Eleaf istick 50w Owners Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
Duc I have and there appears to be no damage to my sticks and as a note I don't think it charged any faster, I could be wrong but I thunks there must be a limiting circuit in the charging system of the sticks. :)

Confirmed, it's self-limited to 1 amp. This is a 2 amp charger for a UE Megaboom. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• istick50_charging.jpg
    istick50_charging.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 448

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Cool, thats confirmed.. You've got the eqiupment to test that, interesting.

I was reading some stuff last night about different cables and wall adapters on people phones and such... Apperantly most of the devices can sense if they are plugged into usb and will limit to 1/2 amp charge rate.. The cause is these cables or adapters, particularly car adapters, have pins 2&3. While a full on charger doesn't have them or they are jumpered..

Interesting discussion I read here; about half way down the comments . I'll add a quote from it. http://androidforums.com/threads/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-battery-chargers.561316/
So why does the phone assume it's connected to a computer when connected to a car charger or some universal chargers? It's because of the data pins, which are 2 & 3 on standard USB. These pins are bridged in wall chargers (or may not even be there at all) so the phone sees it as a power-only connection and draws what it can. In some universal (and just about every car) charger, the pins are left alone and the computer sees it as a data/power connection and reduces its draw. Why they leave the pins like that, I don't know

So I wonder if some that have reported slow charging have experienced this problem and just need a better adapter or cable. Or should I say I wonder if the istick is affected this way also?

On another note- it sure seems to charge faster than the 5 hours they claim.

Last edited:

Red Winter

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2014
Brighton, UK
Yup. Its a tiny powerhouse and I like it a lot. Oh and the battery life is unbelievable, my Cana30 goes on for maybe 5-6 hours on VTC4 at 15W but this thing is good for a whole day and then some.

Only downside is that non user serviceable part: battery. But who cares? By the time I have killed those internal batteries, my wallet has screamed at another device or I have replaced them.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
@beyonder
I'm sure they can be replaced if one wanted.. But from what I'm seeing about the polymer lithium batteries that I've found some have extremely long life. 500 charges even 1000+ charges, although I doubt they used one that good. I'm confident they will last 300-500 cycles easily. So by that point its served its purpose for sure, I mean this thing didn't cost much at all and a charge lasts me 2-3 days that's 2-3 years.. Shoot, still have functioning egos that are over two years old, never needed to change thier batteries. The worry of changing batteries in the community may be blown out of porportion.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
Lemo @ 1.1 ohm, 30W. The battery indicated near full from the factory and I vaped two full days using whatever charge it had on it. The battery indicated empty but it was still going strong. I wanted to keep going but I've got a full day in the city tomorrow so I stuck it on the charger. I'm beyond impressed. I'm thinking I want another one. :)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This guy knows a lot about batteries. I recommend reading some of these essays. Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

I believe the industry standard is that quality Li batteries in "normal" use will have lost 50% of their endurance after the equivilent of 400 full charges and discharges. The higher the rate of charge or discharge the more the stress so slower charging is not a bad thing. When my 50w has trouble getting through a full day then may be it's time for another device. Most of my vaping is at 12-20 watts. I wouldn't be surprised if the 50w will get the job done for several years and before then there will be some more advanced device I prefer to be carrying and the 50w will be relegated to backup.

My review of the the 50w is simple enough. If I had to replace the device today I'd get another 50w. My biggest gripe is it's slippery which I'll address with one of those textured skins. I wish there was a version of the device with the fire button located where the arrow buttons are and the button was recessed and stiffer. I think the buttons on my IPV 2s are the right way to go for these devices. I would also put the USB port on the bottom so the device is easier to use when it's charging.

If the batteries were replacable the device would have to be a lot larger. I prefer the small size. If governments make devices harder to get or more expensive in the future I might want replacaable battery devices.

If this device had replacable batteries it would have to be significantly larger. At this point I'd rather have the smaller size.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
Hey all.........I don't mean to make waves but am in the market for a new mod for the wife and I. Currently we are using MVP2 (the original one's that only go to 11 watts). Only looking as one resets, they don't fully charge and battery is starting to discharge a bit quicker. Note...we've been using for almost 2 years so I cannot complain for the $35 we spent on them.

Have any of you which purchased this compared directly to other units? Due to the luck I've had with the MVP, I first went there and checked out the 20 and newest 30 watt. Seems the MVP is bigger, heavier, more costly, has smaller battery and lower power range ....but from what I've read is built better/stronger.

I've heard this uses PWM (up until at least 4v) versus DC - any issue with this?
Why did you buy this compared to other models in the same price/performance range (MVP or Sigelei 50w) ???

Thanks!

Last edited:

shatteredsoul76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 23, 2014
    Portland, TN, USA
    I just got a 50w this week based on my experience with my istick 20w that I bought as soon as they came out and is still working great. I briefly had a MVP2 and while they are great devices it was just a bit too large for me, I also have no doubts that the MVP3 is a great device but it looks a bit too large for my taste. I needed something that was fairly compact had good battery life that I could carry on me at work all day and the 50w fits the bill perfectly.

I also have a Sigelei 50w VR 2 on the way since it gets great reviews and I already have batteries and a charger. I dont think you can go wrong with a istick 50,MVP3 or a Sig 50. The Sig 30 mini and istick 30 would also be great choices is you dont want/need more power and want something even smaller/cheaper.

mesamay2003

ECF Veteran
    Jan 30, 2015
    AZ, USA
    I have several of the Sigs, 150, 100 + and the mini 30, and also the iStick 50 and 30...all great devices, my biggest beef with the iSticks, is that the detected resistance seems somewhat inconsistent compared with the Sigs...I can screw down the atty 3 or 4 different times, and get different readings....5, .6 or .7, where the Sigs seem much more consistent in their detection and subsequent operating voltage.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread