Status
Not open for further replies.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
One of my Ego twist batteries singed my hand! (not sure if "burn" is the right word since it wasn't a 911 emergency or anything) Anyone have this happen?
Was it a short circuit? I've only had this Ego-c twist 650 mah battery for a couple months. On Wednesday, while I was vaping, my twist was set at 4.0, using an ego-T std atomizer/cartridge, suddenly it started getting warmer and warmer so I did the "5-click" to turn it off...but it kept getting hotter and hotter! It got so hot I ran outside and set it on a brick...watched it in amazement for a while, LOL, just in case it was going to self combust or something. It stayed too hot to touch for about 2 hours. Later when I checked it, it was cold and dead. It didn't click back on, so of course, it had fried itself and died.
I realize there are no guarantees for how long batteries will last, but I expected that when it's life was over it just would not re-charge, or not turn on, some day. I never thought it would suddenly over heat first, then die!!!!
Is this normal? I've never heard of it before. Anyone have this experience with a battery scorching ya?
I do remember reading somewhere that we should never put the batteries on the charger then go off to bed.
Should I now expect that my other newer ego-c twist 650 mah batts will do this too in a few months? I love these ego twist batteries because each setting on the dial changes the flavor and each flavor has it's own sweet spot. I hope it was just a once-in-a-lifetime thing and never happens again!

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
That is so scary~ and thank you for sharing as I will remember that if my battery seems to be getting too hot I need to get it outside as you did. I don't think this is "normal", but you have to consider that it is a cheap chinese battery holding device that is disposable. This is the reason I decided to get the provari, I just feel safer with the battery being charged and then placed in the unit which is good and sturdy with the vent and spring should the battery fail and need venting. Don't get me wrong, I still use my eGo's and love them and probably will replace them when they fail (not if, when). But I was using mine pretty heavily recharging them throughout the day and needed something that would last longer and makes me feel safer.

As for the other one doing that, I would go with a once-in-a-lifetime thing and really HOPE it never happens again! At least you aren't using a LR on it!

Photon55

Jul 5, 2012
Florida
It's suppose to have short circuit protection, however those wires are tiny and fragile inside. If the short happened "below" the protection circuit this can happen. Congrats for keeping a "cool head" and get that thing to a safe place. Don't know what out gasses from the batt. Did you drop it or anything? Don't worry about this being a typical event. You did good.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Well, not good. Yesterday someone posted an Upgrade doing this also. They're supposed to have the same circuitry. Only thing I can think of is that if it's Too low ohms, And juice soaked to overwhelm the prevention circuits.

With the Twist, occasionally the post may need to be pulled up. If this is done, it may break that seal and allow juice into the circuitry.

edensin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2010
    Colleyville, TX
    I've had similar experiences with genuine Joye egos. I never messed with a post, and only used joye regular resistance tanks/atomizers on the things. I got the feeling juice was somehow getting down inside them.
    I finally got fed up and bought a tube mod. I still have a couple of egos, but I don't consider them reliable or safe anymore.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    ...but it kept getting hotter and hotter! It got so hot I ran outside and set it on a brick...watched it in amazement for a while, LOL, just in case it was going to self combust or something. ...

You did Good by taking Outside and Putting it on something that Couldn't catch on Fire.

What happened to your eGo is Very Rare but it can happen. Most Batteries Die a Quite Death. Usually just a Puff of Smoke and they are Gone to the Great Charger in the Sky.

But Once in a Great While they can Melt Down. That is a Reason I would suggest that you Always Charge your Batteries in a Glass Pan and Never leave them Unattended like when you go Out or when you go to Sleep.

Think what could have happened if you Battery got as Hot as it did while sitting on your Desk on top of a pile of Papers.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    i just had it happen to me :(. i put it on the charger and it started to get hot really quick well i quickly took it off the charger and took it apart and the ground came off the top of the connector and shorted it out. well now i have vv parts for a new mod lol

If this Ever Happens, the Best thing to do is to Unplug the Charger from the Wall First.

There was a thread awhile back about someone who had the same thing as you. When they toched the PV to unscrew it from the Charger, they got a Nasty Shock.

This is Also why I said about Charging in a Glass Pan. Not a Metal One.

dragonrage

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2012
    melrose fl
    well i am taking all the parts from my twist and getting some new imr batteries and building a mod out of it because i have so many high ohm thing just for the high volts. i just wish it would of worked till i got my first vv built but now i am building 2. one from the parts on the twist and now i will not need to use the head to charge my batteries

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    well i am taking all the parts from my twist and getting some new imr batteries and building a mod out of it because i have so many high ohm thing just for the high volts. i just wish it would of worked till i got my first vv built but now i am building 2. one from the parts on the twist and now i will not need to use the head to charge my batteries

Just my 2c, but wouldn't the Twist circuitry be overwhelmed on a mod that has more capacity then for what it's intended?
    Seems the Mod guys tend to overbuild their circuitry for added safety.

Just my concern for anothers wellbeing.........

artbyshan

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    I had a similar experience w/ a Kgo once. At the time, I was vaping on the regular ego-C, but forgot to charge the second battery. Once it went dead, I wondered if the Ego-C Atty would work on the Kgo. Bad idea. After a few hits, I laid it down and when I came back it was hot as a firecraker. The Kgo was dead. Wonder if that atty you used was somehow a mismatch for the Twist ?

Last edited:

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 10, 2012
    USA
    I had a similar experience w/ a Kgo once. At the time, I was vaping on the regular ego-C, but forgot to charge the second battery. Once it went dead, I wondered if the Ego-C Atty would work on the Kgo. Bad idea. After a few hits, I laid it down and when I came back it was hot as a firecraker. The Kgo was dead. Wonder if that atty you used was somehow a mismatch for the Twist ?

I assumed that the ego-T std atomizer/cartidge system was supposed to work on any ego batteries. I've never heard if the new ego-C twist batts are only supposed to be used with a certain carto/clearo or whatever?

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 10, 2012
    USA
    Well, not good. Yesterday someone posted an Upgrade doing this also. They're supposed to have the same circuitry. Only thing I can think of is that if it's Too low ohms, And juice soaked to overwhelm the prevention circuits.

With the Twist, occasionally the post may need to be pulled up. If this is done, it may break that seal and allow juice into the circuitry.

um, pull the post up? how do I check that? I thought all my ego batts were "sealed" and juice isn't supposed to be able to get down in there? :confused:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    I assumed that the ego-T std atomizer/cartidge system was supposed to work on any ego batteries. I've never heard if the new ego-C twist batts are only supposed to be used with a certain carto/clearo or whatever?

i agree. if somehting worked on the kgo, then it should not have had a problem on the ego.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    um, pull the post up? how do I check that? I thought all my ego batts were "sealed" and juice isn't supposed to be able to get down in there? :confused:

well, if youve never pulled the post up, then you dont have to check anything. the post is the raised circle "thingy" you see when you look at the batt with no atty or whatever attached to it.
    sometimes the post does not make contact with the atty when its screwed on. this can be due to a bad manufacturing job, screwing the atty on too tight (my GF loves to do this, even when i beg her not to), dropping the batt, etc, etc, etc.
    when the post does nto make contact, soem folks pry it up. if you pry it up and something snaps underneath the post, a short can occur, juice can get in, both, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread