Electronic Cigarettes yield 90.5% nicotine vapor compared to traditional cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickelName

Mar 2, 2013
Columbus
E-cigs yield 90.5% less nicotine vapor (by mass) compared to traditional cigarettes;

Hello folks, I got sidetracked while doing some organic chemistry research and happened across some interesting information from another college. A mechanical engineering professor had put together a slideshow on an electronic cigarette testing system which included some software (labview) I have actually used in some of my early engineering classes. Anyway down to the point; for those of you wondering why you are puffing away so much more on your electronic cigarette than a traditional one, it is because you recieve a smaller mass of nicotine vapor. Using a 16mg strength cartomizer the professor found that per 2 second puff only 19*10-6g or 19E-6g of nicotine was released. A 2 second puff from a traditional cigarette yields 200*10^-6g. This is a 90.5% lower yield in nicotine.

Link: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...uxn65j&sig=AHIEtbSLS3AwoohGLeSeq-bLwNkh8VANVw

Sorry for the ambiguous title
Happy vaping

Last edited:

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
So going by this data, we now have a puff comparable cigarette vs ecig Nicotene to use when this question is asked and has been hundreds of times.

So I'll assume that a 2 second puff on an cigarette is like 90.5 2 second puffs on an ecig to acquire same nic input. So if this is correct then a cigarette is smoked using about 10 puffs which means to compare I'd have to Vape 900 puffs to equal 1 cigarette. Is my math correct here?

Can others chime in here....

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
...So I'll assume that a 2 second puff on an cigarette is like 90.5 2 second puffs on an ecig to acquire same nic input. So if this is correct then a cigarette is smoked using about 10 puffs which means to compare I'd have to Vape 900 puffs to equal 1 cigarette. Is my math correct here?

Can others chime in here....

100% - 90.5% = 9.5%. A 2 second puff on an ecig would yield 9.5% of the nicotine found in a 2 second puff on a cigarette. Ergo, 100%/9.5% = ~10.5 ecig puffs per cigarette puff. The amount of nicotine found in 10 cigarette puffs would require about 105 ecig puffs.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well since you ask - i'd demolish 3 in a 10 minute break, but if i took 4 second puffs - nothing changes, i'd still need a 36 second puff on my PV for the same effective nicotine no?

T

Before we start throwing Math at it...

What type of Cigarette was it? What was its mg Rating? How many Puffs? How Long was Each Puff?

What type of e-Liquid was it? What was its mg Rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread