Eleaf iStick Pico 75w Help with settings coming from old school MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

badcrc

Apr 3, 2011
WA
So for about 6-7 years I've been vaping just about every kind of old school device and tanks, all mouth to lung. I was always unsatisfied because of cloud production and flavors muting soon after you freshly fill a tank, but I'd rather have flavor and small clouds than bad flavor. I stayed away from sub-ohm mostly because of the direct to lung method. Now I finally got this pico and I'm using a 3mg 80/20 pg/vg key lime juice from myfreedomsmokes with the 0.3 ohm coil that came in the melo III tank. There's a severe lack of info in the manual about the type of coil included and what settings to use (surprising since a first time vapor might have some real issues figuring this out). After some research it's apparently a kanthal coil that only works in wattage mode, which is fine with me for now.

The problem I'm having, that most wouldn't call a problem, is I'm getting an insane throat hit and tons of flavor. I don't mind the flavor, but I'm looking for a cooler vape with small throat hit with good flavor and as much cloud production as I can get. Usually with 3mg juice on my mvp3/vamo2/spinner I get a perfect throat hit depending on the juice. If I up the wattage the throat hit gets worse the longer the drag and I'm not a fan of hot vape. Lowering the wattage with the air open about 1/3 at about 17 watts right now is pretty close to what I want, but to get a respectable cloud it seems like I need a harsh throat hit. 30+ watts is definitely overpowering with this key lime juice.

I wouldn't even be asking, but I've never had 75 watts of adjustment and full air control before. Add to that DTL and it's a little much coming from my old setups. Any tips to get my ideal vape or is this just something I need to adjust to?

Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
80/20 pg/vg
if you're using 80pg 20 vg in dtl at higher wattage, then there's your culprit that's way too high
normally i'd use a .3 0hm coil at about 69 watts with 80 VG (mine are usually stainless steel though).

If you wrote it wrong and you are using 80 vg instead of pg then ignore this entire comment :lol:

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
if you're using 80pg 20 vg in dtl at higher wattage, then there's your culprit that's way too high
normally i'd use a .3 0hm coil at about 69 watts with 80 VG (mine are usually stainless steel though).

If you wrote it wrong and you are using 80 vg instead of pg then ignore this entire comment [emoji38]
For that blend wouldn't it be better to go with an over 1 ohm coil setup? I just remember when I was using 50/50 any sub ohm coils would kill my throat even at 1 nicotine. That's a big reason i started looking at the premium, as they used to be called, juices. Not so much for the rain cloud looking exhale but a smoother vape.
As you said, if he has the pg/vg reversed, nevermind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Too much throat hit is usually caused by: too much PG, too much wattage for the coil/juice, certain flavoring additives, and high nic can be harsh. You could try: lowering PG ratio, you could try adding nic salts (some or ALL of the nic, but nic salts are smoother so if you are used to lower nic setups, it would not be UNREASONABLE to try nic salts if you so desire. They tend to be smoother, I use them because I wanted NO throat hit when I got here. So, that's an option.

As is trying other flavors, playing around with wattage and airflow and etc., and also understanding the factors that make up throat hit and messing around with them. Etc

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I prefer a cooler vape myself. I'm not particular about the quantity of vapor I make, but I've been told by other vapers they are impressed with the amount that my setup makes. I don't consider myself a high wattage vaper (30 watts). I'm a direct lung inhaler.

I use a 80 - 100% vg e-liquid with 3 - 6 mg nicotine concentration.
I use a 0.5 ohm coil with the air flow at maximum. (original Uwell Crown clearomizer)

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I could never get a good vape from the melo.... but i have that issue with all clearos... I would suggest trying different coils. Those are common style and available as many different builds.... fasttech about 20 versions... search Atlantis and Triton coils there are many brands that use and make those heads.

They are also easy to rebuild and there are three versions of an RBA head for that tank.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

badcrc

Apr 3, 2011
WA
My favorirte home MTL setup for now, is a Kayfun V5 on a Pico 75W.
I vape TC, 25W \ 450F on a SS316L, 28AWG (0.3mm), 5 double threaded , flat wraps, approx 0.35ohm.
Pleasant hit and lots of flavour.

I'll check that out, thanks.

If you wrote it wrong and you are using 80 vg instead of pg then ignore this entire comment :lol:

I double checked, all my juices from myfreedomsmokes.com are 80 pg/20 vg. I was using 80vg before and it didn't seem to work as well in my aspire nautilus and nautilus mini tanks as the 80pg. Guess I'll switch back for the pico.

Too much throat hit is usually caused by: too much PG, too much wattage for the coil/juice, certain flavoring additives, and high nic can be harsh. You could try: lowering PG ratio, you could try adding nic salts (some or ALL of the nic, but nic salts are smoother so if you are used to lower nic setups, it would not be UNREASONABLE to try nic salts if you so desire. They tend to be smoother, I use them because I wanted NO throat hit when I got here. So, that's an option.

As is trying other flavors, playing around with wattage and airflow and etc., and also understanding the factors that make up throat hit and messing around with them. Etc

Anna

OK the PG must be the issue. After using the pico for a few days now I've kind of got it where I want it going from 17-25 watts seems about right for me depending on the flavor. I'll switch back to 80vg and see how it is. Still not a huge fan of the DTL, but I'm getting used to it.

I could never get a good vape from the melo.... but i have that issue with all clearos... I would suggest trying different coils. Those are common style and available as many different builds.... fasttech about 20 versions... search Atlantis and Triton coils there are many brands that use and make those heads.

They are also easy to rebuild and there are three versions of an RBA head for that tank.

I didn't realize this thing uses coils that are used in other tanks, that's pretty sweet. I'm using the Grape Juice MFS 80pg today at 25 watts and it's a perfect vape for me. Cool, a good cloud, and mild throat hit. Maybe the atomizer is taming down a bit or maybe it was just the key lime and spearmint I was using initially combined with the high VG giving me too much throat hit.

I'm really loving the pico but my Samsung 25R 2500mah batts from Liion don't quite last a day, hopefully that improves with more charges. The 2ml tank is a little small too, I might have to swap it out for something bigger. I guess that's the sacrifice for the size.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

I double checked, all my juices from myfreedomsmokes.com are 80 pg/20 vg. I was using 80vg before and it didn't seem to work as well in my aspire nautilus and nautilus mini tanks as the 80pg. Guess I'll switch back for the pico.

OK the PG must be the issue. After using the pico for a few days now I've kind of got it where I want it going from 17-25 watts seems about right for me depending on the flavor. I'll switch back to 80vg and see how it is. Still not a huge fan of the DTL, but I'm getting used to it.

I didn't realize this thing uses coils that are used in other tanks, that's pretty sweet. I'm using the Grape Juice MFS 80pg today at 25 watts and it's a perfect vape for me. Cool, a good cloud, and mild throat hit. Maybe the atomizer is taming down a bit or maybe it was just the key lime and spearmint I was using initially combined with the high VG giving me too much throat hit.

I'm really loving the pico but my Samsung 25R 2500mah batts from Liion don't quite last a day, hopefully that improves with more charges. The 2ml tank is a little small too, I might have to swap it out for something bigger. I guess that's the sacrifice for the size.
I use 50/50 pg/vg. That is the best of both worlds. You get a reduced throat hit and much more clouds that you do with your mix. Give it a try......I think you will enjoy it. I know I do.
And you may find you can reduce some of the watts down to allow your batteries to last longer.
:)

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California

If you want better battery life as ND to use less juice....... lower wattage is the only real way.

I change the batt on mine 1x per day sometime twice..... I use around 6 ml juice as day... but i also vape at less than 20 watts.... my pico is running Arcticfox FW using a curved output that peaks at around 20 and finishes at around 10 watts in a Draw.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Psihoza

Jun 8, 2018
Croatia
Yes, lowering amp is a best way to prolong battery life, but not the only one :) I suggest also switching to Samsung 30Q or LG HG2 but ofcourse, only if yoie current wattage can take it! As those have higher capacity but a bit lower amp output.

That said, if you're struggling with DL, with battery life... Why not try another setup and go down to pure MTL? Its not your last setup anyway, it rarely is :)

As an example (not as a suggestion) Im using Pico 75 (arctic fox) with Kayfun Prime, 5wrap 28awg on 3mm, spaced, comming at 0.65 ohms. In watts it would be arround 14W but I use TC (max 25W). Last battery (Samsung 30Q) lasted for 24 minutes of vapaing which is 848 puffs. Thats 2 days for me.

Im sure similar can be achieved with some pure MTL prebuild coils on a proper tank. You dont have to "get used to" DL, batteries last longer, juice too... IMHO, id suggest DL only for people that really need it, that dont get satisfying vape out of MTL. If you're happy with MTL, why get used to DL? Its just more and more of everything.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Subtank mini by kangertech is a very good flavor tank.
    Also kayfun 5 and many more.
    Subtank mini has RTA insert included along with drop in coils.
    Here’s a link to Subtank mini and I only post it because they are so many tanks with Subtank in name I had a difficult time finding the right one.
    Kangertech Subtank Mini 4.5ml Tank
    Also if you like winding your own coils almost a must for flavor chasing a sqounk mod is probably the best for flavor chasing.
    There might be drop in coils for bf atomizers but I wind my own because it’s ridiculously inexpensive and best way to tweak flavor.

badcrc

Apr 3, 2011
    WA
    I suggest also switching to Samsung 30Q or LG HG2 but ofcourse, only if yoie current wattage can take it! As those have higher capacity but a bit lower amp output.
    That said, if you're struggling with DL, with battery life... Why not try another setup and go down to pure MTL? Its not your last setup anyway, it rarely is :)
    If you're happy with MTL, why get used to DL? Its just more and more of everything.

I actually bought a couple 30Qs also that I could use at lower watts. As for MTL I've never really vaped that way long enough to see if I liked it so I figured I might as well give the melo a shot and see. The main reason I never liked DTL on sub ohms of my friends is because it was too much vape and too harsh. I'm kinda liking it on the pico the last couple days with a cool vape at lower watts.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX 7 using Tapatalk

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    From a 22mm perspective, I like KangerTech top tank Nano.
    Instead of chosen airflow holes it has a slot on both side for custom sized slots.

Adjusts super easy, maybe too easy for some. Leak free too. Comes with a 0.5 and 1.2 stainless coil using organic cotton allows old school cocktails for a flavor-packed MTL or a nice thick vg rich sauce for super clouds.

I'm using a 0.5 with a random mix of 70vg/30pg nearly closed airflow at 28 watts for a tastey cig-a-like style toodle puff. Mrs States set up hers with a bigger airflow for her preffered airy direct lung style of vaping.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread