Ego Twist / Vivi Nova Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

A week ago I picked up a Redds starter kit after smoking a PAD for over 20 years and not only have not craved an analog, but am repulsed by the idea of having one. Can it really be this easy? I guess time will tell. A big thanks to everyone on this awesome site.

Although I'm very happy with the Redds and plan to continue using them for social/outdoor situations, I'm already getting the urge to upgrade for work and home. (Trading one severe addiction for another? Lol). After a lot of reading I have decided to pick up a couple 1000mah ego twists and vivi novas, but have a few questions.

1. I know it's very subjective, but is there a general consensus on what resistance works best with the twist? 9 watts seems to be the preferred level, so that puts the 2.8 ohm slightly out of spec. Would like to pick up a pack of 1.8 or 2.4 atty's until I can locate some Kanthal wire. I'm using a 70pg/30vg blend at present, but hope to try a 70vg/30pg blend in the future.

2. What is the difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 Vivi Novas?

3. Someone mentioned getting two chargers. Is this really necessary due to poor quality or was the poster just being paranoid?

thanks,

Trevor.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Actually if you have a VV the ohms can be with in a certain range depending on the voltage range. Watts are the real thing to worry about. somewhere between 4-8 watts depending on the atty and the juice.
here is a chart and an XL spread sheet that will do the calc. for you.
P2seQ.jpg View attachment 142136

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Oh the vivi 2.5 is what i have and I love it. I guess it was an earlier version. Some of the originals had some bugs from what I have see.
One warning about low resistance attys it that they will limit you to a VV most times. I put a 1.8 ohm on my passthrough and the watts were to high and i got a burn.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
3. Someone mentioned getting two chargers. Is this really necessary due to poor quality or was the poster just being paranoid?
Can't hurt. What if it quit. like having a spare battery can you wait to get a replacement? Just a matter of how long you can do with out your vapor. Or as the story goes how long can you hold your breath. LOL

Can't hurt. What if it quit. like having a spare battery can you wait to get a replacement? Just a matter of how long you can do with out your vapor. Or as the story goes how long can you hold your breath. LOL

I suppose a person has to keep it in perspective. A charger is only worth the price of 1 pack of smokes up here. Lol.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I suppose a person has to keep it in perspective. A charger is only worth the price of 1 pack of smokes up here. Lol.
It would also depend on how far North you are. I here the further north you got the prices grow exponentially. LOL I watch "Ice Road Trucker" LOL Man can't even imagine those prices. What do a pack of cigs cost there?

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Hi All,

A week ago I picked up a Redds starter kit after smoking a PAD for over 20 years and not only have not craved an analog, but am repulsed by the idea of having one. Can it really be this easy? I guess time will tell. A big thanks to everyone on this awesome site.

Although I'm very happy with the Redds and plan to continue using them for social/outdoor situations, I'm already getting the urge to upgrade for work and home. (Trading one severe addiction for another? Lol). After a lot of reading I have decided to pick up a couple 1000mah ego twists and vivi novas, but have a few questions.

1. I know it's very subjective, but is there a general consensus on what resistance works best with the twist? 9 watts seems to be the preferred level, so that puts the 2.8 ohm slightly out of spec. Would like to pick up a pack of 1.8 or 2.4 atty's until I can locate some Kanthal wire. I'm using a 70pg/30vg blend at present, but hope to try a 70vg/30pg blend in the future.

2. What is the difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 Vivi Novas?

thanks,

Trevor.

A low resistance atty will give a warmer vape and will drain your battery faster. Low res attys generally fail sooner. If you only have a standard battery low res is a must.
The 2.4 ohm atty is considered standard, while 2.8 ohm is in the high res range.

Watts will vary depending on your juice and the device that you are using, but for me the "sweet spot" on a Vivi Nova is between 6 to 8 watts. Seven is a good average, so a 2.4 ohm res @ 4 volts.

The major change happened to the VN from v1 to v2. The tank was changed from polycarbonate to polypropylene, and the vent hole was moved to the 510 connection. The major change in v2.5 was they improved the atty heads and added long wicks.

I've had two chargers for months without problems, but it's smart to have a backup. Just consider it insurance. I have one at home and one at work.

It would also depend on how far North you are. I here the further north you got the prices grow exponentially. LOL I watch "Ice Road Trucker" LOL Man can't even imagine those prices. What do a pack of cigs cost there?

The prices range from $9-$11 depending on the brand. I run a remote (helicopter access only) gas plant, so guys have given me 20's for a pack even though I've offered them for free. Lol. At $800/hr for the chopper, the man with a spare carton at the end of a two week shift is king.

A low resistance atty will give a warmer vape and will drain your battery faster. Low res attys generally fail sooner. If you only have a standard battery low res is a must.
The 2.4 ohm atty is considered standard, while 2.8 ohm is in the high res range.

Watts will vary depending on your juice and the device that you are using, but for me the "sweet spot" on a Vivi Nova is between 6 to 8 watts. Seven is a good average, so a 2.4 ohm res @ 4 volts.

The major change happened to the VN from v1 to v2. The tank was changed from polycarbonate to polypropylene, and the vent hole was moved to the 510 connection. The major change in v2.5 was they improved the atty heads and added long wicks.

I've had two chargers for months without problems, but it's smart to have a backup. Just consider it insurance. I have one at home and one at work.

Thanks Boxster,

Not only is this exactly the type of info I was looking for, it gave me my 5th post.:D

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I use 2.4 ohms on my Twist as it offers the widest range of voltage. 4-4.5 volts on a 2.4 ohms. 3.3-4.0 volts on a 1.8 ohms. Make sure when you buy the Vivi to get the long wick- less wicking issues. Also in regards to the Twist, which was a great mini VV when it was first released, I find the voltage dial smooth and narrow= hard to turn. Also the voltage numbers are almost invisible. The Spinner has a wide knurled dial, easy to read voltage markings and packs more mah in the same size- 1000 Twist and 1300 Spinner are the same size. Normally 100 mah= 1 hr normal vaping BUT if vaping at a higher voltage the batt will drain quicker.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
the nova has a warmer vape, i personally love 9.5-10 watts of nice, warm vapor, but tune it back a bit for a nova since the coil is right below the drip tip....as for the twist and ohms and whatnot, there is no way to truly tell what type of resistance the delivery system has, especially with a rebuilt nova, unless you meter it, if you have a multimeter you can check by putting one pin to the center post and the other to the threads...i'm not trying to sway you however, as the twist+nova is an excellent combination, however i'd also recommend you grab a few 1.5-2.0 ohm cartomizers as well, check vaping zone as well, they have some MEGA 4ml sized dual coil cartomizers threaded for the eGo that vape like a freight train with the twist.

also with the nova, check the version, get either the version 2.5 or version 3, as those are the improved ones.....and on the spinner: i would advise against this device: i've heard a few friends of mine say that they are not true variable volt, but more multiple voltage, as the dials only give you three settings but not the in-between...they are cheaply made knockoffs of the twist to the best of my knowledge, however, as i've been advised, i've kept away from them so i cannot tell you for sure how well they perform, but, i can attest that the twist is a great device.

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
i've heard a few friends of mine say that they are not true variable volt, but more multiple voltage, as the dials only give you three settings but not the in-between
Maybe your friends should buy a Spinner before passing judgement :D
Question:
"I'm thinking about getting one of these. However, checking its description from numerous places on the net, I can't determine whether this device is continuously variable, or has 4 distinct voltage settings. The description at MV (and some other places) says "The Spinner has four settings including 3.3, 3.8, 4.3, and 4.8 volts...". I haven't seen the words "Continuously variable" anywhere, though I suspect that it is."
Answer from ECF Forum Supplier Rep:
"The Spinner is continuously variable and not set at those voltages but there are lines at those voltages to give you a feel for where you're at."

the nova has a warmer vape, i personally love 9.5-10 watts of nice, warm vapor, but tune it back a bit for a nova since the coil is right below the drip tip....as for the twist and ohms and whatnot, there is no way to truly tell what type of resistance the delivery system has, especially with a rebuilt nova, unless you meter it, if you have a multimeter you can check by putting one pin to the center post and the other to the threads...i'm not trying to sway you however, as the twist+nova is an excellent combination, however i'd also recommend you grab a few 1.5-2.0 ohm cartomizers as well, check vaping zone as well, they have some MEGA 4ml sized dual coil cartomizers threaded for the eGo that vape like a freight train with the twist.

also with the nova, check the version, get either the version 2.5 or version 3, as those are the improved ones.....and on the spinner: i would advise against this device: i've heard a few friends of mine say that they are not true variable volt, but more multiple voltage, as the dials only give you three settings but not the in-between...they are cheaply made knockoffs of the twist to the best of my knowledge, however, as i've been advised, i've kept away from them so i cannot tell you for sure how well they perform, but, i can attest that the twist is a great device.

Last edited:

What resistance dual coil are you using? Never would have considered trying one, since even a 2.0 ohm dual is going to limit you to 5.76 watts max output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread