The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

eLeaf iStick 20w not holding charge when off?

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by at1rest, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Hi there,
    My new eleaf istick 20w is loosing it's charge when it's turned off and sitting for a day or 2.

It vapes fine and the battery stays up for a long time when I'm using it, but it's one of my mobile units and I don't get out much so I've been turning it off when I get home.

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

Maybe I should leave it turned on?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    It's draining the battery when you use the 5 click turn off/on? If it's new I'd go back to the vendor and ask for a replacement. Any mod that uses a click on and off feature is using some power to be able to sense the clicks, but that shouldn't affect battery power enough to notice.

I just received a new iStick 30W and the first thing I noticed was that it felt like there was no battery in it compared to my old iStick TC 40W. It works fine, but it probably has a LiPo battery for less weight.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    I'm going to try leaving it on and check it every 4 to 8 hours and make notes with a time stamp.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I agree with this. You're essentially putting the mod into "sleep" or "stand by" mode with the 5 click off. It's still consuming some battery power, but not that much. The loss of charge should be negligible.

If the mod had a removeable battery, you could remove the battery to prevent further draining. But if it uses an internal battery, you can't do that.

Batteries will lose some charge while sitting idle, but it sounds like in this case the battery is losing it charge faster than normal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Thanks Baditude

My Vision Spinner 2(s) 4 or them, can sit for weeks and never loose noticeable charge unless I'm vaping on them.
    On or off ... doesn't matter for the Spinners.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Vchick

Vchick Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I agree with going back to the vendor. All I've used the past few years is the Istick 20w, some of which have not even been used yet. I've never had any issue with them doing this.

• Like Like x 2
  7. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I would say try your experiments for example if on and off are similar, it just may not be turning off correctly. IDK how long you've had it but I would also consider maybe emailing the vendor or manufacturer to see if this is at all a common problem, etc.

Good luck,

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  8. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Thanks Anna,

Yes. I did email the company that sold it to me.
    I've had it since late June but it's had probably only 6 full re change.
    I haven't used it much at all.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Thanks Vchick!

• Like Like x 2
  10. My Batt Hurts

My Batt Hurts Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    Any difference if you remove the tank when it's not in use?

I don't know if this applies to the iStick 20W, but I think it might check the atty resistance even when you're not using it - but only for a little while. It should stop most background stuff and drop into standby.

• Like Like x 2
  11. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    So far, I've always had the tank off when it's turned off for a long time, but I'm now doing a test with it sitting and turned on with no tank on it.

Checking it now, when leaving it turned on with no tank, I completed a 100% charge this morning at 11:35 AM and it still looks like it's at 100% at 21:13 PM.

• Like Like x 1
  12. My Batt Hurts

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    Apologies - you probably know this already - but on my istick 40s, if I turn them 'off', I can hold the fire and down buttons for a few seconds and the battery voltage is shown.

(Just in case you were keen to measure but using the graphical gauge as a reference).

• Like Like x 2
  13. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Thanks! I didn't know that. I'll try it on my 20w.

Oh ... by the way just checked it and it's down to about 90% 14 hrs. after a full charge
    and it's just been sitting while turned on.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Update: @My Batt Hurts - no luck on seeing the meter when it's truned off.

Here's the tally so far:

11:35 10.11.18 - chared to full - leaving it turned on with no tank and no usage other than checking the battery

13:36 10.11.18 - looks to be 100%
    17:07 10.11.18 - looks to be 100%
    21:13 10.11.18 - looks to be 100%

00:51 10.12.18 - 90% (still no usage - just sitting, no tank and turned on)
    13:13 10.12.18 - 90% (still no usage - just sitting, no tank and turned on)
    18:02 10.12.18 - 90% (still no usage - just sitting, no tank and turned on)

11:16 10.13.18 - 90% (still no usage - just sitting, no tank and turned on)

21:37 10.13.18 - 80% - some usage*** on the road - then after returning home, now sitting, OFF with no tank.
    *** Maybe vaped 1/6th or less of a Kanger Protank 2 (not mini)

01:40 10.14.18 - 67% - no usage, OFF with no tank
    08:15 10.14.18 - 67% - no usage, OFF with no tank

06:46 10.15.18 - 60% - no usage, OFF with no tank
    22:47 10.15.18 - 40% - no usage, OFF with no tank

18:21 10.16.18 - Nearly Zero % ! - Left it on since last check!
    -------------------------------------

15. My Batt Hurts

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    Ah, sorry about that - maybe it was a thing on later mods?

Next test! With my TC40W, if I hold it to my ear - when it's on, and usually just after use, I can hear a faint tick. It's pretty subtle, maybe a few seconds apart, and stops after about a minute (max). I think that it may be polling the coil's resistance (not sure though). When I switch the mod off, there's no tick. Worth checking? I know things changed between the 20W and 40W isticks, so that may not even be relevant.

Oh - one thing - if you only have the battery gauge to go by, it may not be very accurate. When it looks low, how much more use do you get from it?

Best I can do is experiment - I'll write down the voltage on one of mine, turn it off for a couple of days (no tank) and see how it fares.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Didn’t know there was such a thing as a new istick 20w. Thing has Possibly spent several years on a shelf. Might have damaged the battery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Or maybe that battery meter option is only on the higher watt models.
    The battery meter seems to have about 10 little horizontal bars on it. Would have to look with a magnifier to count them.
    When it looks low as in no bars on the batter meter, it'll turn itself off if I try to get a hit.

I charged it to full last night and it still looks full now, no tank on.
    It'll get some use in the car today from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM so I'll listen for the ticks when I get back home.

18. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    It's just new to me and recently purchased as "new".
    I really don't know how old it is so anything is possible.

19. My Batt Hurts

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    I left my two istick 40W mods alone for 5-6 days. One switched on, with a tank & the other turned off, topless. Readout voltage on both hasn't budged.

If leaving it on drains the battery less, maybe that's what to do? 'Tis most odd, indeed.

20. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Yea.
    It's an odd one.
    Oh, by the way, no audible ticks.
    If I ever get an other I'll go for the 40W.

Just curious, do you ever use high wattage and if yes then what ohm coils are you running?

I'm using all Kanger protank 2 coils that I rebuild, wrapping 5/64" 9/8 with Kanthal
    30 GA. My average ohmage is about 2.1 and my more rare wide range is 1.8 to 2.7. The highest I've ever consistently run the istick 20 is 8.0W, but more usually it's closer to 5.8 or 6 Watts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.