Status
Not open for further replies.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
It's RMS and DC Mode. I should've been more clear. It will buck down and boost up.

Until I see differently from Busardo's scope or someone with similar techy chops I'm guessing that DC mode will be Vavg and that buck capability will only be available for RMS, not DC mode.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
I just ordered my 30w istick from evape last night for $33.99 shipped (register with the site and get $1 worth of points to use).

They said they ship same day if you order by 2 PM. I had some questions and e-mailed them, and the guy emailed back so quickly I was amazed.

I ordered the 20w istick from vapeNW, but it looks like they have a higher price. I got introduced to them through ebay, and I found it weird that they were charging more on their own web site than they were through ebay. Oh well.

There's some istick 30w discussion going on in the original istick thread. A couple of people have mentioned that it's still firing hot, but not as hot as the original iStick.

For example, someone did a chart showing it fired at 3.38 volts when the istick showed 3 volts.

We'll see, I hope to have mine on Saturday!

P.S. No 50w for me. way too big. If I wanted a huge box mod I'd prob go for a DNA clone or something.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
For $50, if iSmoka builds the 50W like my 30W, it will clean up...

For those looking for complete empirical test results, they'll be a while. The 30W is performing so well for me that any further testing is purely academic. I will post scope traces at the end. I did an unboxing post on the main iStick thread, if anyone's interested.

Let's start at the top.

The 510 connection is much improved. Threading is clean and stainless steel. The center pin is spring-loaded with what appears to be a 3mm travel.

I have topped it with:

510-eGo adapter and EVODv1 & EVOD Glass with 1.6Ω/1.8Ω stock heads and 1.4Ω rebuilds.
ProTank2 w/AFC with rebuilt Kanger heads, both 1.8Ω horizontal and 1.6Ω BVC
AnyVape Peakomizer with 1.6Ω rebuilt Kanger BVC
Erlkonigin Clone with 1.7Ω 28g/rayon
KayfunLite+ v2 with 1.6Ω twisted 30g/rayon
IGO L with 0.8Ω twisted 28g/rayon
Plume Veil Clone with 0.5Ω dual twisted 30g/rayon
Veritas Clone with 0.8Ω single twisted 28g/rayon

All atomizers:

Sit flush and solid with the top cap.
Have solid, consistent resistance.
Fire every time I push the button.

Below the top cap, the 30W appears to be physically identical to the 20W.
- I can hold it and use it in the exact same manner.
- Buttons still rattle. But everything else is solid.
- The brilliant form-factor and weight are the same.

I haven't taken it apart yet. So I can't speak to workmanship and quality control.
- Rest assured that I will be reinforcing the USB with some epoxy or hot glue just as I did my second 20W.

The chipset appears to be doing its job, reasonably close to spec.

Resistance readings are spot on, maybe < 0.1Ω high.
5-30W
2-8V
It fires directly out of sleep and every time I press the button. (ie. no phantom button issues)
PWM, 22kHz with light "filtering", tuned to RMS
Every atomizer I put on it fires beautifully with no burning. This is a pretty smooth vape, folks.
It may be firing a bit hot, <25%. But even a minimum of 2.5V will allow us to fire practically anything we have at our preferred vape.
- Even twists/spinners only fire down to 3.2V minimum. Some are higher.
Settings lock works as speced.
Lefty/Righty mode is there.
Still no stealth mode.
The battery still wears those bunny ears.

I could sit here and nit-pick. But I don't expect the 30W iStick to regulate as well as a ProVari, have the build quality of a ZEN Mod or the beauty of many hand-crafted, bespoke mods. If we expect any of the aforementioned, we should be prepared to dig deeper into our pockets.

In summary, if you like the 20W iStick, you will love the 30watter. It is everything the 20W SHOULD have been with more power, across a wider range of resistances. For $35, the iStick 30W is a no-brainer.

We do know that the iStick is firing in PWM, at 22kHz. That's pretty fast folks; MUCH faster than a ProVari. This allows Eleaf to apply some light "filtering". (Higher frequencies are easier and cheaper to filter.) Don't expect ProVari level filtering however. The signal is much dirtier than a ProVari but MUCH smoother than the original iStick. It's output is tuned to RMS!

The original iStick's regulation was pretty darned good but tuned to Vavg. The 30W does not seem to regulate as tightly and seems to fire slightly hot. In the example below, firing at 3V, the 30W iStick is actually firing 3.38V. That is an unloaded measurement. So full testing is required to determine complete regulation capabilities.

500ms trace

Zoomed in to 1ms.

iStick 30W with some of its new family.

Good luck, everyone!

I hate typing one-handed. :vapor:

Zanzabar78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Jordan
For $50, if iSmoka builds the 50W like my 30W, it will clean up...

For those looking for complete empirical test results, they'll be a while. The 30W is performing so well for me that any further testing is purely academic. I will post scope traces at the end. I did an unboxing post on the main iStick thread, if anyone's interested.

Let's start at the top.

The 510 connection is much improved. Threading is clean and stainless steel. The center pin is spring-loaded with what appears to be a 3mm travel.

I have topped it with:

510-eGo adapter and EVODv1 & EVOD Glass with 1.6Ω/1.8Ω stock heads and 1.4Ω rebuilds.
ProTank2 w/AFC with rebuilt Kanger heads, both 1.8Ω horizontal and 1.6Ω BVC
AnyVape Peakomizer with 1.6Ω rebuilt Kanger BVC
Erlkonigin Clone with 1.7Ω 28g/rayon
KayfunLite+ v2 with 1.6Ω twisted 30g/rayon
IGO L with 0.8Ω twisted 28g/rayon
Plume Veil Clone with 0.5Ω dual twisted 30g/rayon
Veritas Clone with 0.8Ω single twisted 28g/rayon

All atomizers:

Sit flush and solid with the top cap.
Have solid, consistent resistance.
Fire every time I push the button.

Below the top cap, the 30W appears to be physically identical to the 20W.
- I can hold it and use it in the exact same manner.
- Buttons still rattle. But everything else is solid.
- The brilliant form-factor and weight are the same.

I haven't taken it apart yet. So I can't speak to workmanship and quality control.
- Rest assured that I will be reinforcing the USB with some epoxy or hot glue just as I did my second 20W.

The chipset appears to be doing its job, reasonably close to spec.

Resistance readings are spot on, maybe < 0.1Ω high.
5-30W
2-8V
It fires directly out of sleep and every time I press the button. (ie. no phantom button issues)
PWM, 22kHz with light "filtering", tuned to RMS
Every atomizer I put on it fires beautifully with no burning. This is a pretty smooth vape, folks.
It may be firing a bit hot, <25%. But even a minimum of 2.5V will allow us to fire practically anything we have at our preferred vape.
- Even twists/spinners only fire down to 3.2V minimum. Some are higher.
Settings lock works as speced.
Lefty/Righty mode is there.
Still no stealth mode.
The battery still wears those bunny ears.

I could sit here and nit-pick. But I don't expect the 30W iStick to regulate as well as a ProVari, have the build quality of a ZEN Mod or the beauty of many hand-crafted, bespoke mods. If we expect any of the aforementioned, we should be prepared to dig deeper into our pockets.

In summary, if you like the 20W iStick, you will love the 30watter. It is everything the 20W SHOULD have been with more power, across a wider range of resistances. For $35, the iStick 30W is a no-brainer.

We do know that the iStick is firing in PWM, at 22kHz. That's pretty fast folks; MUCH faster than a ProVari. This allows Eleaf to apply some light "filtering". (Higher frequencies are easier and cheaper to filter.) Don't expect ProVari level filtering however. The signal is much dirtier than a ProVari but MUCH smoother than the original iStick. It's output is tuned to RMS!

The original iStick's regulation was pretty darned good but tuned to Vavg. The 30W does not seem to regulate as tightly and seems to fire slightly hot. In the example below, firing at 3V, the 30W iStick is actually firing 3.38V. That is an unloaded measurement. So full testing is required to determine complete regulation capabilities.

500ms trace

Zoomed in to 1ms.

iStick 30W with some of its new family.

Good luck, everyone!

I hate typing one-handed. :vapor:
Thanks for the excellent write up! What I really want to know is if for example I can fire a 0.5 coil at say 18 watts and regulate down to 3v

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Can someone explain this boost up and buck down or whatever? I don't know what it means. But I want to know what it means. RMS, Mean... all foreign vape language to me. I kinda understand what PWM is and the frequencies and rattlesnake effect. I feel like a noob. All I know is "hey this vapes good!" or "I don't like this!"

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Thanks for the excellent write up! What I really want to know is if for example I can fire a 0.5 coil at say 18 watts and regulate down to 3v

The lowest I have built at the moment is 0.8Ω. I definitely steps down to the minimum of 2V or 5 W. I believe it be 2.1-2.2V in actuality. @ 0.5Ω, you will be able to regulate down to at least 2.5V/12.5W if not lower.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Can someone explain this boost up and buck down or whatever? I don't know what it means. But I want to know what it means. RMS, Mean... all foreign vape language to me. I kinda understand what PWM is and the frequencies and rattlesnake effect. I feel like a noob. All I know is "hey this vapes good!" or "I don't like this!"

To put it simply, "buck" is the ability of a mod to regulate output below that of the battery's current charge. "Boost" is the ability to regulate above the battery's current charge. I'll leave it at that as there is a difference between electrical speak and vaping speak. I don't want to confuse people.

Kryp2nite26

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
Illinois

The last sentence you wrote is the most important thing really. If a device vapes good and you like it, then use it and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread