ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
iSmoka = Manufacturer
eleaf = Brand name product line

Eigate = Manufacturer
Aspire = Brand name product line

Here's a clearer example of product brand names.

Now...y'all know what this is, right?

It's Eigate's BDC coils head under their own brand name...Aspire.

aspire_bdc_coil_head_1071_p.jpg

But this one is also an Eigate BDC coil under an OEM brand name through Vision....called X-Jet.

x_jet_grelna_glava.jpg

Both products are absolutely identical cuz they're made by the same manufacturer, just different brand names.

The Vision X-Jet is called an OEM brand, which is basically Vision buys permission to market their own brand of an Eigate product. Vision would have to purchase a very large amount of these heads as well as printing, packaging and distribution rights directly from Eigate. And is this case, I think that Vision had their own distribution area specifically....(Japan, I think?)

But this example will give you all a better idea of what a trademark brand name actually is....as it's just a label more or less.

So it would read like this...for the X-Jet brand name.

Eigate = Manufacturer
Vision = Authorized OEM Distributor
X-Jet = Brand name product line

Last edited:

RamShot Rowdy

Battery Police
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
WOW!!! I bought my wife an iStick and liked it so much I bought myself one to use until my VS rDNA 40 arrived. After looking at the new iStick 30 and 50 that are coming soon, thinking I might cancel that VS order, that still hasn't shipped after 37 days, and hold out for the 50 watt iStick. It can sub-ohm, it has 50 watts, spring loaded steel 510 connection, and 4400 mah capacity. How can you go wrong with that?

Bman123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2014
Akron Ohio
I'm buying one of these asap, it will be worth it to just build a coil and not have to make them .3 ohm to pull 50 watts on a mech. Tired of the small surface area I have to deal with in order to pull decent watts. Mechanicals are cool and all but for $50 this box mod is gonna shake the vapers up a bit. Why spend $40+ on just a mech when you can get this for only $50. They are on to something now

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
Glad to have finally found an iStick 30W/50W thread. I'm currently using the 20W istick with an ego adapter to protect the threads, and have performed the Danco O-Ring fix. So basically mine works great right now except for the mystery voltage thing. I always vape at what the iStick at it's lowest voltage rating or a couple of clicks higher.

Basically, the voltage thing is a deal breaker for me with the new iStick. If they have fixed that I will pick one up. If they haven't, I'll look into the MVP3, but can't deal with the form factor anymore if it's as big as my MVP2 was.

It would be an epic fail if eleaf didn't fix the voltage thing after all their customers complained about it. I can't believe some people are already pre-ordering it without confirmation that they fixed it.

P.S. VapeNW has been great. I ordered from them off ebay and got my iStick in 48 hours.

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
Does anyone have experience with VapeNW? I'd love to pre-order the 50W but have read nothing about that site.

I bought my IPV3 from them, but was totally ...... when it arrived, the batteries I ordered from them expressly for this mod was not in the box.
I guess they got caught up in getting the IPV3's out the door they forgot to include the batteries.
Rather than shipping them out separately, they refunded the money without so much as an email to tell me what was going on, which did nothing to power the mod.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Here is the description for the 30 watt iStick from Sweet Vapes:

The new Eleaf iStick 30 Watt is available now! This is the ultimate high wattage 'budget' vaping device. It features passthrough operation, an OLED display modeled after the DNA style devices, and a huge 2200mah capacity internal battery that charges via micro USB. Please note that this device is Pulse Width Modulated tuned to 'MEAN' rather than RMS. This means it will feel like it's hitting hotter than what you have it set to. The iStick does not step down.

And as for the MVP... I'm surprised they chose the EXACT same colors as the iStick but who are they kidding? At the same price point, the 30 watt iStick is definitely the better choice.

Frisco Vic

Jul 16, 2014
United States
Specs seem way too good to be true. Only a couple mm in each direction bigger and they fit a 4400mAh battery in there? I like the iStick for its form factor and will most likely be buying the next version, I just don't think this is it.
The mini just dropped and they announced it a while ago with many places taking preorders. Yet this HUGE upgrade to one of the most popular mods of the year sneaks through with no mention from eLeaf? Got to be skeptical.
Skeptical of what?

Allan45121

May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why can't they make one of these with a replaceable 18650 battery?

I don't want to be leashed while the battery is charging, be much nicer to just pop a fresh battery out of the charger and go...

it would add to the size by quite a bit, to achieve 4400mAH+ you would need 2 18650s so it'd be wider and the device would have to be taller as well to fit in the battery housing.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Here's an image of the 20W iStick....internally.

iStick_1.JPG

The cell is a high-output 2200 mah round lipo pack w/protection circuit that is 18650 size.

So it stands to reason that the 4400 mah 50W iStick will have two of these 18650 packs.

It would make no sense at all for iSmoka to alter the internal packs when they already have a proven performance cell in the factory.

Plus, the design of the 50W body itself is a dead-giveaway that there's gonna be two of these 18650's inside of it because both ends of the 50W are rounded. The batteries will be the the ends of the body and the electronics will be in between the cells.

i_Stick_50_W_07.jpg

i_Stick_50_W_02.jpg

Last edited:

Kloudz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Phoenix, Az
www.youtube.com
." Please note that this device is Pulse Width Modulated tuned to 'MEAN' rather than RMS. This means it will feel like it's hitting hotter than what you have it set to. The iStick does not step down."

What does this mean? I know the original 20 runs MEAN, so does this device run MEAN also.
Also what is "step down"?

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
What does this mean? I know the original 20 runs MEAN, so does this device run MEAN also.
Also what is "step down"?

I don't have that info yet, but I have asked for it...waiting for an answer.

MEAN vs. RMS is complicated and should be explained by someone more experienced with an oscilloscope than me.

Before the original V2 Zmax was released, about 2 years ago...everything with Chinese electronics in mods was tuned for "MEAN" outputs. It wasn't until a German site HERE showed the differences between mean and RMS.

RMS was a more accurate way of tuning PWM to output actual voltage levels as those being shown on your screen.

The article that was published was then forwarded to Smoktech and they were the first Chinese company to change their newest Zmax (V2) into RMS. This alteration made the V2 Zmax one of the hottest selling VV/VW devices ever sold, right up with the V2 Vamo...which also followed suit after the Zmax.

Needless to say, it set off a firestorm throughout China's e-cig makers and most others followed and tuned their devices for RMS outputs.

"Step down" is describing the controller capabilities.

Example....let's say you want to vape at 3.8V and you insert a freshly charged battery that meters at 4.2V

Without a step-down regulator inside, the device cannot reduce the voltage of the battery to meet it's set output level of 3.8V, so even if you set it at 3.8V, you'll actually be vaping the voltage level of the battery....which will decrease as it discharges. Once the battery's voltage hits 3.7V, the boost regulator of the controller will "STEP-UP" the voltage of the battery to 3.8V

The 20W iStick does not have step-down capabilities...what's known as a BUCK circuit. (Reduces battery voltage)

The 20W iStick has a step-up regulator inside....what's known as a BOOST circuit. (Increases battery voltage)

Most 18650 (or larger) mods have a buck/boost circuit which can do both, reduce the cell's voltage or increase it to whatever setting you desire.

But here's a fact that not very many peeps are aware of....

A buck circuit is FAR superior than a boost circuit because it's significantly more efficient.

Buck regulators are absolutely necessary for batteries wired in series, which adds the voltage of each cell together. (2 batts in series = 8.4V) A buck circuit does not require having to use any of the batteries store power to meet the set voltage, it just restricts it's output (for lack of a better term). So if your in series batts are 8.4 V's and you wanna vape at 4.0V, a buck circuit is required.

Now, a boost circuit is the opposite. In order for the boost circuit to increase your battery's voltage, it has to use a portion of it's stored power (mah's) in order to kick the voltage higher. So your battery will drain faster and faster as it discharges. The lower the voltage of the cell, the more power the boost circuit will use to boost the voltage.

This is why when you're using a VV/VW mod it seems that your battery voltage stays between 4.2V and 3.8V for a much longer time than 3.8 to 3.4V....

So having a buck circuit and batts wired in series will significantly increase your mod's performance and overall vape times.

However, having batts in series....comes inherent risks associated with matching pairs of cells and the need to balance them at all times. Unbalanced cells can explode, so having them wired directly to the device inside eliminates the possibility of the cells becoming unbalanced. It makes such a device much safer than having replaceable cells.

This how laptop batteries can be so safe, even though there can be many cells inside of a battery pack. They're permanent and cannot be replaced for very good reasons....balancing.

Last edited:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I bought the 30 watt iStick from Sweet Vapes and it shipped today. Looking forward to getting it! I wanna wrap mine but I don't think the regular iStick wraps would fit the 30 watt? I think the dimensions are slightly different. It says the PWM is tuned to mean and does not "step down" so all I can gather from that is that it will vape hotter than other mods at the same wattage?

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
I bought the 30 watt iStick from Sweet Vapes and it shipped today. Looking forward to getting it! I wanna wrap mine but I don't think the regular iStick wraps would fit the 30 watt? I think the dimensions are slightly different. It says the PWM is tuned to mean and does not "step down" so all I can gather from that is that it will vape hotter than other mods at the same wattage?

It's very likely that the 30W has the exact same controller as the 20W, just different firmware.

If that's the case, then it will act just like the 20W iStick but you'll be able to vape up to 30W's under certain conditions.

Like the 20W, you must have the correct ohm's and voltage setting in order to vape at 20W....same goes for the 30W (I'm assuming).

But the 50W is a whole new ball game because there are now 2 cells and a different controller.

The design of the board itself for the 50W isn't the same as the 20 or 30, that much is fully visible just by looking at the location of the charging port.

The 20 and 30W iSticks, even if they're tuned for MEAN....may not be as powerful as a full-fledged big battery mod like say a Vamo for instance.

The Vamo has a buck/boost controller, so it's more powerful because you have a far greater range of reaching it's full power potential.

You can compare the difference by setting the same voltage on each device....let's just say 4.5V

You'll notice that you'll get a fuller hit with the Vamo (RMS) than the iStick (MEAN), but it'll be close.

The mean tuning will only seem "hotter" when peeps wanna vape at low voltages (under 4V)....only because the iStick doesn't have buck capabilities. So even if you set your voltage at 4V and your iStick battery meters to 4.2V.....you'll actually be vaping at 4.2V

Once the battery hits 3.9V, the iStick's boost circuit will kick your voltage up to 4V to meet your setting.

Now if you did the same scenario...but set the iStick at 3.6V and it's freshly charged and meters at 4.2V

You'll be vaping the iStick at 4.2V.....and the voltage will drop just like using a mechanical. As you vape, your voltage will drop. When the internal battery hits 3.6V, then you'll be vaping at your desired setting.

The iStick is designed for vaper's that vape at voltages between 4.2V - 5.5V, anything under 4.2V and the iStick becomes a mechanical....because the voltage isn't being regulated, you're just vaping the battery's voltage as it drops.

When you reach the point that the internal battery voltage drops below your desired voltage setting, THEN the iStick will boost the voltage of the battery to meet your setting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread