eGo Charger (wall wart), USB charger, IPad Wall Wart question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
I'll start with my questions then give you the background.
1. Spinners: do they need a slow charge? Or is a 2 hour charge ok?
2. Am I using the correct charger?
3. Is the iPad wall wart ok to use with these? Is it *better* because it takes longer? The other device charges in approx 1/2 the time.
Background:
I got my Vision Spinners (1300mAh) at a local B&M approx 6 months ago. I asked for 2 chargers "to plug into the wall" since my computer is not on all the time --mostly it is "sleeping".

The chargers they sold me consisted of a USB portion that plugs into a wall wart portion. A few months later one of the wall warts failed but in doing a lot of reading here at ECF I saw that some people use their iPad wall warts and so I plugged one USB cable into the iPad wall wart to charge.

I have noticed that the iPad takes 3-4 hours to charge a Vision Spinner, while the EVOD setup charges one in about 2 hours max. I have always heard that for many items a "slower charge" is a better charge. I am about to place an order for something else and thought I'd get another wall wart for eGo devices (I assume the Spinners are eGo not 510, I am not real sure what the difference is). But if you guys say the "slow charge" (iPad wall wart) is better, I won't order this item.

If it helps, here is all the writing on each of the 3 items:

wording on the USB Charger:
MODEL: EVOD USB charger
Input: DC 5v
Output: DC 4.2V --- 500 mA

Wall Wart that came with above charger:
Switching Power Adapter
Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.2A max
Output: 5V --- O.5A

Wall Wart that came with my iPad:
10W USB Power Adaptor
Input: 100-240V ~ 0.45A (0.45A) 50-60Hz
Output: 5.1V --- 2.1A

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
Any generic wall wart delivering 5V and 0.5A or more should be fine but to keep things simple and be sure it's going to work, do like Baditude says and get the one from joyetech.
The part you're talking about is not the charger, just the power supply. The "intelligent" part is what you plug into it and which you connect the battery to. I find it very strange that it takes longer using your iPad charger. iPad chargers do have some resistors connected to the data pins to let the connected iPad/iPhone know how much current it can use for charging though so perhaps this is causing it. I wouldn't use this combination anymore because if the charger is charging this slow when connected to the iPad charger, something isn't right. The slower charge is not any better than the 2 hour charge.

goblindojo

Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Sweden
I would use an authentic Apple wall wart over a generic Chinese one any day. In fact, I would generally recommend you avoid plugging any generic/clone electronics into AC mains at all. Cheap USB adapters not only supplies very noisy power - sometimes they don't meet safety regulations with regards to separation between hot mains leads and such.

Here's a good comparison between various USB chargers by someone who seems knowledgeable: Ken Shirriff's blog: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
I would use an authentic Apple wall wart over a generic Chinese one any day. In fact, I would generally recommend you avoid plugging any generic/clone electronics into AC mains at all. Cheap USB adapters not only supplies very noisy power - sometimes they don't meet safety regulations with regards to separation between hot mains leads and such.

Here's a good comparison between various USB chargers by someone who seems knowledgeable: Ken Shirriff's blog: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best

WOW! thanks so much for replying! I am about to go read the blog you link! My dad was an electrical engineer so though I'm rather ignorant as far as most things, I do know to be careful and get well-manufactured parts. Again, thanks for you opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread