Ego mega carts and attys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an eGo mega atty/cart combo, the straight one, not the cone type. I like the duck bill tip alot, also the quantity of juice it holds.

As others have said, if I lay it down it drips out the button. Also, the gurgling sound NEVER goes away. I haven't tried removing some of the filler or changing to a different material, but those 2 issues cause me to prefer the 510 mega atty/cart. Especially the gurgling.

On style & capacity I rate the eGo mega atty/cart combo an A+.
On function it's a C-.
It's a shame, I thought I'd found a new favorite.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Just got an eGo mega atty/cart combo, the straight one, not the cone type. I like the duck bill tip alot, also the quantity of juice it holds.

As others have said, if I lay it down it drips out the button. Also, the gurgling sound NEVER goes away. I haven't tried removing some of the filler or changing to a different material, but those 2 issues cause me to prefer the 510 mega atty/cart. Especially the gurgling.

On style & capacity I rate the eGo mega atty/cart combo an A+.
On function it's a C-.
It's a shame, I thought I'd found a new favorite.

The gurgling(and poping) is actually a good sign that it is wicking well. And no, once filled they don't like to be put down. I find VG works better in them for the most part than PG, which runs more.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I'm using the mega cartos right now and working as expected. Might be the 100% VG that I'm filled with being thick enough to hang in there and not leak. I've been traveling this week and used my first one for almost two days. After one day I put the cap on the batt end and gave it a spin to bring more juice down. I could probably do that again and get another few hours out of it. I do use the caps to store them and have had some very minor leakage, barely leaving a little mess in the ziplock bag. I've been carrying the PV I'm using in a shirt pocket tip up with no leaks. When I fill new with a syringe they take almost 2ml. After spinning it down and getting them emptied out real good, they'll take around 1.7 - 1.8ml to refill.

Haven't tried the mega or cone cart/atty combo and probably won't based on the leaking and wicking issues I'm reading about. The cartos are a pita to fill. On the other hand, I sat down and filled 4 for a three day business trip and will have barely used two of them. I also packed along a regular cart, atty, and some juice and haven't even bothered with it.

The gurgling(and poping) is actually a good sign that it is wicking well...

None of my other PV's gurgle except when overfilled, and then just for a minute or so. It almost sounds like a baby sucking on a bottle. Even when I'm alone it's irritating.

I really love everything else about these, but something is clearly wrong about the continual gurgling. My guess is the 'whistletip' air hole is larger than the inlet air holes which creates turbulance at the mouthpiece end of the wick. Blowing on soup or hot coffee produces the same effect. JOYETECH: TAKE NOTE - a minor design change could remedy this.

I may attempt to modify the whistletip & report back, or at least try a blue foam filler mod to see if it helps.

Last edited:

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
None of my other PV's gurgle except when overfilled, and then just for a minute or so. It almost sounds like a baby sucking on a bottle. Even when I'm alone it's irritating. I really love everything else about these, but something is clearly wrong about the continual gurgling.

Oh well. I'll try the blue foam mod in the cart and see if it helps.

If you read up on the GG w/ AVS it also gurgles when it is feeding properly. There is a thread on that somewhere. Has to do with freely available juice from such a large supply. I got used to it, though it was annoying at first.

alnjessie

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Rock Hill, SC
I mentioned my type A atty/cart was continually gurgling. If I tip the furthest end of the PV up, the gurgling stops. So that leads me to think the coil is continually flooded. I'll have to try a different filler. Other than the annoying sound, these cartomizers are the bomb.

I love my eGo carto's they hold lots of fluid and burn good too....it's great the new things they keep coming out with..hope all this FDA mess doesn't become a problem where all this has to go underground to exist

cptr13

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I don't understand these issues. I bought two Janty XL attys and a pack of cartridges and it is by FAR the most perfect vaping solution yet. I've had zero issues with the liquid capacity, wicking etc. It holds about 60 drops total and lasts me a half a day (I am a HEAVY vapor..um..er).
I LOVE it. No mods...no issues.
Best for me...no more dripping finally!

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I don't understand these issues. I bought two Janty XL attys and a pack of cartridges and it is by FAR the most perfect vaping solution yet. I've had zero issues with the liquid capacity, wicking etc. It holds about 60 drops total and lasts me a half a day (I am a HEAVY vapor..um..er).
I LOVE it. No mods...no issues.
Best for me...no more dripping finally!

Same here. :)

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
I have been trying out the eGo Mega Cylinder Cartomizers (2.5 ohms) and the Cylinder (Type B) Mega Atomizer (2.15 ohms) and Mega Cartridges on standard 650 mAh eGo batteries.

The cartomizer seems fantastic at first. The double mouthpiece plug design is great to keep juice out of one's mouth. After taking out the two plugs with a hooked paperclip, filling with a needle is not very complicated, just don't forget to pull out the needle between rotating into different areas of the filler to distribute the fluid, or you will be tearing/shifting the filler as you turn. I have been getting close to 2 ml in without any dripping out. My first carto was filled with a 48 mg Camel juice from MFS and that was great. But with a milder flavored juice I realized there's a burning something (plastic? paper?) taste that never seems to go away. My second carto gave such a foul burning taste on a pre-fill puff I didn't even fill it. They are shipped wetted but the problem wasn't the wetting fluid, something was burning. My third was filled with 2 ml of Premium Tobacco 24 mg from ecigexpress. That's when I realized the burning taste is there even in the first one, where it was being masked by the strong flavor.

Pulsing the button does prevent the snap-crackle-and-pop of burning filler. It's clear you have to top off occasionally to keep it on that fine line between gurgling and incineration. I've been topping off my first one with say 1 ml of fluid a couple times a day during the two days of heavy use. Considering the huge clouds of vapor, it's not surprising, but it's not what you might call an economy vape. Carto number three, on reflection, tastes like crap. The burning whatever taste does not go well with the mellow Premium Tobacco. And who wants to inhale that anyway, masked or not?

Disappointed in the cartos, I turned my attention to the cylinder atomizer + cart. Wow, there's some artillery! The supplied cart filler is too narrow and pretty loose-celled, so I would expect it to leak. I tried a number of mods, including a Zero Fill silicone top cut from a cap. Cutting it to fit with a razor blade is quite challenging. Hard to avoid cutting some poorly fitting areas that will leak. The material is too thin, so it buckles and cannot contact the bridge, even if you do manage a tight fit (with practice) (you will by then have consumed most of your caps). It's clear that with such a wide mouth, the standard tricks won't work well, because you can't count on the fluid's surface tension and viscosity to hold the holy fluid in, the way it holds in a 510 cart with a minimal cap of filler.

Finally I tried a fine 000 steel wool. Washed it well, press-dried it with a paper towel, and formed a packed plug that was shaped better than the original plastic filler. Dripped some 1.5 ml onto the steel wool and inverted it. No leaks so far, no problems. Pressed the cart in place. Pulling it out, it was clear the bridge was nicely nestling into the steel wool, metal mesh against metal mesh. By the way, it's important to note the orientation of the cart relative to the bridge, maybe mark it on the plastic or just pay attention, as the bridge pushes the steel wool in and creates a perfect little nest of heavenly wicking for itself, so you want to return it to that same orientation when you replace the cart.

I settled down to watch a movie in HUGE blissful clouds of vapor. Incredible! OK, yes, there is a bit of gurgling, but I agree it signals profoundly powerful wicking, and while waiting for Joye to design a better air inlet, I'm OK with a bit of sound. Raising the end of the battery does make it subside, that and drawing a little less gargantuan puffs. You really don't need them, this thing is a bazOOka. After the movie, I added another milliliter, that was many hours ago, and have been happily vaping ever since. It seems you can get a full 2.5 ml in there, if not 3. When the gurgling fades, you know it's time to top off, about 30 drops brings the wool to a slushy look. Bam. Back to HUGE & THICK clouds of contentment.

The steel wool could rust after a while, and is known to shed, so it will be replaced at the earliest convenience with its 000 Brass Wool cousin, a material that is widely used for scrubbing boats. Brass wool is more malleable and doesn't shed sharp fragments like steel wool. There is also a Stainless Steel Wool, in rolls. I'm not sure which metal is best, there are many considerations, and plain steel is probably the worst. But Steel Wool is likely safe enough to try for a bit if you have some on hand, since after packing, shaping and trimming, the steel wool filler shows no sign of shedding, especially wet, it won't rust immediately in a propylene glycol solution, and the design of the mouthpiece makes it very difficult for any particles to reach your mouth anyway. Poly filler sheds worse, but you can take off the mouthpiece cap and put a tiny piece of loose cloth or cotton in there to act as a particle filter, if you're the nervous type.

I'm very happy with the Mega Cylinder Atomizer, and quite pleased with this Cartridge "mod". I'm afraid this might become my preferred vape-tool, "afraid" as it does vaporize juice faster than a 510 rig. But then, after all, isn't it what we do this for?

As to the "mod", one can pack the metal wool just right so the liquid wicks freely yet is held in place by surface tension, like in the smaller carts. One cannot even shake any fluid out, short of a centrifugal spin. Seems like a great cart filler material. Unlike pipe screens, it tightly conforms to the shape of the bridge, it wicks like gangbusters, and completely frees us from the fumes of melting filler. Clearly it ain't gonna burn, no matter what, and that means a lot to me.

So, in the end, the Mega Cartomizers don't impress me, but I'm sure going to pick up a spare Mega Cylinder Atomizer or two, more empty carts, and some 000 Brass Wool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread