, from buyers view point $29 beats $60 usually every time. For the 31 dollar difference (107% more compared to lower priced), what does eGo booster give in excess of the "eGo Variable"?

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Both the Booster and the eGo Variable seem to be out of stock. I did note that the Booster provides voltages in 3.3 to 4.7 range whereas the Variable advertises as 3.2, 3.7 and 4.2 volts. I'm guessing that the voltages mentioned are without load. My experience is that a Riva, eGo style, provides an unloaded voltage of 4.2 just off charger. At a 2.5 ohm load, that drops to 3.8. And, for most of the charge life of the Riva, voltage (unloaded) at 3.7 volts or above. I have not run across anything that gives loaded voltages of the Booster or the Variable eGo. Does anyone have information on how either device performs (voltage wise) under some specified load?

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Boot circuits like these, sometimes called "buck" circuits depending on how they are designed, use excess current to convert to a higher voltage. They will lower battery life as far as length of use and battery life regarding recharge cycles (in some cases).

However, 4.2 volts is a fairly modest voltage boost. So the eGo battery types should be able to handle it fine.

Haven't gotten my hands on one yet. But assuming the boost circuit has quality components it's not a bad buy.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
The original post is about the eGo Booster so maybe comments about the Variable are a bit out of place. But comparison of the Booster to alternatives seems relevant. One alternative seems to be the eGo Variable. However, as noted above the Variable seems only to provide a "regulation" of the native cell voltage. I say this because an ordinary Joye eGo bat provides PWM voltage whereas the Riva, eGo style, is non-PWM but provides, it seems, the same voltages as the eGo variable. That is, it would appear that the eGo Variable is varying the pulse width to produce its variable voltages whereas the eGo Booster is "boosting" voltages of the ordinary PWM eGo bat. A Riva, eGo style bat is not recommended with the eGo Booster. Wondering if the non-recommendation has anything to do with the non-PWM voltage of the Riva.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
No guys,, the mAh of a Batery is the mAh od a Battery, it cant extend the mAh SORRY, if anything it does the complete opposite, if your using a Booster on a Batt and you turn up the voltage it drains the Batt Faster !

I'm not real certain about that. Since an eGo Booster can order juice, don't know why it couldn't give us little more mAh to boot.

PS - Kind of "double juice".

Last edited:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
From what I read on the original thread the manufacturer said about this. It increases the voltage up to 25% more. Therefore, you can expect your battery to run out 25% faster. I find that to be too much with almost everything I've tried, and only end up turning it about halfway, so I'm guessing my battery only dies 12.5% faster. No biggie to me as my 900 mah has lasted me 1 1/2 - 2 days in the past (if I forget to charge it). I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and I love it.

On a side note, love your reviews GG. Sometimes I'll get tired of slaying stick figures and blowing up bridges in flash games here at work and I'll browse youtube and end up checking out your page there.

JW50,

One thing: the eGo Variable does not boost anything. It mearely reduces the voltage of the battery. The eGo Booster does what its name implies. Also, the voltages listed for the eGo Booster are UNDER LOAD, although you may measure something different with a multimeter because of the PWM. Take a look at the tech video on the Happy Vaper forum, it shows the voltage of the device under load on an oscilloscope, proving that the voltages listed stay the same under load.

The main reason the eGo Booster doesn't work with a Riva is because the Riva battery can't handle the load. Actually, the fact that the eGo Battery is reduced to 3.2 V using pulsing is the main reason it works with the eGO Booster. I can provide a detailed explaination of what's going on if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread