cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
smok900_dcm_full_500.jpg

More of the same... Lots more

I've had great success with dual coil cartomizers using eGo and Riva batteries and these new eGo Mega Dual Coil cartomizers deliver everything that's good about the regular dual coils, only more. A lot more. These are a relatively new item from Madvapes and if the first impression is any indication, they should be a winner.

The first thing that that grabs your attention about these is their size. They are the same width as an eGo battery, but its the length that sets them apart from other cartomnizers. At 75mm they are 8mm longer than an eGo tank atomizer, tips included on both. That's 2mm longer than an 801 atomizer with tip. Long indeed. When attached to the battery, however, the length is not awkward and in fact gives the feel of a nice cigar. Each cartomizer includes a nice soft rubber mouthpiece with a flat tip. Unlike some of the plastic mouthpieces, these rubber tips seem to give off absolutely no taste.

dcm_tip_500.jpg

Impressive volume

All those measurements add up to an impressive volume. The stated capacity is 5ml, but I haven't seen anyone confirm that they actually filled it with that much e-juice. I stopped at around 4ml when I noticed a little pooling on top and didn't get any leakage or gurgling with that amount. Regardless, that's an all day supply for most people and it lasted me just about a day. Only time will tell if the flavor stays constant through all that juice. If the regular dual coils are any indication, it should. The larger diameter of these would seem to make it possible for a lot of that filler to be a fair distance away from the coils, however.

dcm_filler_500.jpg

Easy filling

Filling is easily accomplished by dripping into the mouthpiece end at an angle. The wide diameter makes these even easier to fill than a regular carto in that respect. Of course, the large capacity means that a little patience is required to reach the 120 or so drop mark. And it's probably the easiest method, as no caps are included with these and the nature of the recessed connector would limit options for the cap fill. The only draw back to this capacity is that you had better be sure you like the juice you're filling them with!

dcm_batt_500.jpg

The connection - or lack thereof

The connector may be the only real fault with the Mega Dual Coil as it doesn't make good contact with all eGo style batteries. Out of four, the cartomizer only worked on three without any adjustments. A good connection was made with eGo, Mad Max and Smok Tech batteries, and the latter only the first time. A Riva battery would not fire it up at all and the Smok Tech needed to have the center pin pulled out a little to make the connection the second time it was screwed on. The Smok Tech batteries do have an issue with connectors that are too deep, but I believe these cartomizers are also a Smok Tech product, so having them not match exactly is still puzzling. Adjusting the center post should make these compatible with most eGo style fat batts, but as simple as these connections are, it's inexcusable that this should be an issue with a product that's had any R&D at all.

Conclusion

As with the regular dual coils, vapor, flavor and throat hit are excellent. At 3.7v and even at 3.2v, these deliver a nice warm inhale and clouds of vapor. The dual coils running in parallel are stated as producing 1.6ohms of resistance and that's exactly what these measured at. I've been using them on a Smok Tech 3.7v eGo battery and the vape is very good. A tank full of juice lasted almost as long as a fully charged 900mAh battery, and that's impressive, too. Aside from a few connection issues, these are a great option for all day use.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Great review. That's one of the most thorough I've seen recently.

I went the other way by raising the center pin in the cartos instead of raising it in the batteries. Mine would fire only on my joye ego 1000 mah but not on my 650s or my eGo passthrough or any ego clone I have (and that's a bunch). After raising the center pin in the carto just a little bit, they fired on all of them including both of my smoke tech batts (gold ring and black one that says "smok" on it like the one you have pictured).

If you take a magnifying glass to any carto or atty you have laying around and look at the connector from the side, you'll see that the center is raised above the part with the threads just a little bit. It's harder to see in these ego dual coils because you can't look from the side. But, a magnifying glass will show you that the ones that don't want to fire on some batts have their center depressed at least flush.

I am going to go ahead and order some of these for my eGo-T that I received a couple of weeks ago.

Question: I think this product is considered a throw-a-way cartomizer? How many times may it be used? I know that depends, I suppose, on how heavy one vapes. I vape throughout the day....but I don't think I am a heavy vapor. It's not a pacifier! :blush:

7 days without an analog!!!

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
Great review. That's one of the most thorough I've seen recently.

I went the other way by raising the center pin in the cartos instead of raising it in the batteries.

Thanks. Raising the pin on the carto is probably the better way to go. The center pin on my cartomizer doesn't like to stay in the adjusted position though, but now I've found that the one on the battery doesn't either. Every time I disconnect it, one or the other needs readjusted.

Great review as always, CyberWolf! I continue to especially appreciate your crystal clear photos.

Have you tried this on the Ego Booster yet? I ordered one from MV a couple days ago and am looking forward to trying it on my various batteries, including the Booster.

Thanks and yes, like anything else more voltage is better! A 7" PV gets a little cumbersome, however...

I think this product is considered a throw-a-way cartomizer? How many times may it be used?

7 days without an analog!!!

How long it lasts will definitely vary by how much you use it and how you treat it. Based on other cartos and previous dual coils, I would expect several refills and a week of use with no degradation. I've been using one through several fills and it's still performing well. These should be able to be cleaned like a regular carto, but it will be interesting to see how well they dry out. My favorite method for cleaning cartos is with an oral syringe and I did find that the cone fits inside of these Megas, so it should be useful for them as well.

saxguy9345

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
PA
Man I just got through about half of the dual coil carto review (50 pages was enough to sell me lol) and I saw these at MV when I ordered and thought "oh ill wait for a good review" and here it is. Oh well I have 2 boxes of reg dual coils coming, by then this thread might be 50 pages and ill hafta order some. Excellent review, makes me glad I didnt jump on the ego tank wagon... 4 ml would last me a day and the next morning!

I bought a few of these from MadVapes. I've only put two of them in service so far and for the first two days they were just great! Impressive capacity, good vapor and TH but on about the third day I started getting a really nasty burnt rubber taste.

After a bit of thought on the possible causes (Burnt rubber taste? Rubber tips? Hmmmm...) I popped off the tip and tried a smokestack hit. MUCH better! So digging through my box of assorted miscellany, I discovered that the dummy carts from the eGo Mega attys fit the EMDCC perfectly and when I used them in place of the stock tips, the nasty rubber taste was gone.

I kind of miss the soft tip feel, but these carto's work really well so I suppose the trade-off is worth it.

I don't know what caused the tips to give off that taste and it may be the juices I'm using (all 70/20 pg/vg from JuicyVapors) but it was an easy and cheap fix so I'm happy but I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
...So digging through my box of assorted miscellany, I discovered that the dummy carts from the eGo Mega attys fit the EMDCC perfectly and when I used them in place of the stock tips, the nasty rubber taste was gone...
Thank you, Phantom! I just tried it and, indeed, it does fit perfectly! My carto is only two days old. If and when I get that rubbery taste, I'll plug in that plastic mouthpiece.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
...Oh well I have 2 boxes of reg dual coils coming...

Don't be too upset. The added capacity and the sleek look with the eGo are nice, but the regular dual coils are as good if not a little better in terms of vaping satisfaction.

I'm a little confused, will these work with the ego-t? I have an ego-to type A tank.
I'd like to try if they will.

Like six says, these will work with your eGo battery. You'll use them in place of your type A atomizer and tank.

Last edited:
Hey - Received my order of 3 of these from MapVapes. Filled 2 up yesterday and they work great. I am "liking" a lot.

Question though: How often are y'all adding juice to the carto? I know that depends on how much a person is vaping - but general question. Should I add a few drops daily? Every couple of days?

12 days without an ANALOG!!

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
So the regular SmokTech dual coils are a little too harsh for me. I think it's because of the tightness of the draw. Are these any better in that regard? I like more of a mellow/smooth flavor and throat hit than the original dual coils provided (I love the Bloog cartos, but they don't hold up very well with refills).

ThreePutt

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2011
DFW Texas
Hey - Received my order of 3 of these from MapVapes. Filled 2 up yesterday and they work great. I am "liking" a lot.

Question though: How often are y'all adding juice to the carto? I know that depends on how much a person is vaping - but general question. Should I add a few drops daily? Every couple of days?

12 days without an ANALOG!!

Good question, since I was wondering how much to initially fill. Iffy states his initial fill is 90 drops. I put in 60 and was worried that was too much. On the refill, it's usually about 20 drops, or when the filler looks like a slushy. I may try putting in more, as the flavor seems to wane, and indicates the carto is going dry. And on more heavy vaping sessions, I seem to be filling these once or twice a day.

Oh, and congrats on your new journey from analogs! Great job!

I just added - maybe - 15 drops and then the juice started to drip out from the battery. I took a Q-tip and drapped it and I'll let it sit for a few minutes.

If the taste is so much better when the carto is "full" do y'all not vape all the juice out of the carto? Seems like there could be some waste then with carto's? If flavor is better then that just may be the cost of doing business with the mega carto?

So much to learn trying to find my sweet spot with vaping! :facepalm:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I just added - maybe - 15 drops and then the juice started to drip out from the battery. I took a Q-tip and drapped it and I'll let it sit for a few minutes.

If the taste is so much better when the carto is "full" do y'all not vape all the juice out of the carto? Seems like there could be some waste then with carto's? If flavor is better then that just may be the cost of doing business with the mega carto?

So much to learn trying to find my sweet spot with vaping! :facepalm:

I'm not completely sure that you ever truly find the perfect sweet spot. Every time I think I've found my perfect vape something newer and better comes along. Right now though, these Mega DCs are my perfect vape by a long shot. I don't vape them perfectly dry, but I only fill once a day. Even then when I refill it starts to leak when I've put a little more than half what I put it on first fill so there's clearly lots of juice left even when the end of the filler looks clean and white. I'm going to try vaping one of these dry and see how long it takes me.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
If the taste is so much better when the carto is "full" do y'all not vape all the juice out of the carto?

Even then when I refill it starts to leak when I've put a little more than half what I put it on first fill so there's clearly lots of juice left even when the end of the filler looks clean and white.

I have had the same experience and I suspect it has to do with the large volume of filler in these. Any cartomizer will not hold as much on the second, third or ninth fill and in my experience they hold less as the number of refills increases. My assumption
is that the filler still has juice absorbed in it, but the juice is not being drawn to the coil as efficiently as more and more juice becomes suspended in the filler. The added volume of filler in these Megas would compound that problem. Cleaning cartos gets them back to new condition, at least through a couple of cleanings, but I have not tried to clean one of these yet.

whats the lifespan on these bad boys ?

Only time will tell. I've had one in rotation for about two weeks and aside from the apparent reduced juice efficiency as described above, it's still going strong. The regular dual coils I've been using last for several weeks with a couple of cleanings and I would expect the same from these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread