Eleaf istick 50w Owners Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
Replaceable batteries?...for the price, I will chuck them out rather than screw around charging batteries in a charger and carrying extras...

No one's talking about carrying extras. The point is if the Li-Po batteries fail (and they do have high failure rates), your mod is bricked... unless someone has a source of 17mm x 60mm Li-Po batteries.

Last edited:

Chickentender

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2014
Seattle
This thread unstuck me - thanks for prods. :) It's true, I liked (loved the iStick) and that is responsible for at least 6 or 7 others picking one up (20w original)... Just makes sense to get another. I just thought the size of M50/m65 looked great. In the end i'm sure both are great for slightly different reasons but every tiny gripe I had about the 20w (and they were few and small) seems to have vanished with the 50w. I've got one on the way now.

Chickentender

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2014
Seattle
No one's talking about carrying extras. The point is if the Li-Po batteries fail (and they do have high failure rates), your mod is bricked... unless someone has a source of 17mm x 60mm Li-Po batteries.
This truly was a reason I was looking at the Smok. It's true these are all relatively inexpensive, a battery (if that is the failure) is still far cheaper, I agree.

mudram99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2014
South Jawja, United States
Has any one picked up the wall charger yet? If so do you have a link / source? I really don't have to get one but I'd like to have that option.

Dave I have not seen the need as there must be 50 or so old phone chargers around here with the correct mini/micro (whatever) usb end that fits these. I have several 1/2 amp, 1 amp & 2 amp and have used all with no problem. :)

mudram99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2014
Any USB charger should work, but the question I have is will it benefit from a 2.1A USB charger. I'll know when I get it.

Duc I have and there appears to be no damage to my sticks and as a note I don't think it charged any faster, I could be wrong but I thunks there must be a limiting circuit in the charging system of the sticks. :)

mudram99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2014

I always have a backup, and a backup for the backup :) That said I still use regularly my oldest 20s and have not had even any of them fail. I guess maybe I should knock on a piece of wood now after that statement, sure would hate to curse the little buggars! :vapor:

mudram99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2014
This truly was a reason I was looking at the Smok. It's true these are all relatively inexpensive, a battery (if that is the failure) is still far cheaper, I agree.

The battery can indeed be changed, maybe not by someone who has never seen a solder iron before in their life, but still relatively easy. I have opened 20s & 30s to look around but have yet to crack open my 50s but I really don't think it will pose any problem. Anything built can be repaired, sometimes it may not be cost effective but can be done. :)

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Anyone wish that they had put the display and up/down buttons on the same side as the i20w? It just seems that I am constantly fliiping it around to see the display.

Other than that I am really impressed with the battery life and fit/function.

Use the crook of your thumb with your right hand, kinda like holding a gun, you just squeeze to fire. .. Only trigger finger the left hand. This was you always see the screen

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
I've had mine since the week of release and I'm loving it. The battery life is ridiculously good and it fires everything I have well. It has a nice feel in the hand and its mini Vapor Flask-esque look is great. My only wish was that it came in a nice kelly green. The improvements to future iStick 50W (or whatever they have planned next) I'd like Eleaf to make would be - a better top; the chrome plating (or whatever) is easily scratched by attys. Make it more durable. Replaceable batteries would be nice as well, though it is nice to have a device that I just plug up and don't have to worry about batteries. Like Busardo said in his review, change the display. The long strip is kind of meh to be honest. I'd like to see resistance shown to two decimal places. A memory function to save settings. Have the 510 connection centered on the top of the device. Mostly minor things and nothing that would prevent me from buying future iStick devices.

Chickentender

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2014
Seattle
The battery can indeed be changed, maybe not by someone who has never seen a solder iron before in their life, but still relatively easy. I have opened 20s & 30s to look around but have yet to crack open my 50s but I really don't think it will pose any problem. Anything built can be repaired, sometimes it may not be cost effective but can be done. :)
Well, sure, that's true and I'm not a stranger to an iron but I was thinking of a less involved replacement process. :) Not a big deal either way.

KSS89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
Charlestown, RI, USA
Replaceable batteries?...for the price, I will chuck them out rather than screw around charging batteries in a charger and carrying extras...times are a changing for the better in my opinion.

Personally, I haven't found a battery that lasts as long as the ones in the iSticks, which are so small with high mah.
I should have clarified. I only want the replaceable batteries because i have tons of functioning 18650s lying around that wouldnt get used if i switched to the istick. If that werent the case I would have no problem with internal li-po's.

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
I should have clarified. I only want the replaceable batteries because i have tons of functioning 18650s lying around that wouldnt get used if i switched to the istick. If that werent the case I would have no problem with internal li-po's.

That's the reason it took me so long to buy a new APV I had all those batteries. Then I thought why do I have all those batteries, chargers etc? And decided that it was time to cut my losses and find a good inexpensive unit that would last at least 6 months. Now I don't have any reason to think that the iStick 50W will die in that time frame but even if it does it will have been worth it.

btw I think the battery indicator on mine is broken as I've been vaping hard for 24hrs and it hasn't moved!:laugh:

mudram99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2014
That's the reason it took me so long to buy a new APV I had all those batteries. Then I thought why do I have all those batteries, chargers etc? And decided that it was time to cut my losses and find a good inexpensive unit that would last at least 6 months. Now I don't have any reason to think that the iStick 50W will die in that time frame but even if it does it will have been worth it.

btw I think the battery indicator on mine is broken as I've been vaping hard for 24hrs and it hasn't moved!:laugh:

I tell you, I think there is a miniature nuclear reactor in these things! You just have to reheat the tiny little fuel rods ever so often with 5v :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread