eGo-c Twist + Halo menthol ICE @ higher voltages (4.2-4.8) = burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

highc1157

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Arizona

screenshot windows 7

Had my new halo juice for about a day and bleeping LOVE THIS STUFF. SO addicted to its delicious goodness and superb analog like taste, gets me by without the stinkies so well!

Problem is this:

above ~4.2 volts my Halo gets a horrible burnt taste, keeping in mind my voltage range is from 3.2-4.8 volts. so not even at the highest voltage im getting a burnt taste, like cant even smoke it above or at 4.2 volts its so bad to taste.

what could be causing this? How do I fix this? modding? help :D, I want more vapor production, no burnt taste, and to be able to crank my bad boy up all the way.

I don't have tons of money , let alone much at all to fix this. is there any DIY way I can fix? if so please help !

many thanks

Last edited:

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
I think it is just the nature of menthol. I also have Ego-C Twists using EVOD, ProTank and iClear 16's and anything with menthol in it will scorch if I turn it up more than 3.6 volts using a 1.8 ohm coil. I can go a little higher with a 2.4 ohm coil but I prefer the 1.8 for all my other liquids.

highc1157

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Arizona
What resistance are your atties? Voltage alone is just a number...

I know the physics of the circuitry is governed by a simple electrostatics equation:

Power = (V^2)/R , where V is voltage and R is resistance.

problem is I don't know the resistance of my coil. Its a stock ego-c twist battery, and I think I got the 1000 milliampere-hour battery (longest one in store I could buy), so if anyone knows the resistance i'd love to know.

If I can change out my coil with a lower resistance coil (which I don't know how to do myself but if its possible I would love to learn how to) I can hold the voltage constant at some arbitrary value and increase my power output; moreover, increasing vapor production, which I would like to know how to do :D.

is this just the nature of a top coil system like mine? where if you up the voltage you get the burnt taste?

I'd love to increase vapor production consistently while fixing the burnt taste , any ideas?

Last edited:

highc1157

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Arizona
I think it is just the nature of menthol. I also have Ego-C Twists using EVOD, ProTank and iClear 16's and anything with menthol in it will scorch if I turn it up more than 3.6 volts using a 1.8 ohm coil. I can go a little higher with a 2.4 ohm coil but I prefer the 1.8 for all my other liquids.

I see! thanks a lot for the reply

with mine I'm not sure if I can change out the coils?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
What you have looks like a CE4 or one of its many variants. They come in several resistances--the website should have provided the ohm rating of the atties. Do you have a link?

Anyway, there's more than wattage alone to vapor production. The design of the atty is critical. The CE4s are old technology, frankly, and they were never very good to begin with. The top coil design really messes up the wicking process as it works against gravity. You get dry hits (what you experience as burnt taste) when the tank can't deliver enough juice to the heating coil fast enough to cool it off. So you're vaping either just dry hot air or the smoke from the gunk that's burning off your coil. Not a good thing.

I suggest you try one of the several bottom coil atties--I like the Kanger BCC line; T3, eVod or ProTank2 mini are all nice. If you prefer the top coil, try Kanger T2.

highc1157

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Arizona
What you have looks like a CE4 or one of its many variants. They come in several resistances--the website should have provided the ohm rating of the atties. Do you have a link?

Anyway, there's more than wattage alone to vapor production. The design of the atty is critical. The CE4s are old technology, frankly, and they were never very good to begin with. The top coil design really messes up the wicking process as it works against gravity. You get dry hits (what you experience as burnt taste) when the tank can't deliver enough juice to the heating coil fast enough to cool it off. So you're vaping either just dry hot air or the smoke from the gunk that's burning off your coil. Not a good thing.

I suggest you try one of the several bottom coil atties--I like the Kanger BCC line; T3, eVod or ProTank2 mini are all nice. If you prefer the top coil, try Kanger T2.

its a CE4, what do you suggest I do ? Just toss my crap clearomizers and get a bottom coil design? which one do you think would work best for me out of the names you mentioned?

PS - thanks for clearing things up :D, many thanks for the help

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
its a CE4, what do you suggest I do ? Just toss my crap clearomizers and get a bottom coil design? which one do you think would work best for me?

Any eGo threaded Kanger BCC will work fine--just look at them and choose what you think will suit your needs. They are very similar and differ mainly in size and materials (plastic, glass, metal with window).

Or try the Aspire, but get the glass tank.

http://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/part...aspire-et-s-bottom-dual-coil-bdc-glassomizer/

I don't like to throw away anything, so try to keep the wicks wet at all times; take longer and slower draws, don't chain vape or power vape or over vape in any way, and tilt them often to saturate the wicks and the coil that sits on the very top, right next to your mouth. Those CE4s are disposable, so sooner or later you'll have to throw them away anyway.

I like my Halo menthols at 5.5-6 watts. FYI, all Halo juices have a high PG ratio (they won't disclose the actual numbers, I asked) but that is my strong suspicion. They don't produce a lot of vapor. If you like clouds of vapor, seek eliquids with high VG content, 40% or more.

Good luck.

Last edited:

highc1157

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Arizona

seems like ProTank mini is great. Whats the diff between ProTank mini and ProTank 2 mini?

highc1157

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Arizona
ProTank 2 comes with all parts replaceable--the base, coil, glass tube, drip tip etc. It can be taken apart for cleaning and parts can be bought separately if one gets damaged.

I really like them all. Evod and T3S are much cheaper.

Got myself a Kanger Protank 2 mini for my ego-c twist vaping with halo menthol ice.

MORE VAPOR :D, and I got a 2.2 and 2.5 ohm resistor. pretty sweet, vape is amazing ;)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Got myself a Kanger Protank 2 mini for my ego-c twist vaping with halo menthol ice.

MORE VAPOR :D, and I got a 2.2 and 2.5 ohm resistor. pretty sweet, vape is amazing ;)

I'm so thrilled for you! Enjoy!

It takes a while to figure things out, Vaping is not like smoking--it's so much more work--and math, and physics... :)

But think of the benefits!

Yeah, Halo Menthol Ice has always been on my must have list. I can't stand their tobaccos, but I do like the menthols--so clean and clear and subtle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread