ELLO tank broke apart on Istick Pico 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCsPiTTa

Aug 16, 2013
Hong Kong
Hi,

I dropped my quite new eleaf istick Pico 25 and the ELLO atomizer has split off the mod at the level of the airflow adjuster (see photos). It doesn't SEEM to have any broken metal, and I don't THINK there is any part missing, but I have no idea now to put the two pieces back together other than brute force (wind up in a vice?). There's no thread or lip in the metal I can see which would hold them together. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 092E764C-2B40-47AD-84EE-251E2F2CC79C.jpeg
    092E764C-2B40-47AD-84EE-251E2F2CC79C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • DD8ABD30-8AAE-45EC-9F2F-9810E1268384.jpeg
    DD8ABD30-8AAE-45EC-9F2F-9810E1268384.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • B117FDE0-0576-43FC-90C1-8E24D9426B9E.jpeg
    B117FDE0-0576-43FC-90C1-8E24D9426B9E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @MyCsPiTTa, looks like an interference fit. So you're idea of brute force for fixing it isn't exactly wrong, but the effort may be futile due to the fact that its already happened once.

But you've got to appreciate the positive side, your mod should be absolutely fine.

But it may well be time to invest in a couple more tanks or atomisers, as it's always good to have a few backups so that you're able to continue to vape.

And if you were wondering, new shinies don't necessarily have to cost a small fortune. Check out Low Budget Shinyitis.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hello @MyCsPiTTa, looks like an interference fit. So you're idea of brute force for fixing it isn't exactly wrong, but the effort may be futile due to the fact that its already happened once.

But you've got to appreciate the positive side, your mod should be absolutely fine.

But it may well be time to invest in a couple more tanks or atomisers, as it's always good to have a few backups so that you're able to continue to vape.

And if you were wondering, new shinies don't necessarily have to cost a small fortune. Check out Low Budget Shinyitis.
Never heard the term interference fit before. It sounds more accurate than “press fit” though which is the term I am more familiar with. To make a press fitting work you need a press. I’d say the atty is dead, unless you know a guy who owns an auto shop and is willing to do you a favor. Some auto bearings are press fit.

It’s not something worth paying to fix though. A warranty repair is within keeping in this case but it just gets you a new atty of the same type which may not be worth it.
Good to know Ellos are press fit though. That’s some cheapass construction there.

MyCsPiTTa

Aug 16, 2013
Hong Kong
Thanks guys. I'm kinda new to vaping and not looking to upgrade my rig so soon, lol, but what I'm hearing here is: it's likely a press fit that I may be able to fix by squashing in a vice; OR I may be able to get a new ELLO under warranty (does warranty cover dropping? ).

In either case, my next problem is how to get the atomizer base off my mod. I haven't even had this thing long enough to have ever tried removing the tank yet. I guess it unscrews, but there's not a lot left to grip on this thing anymore.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks guys. I'm kinda new to vaping and not looking to upgrade my rig so soon, lol, but what I'm hearing here is: it's likely a press fit that I may be able to fix by squashing in a vice; OR I may be able to get a new ELLO under warranty (does warranty cover dropping? ).

In either case, my next problem is how to get the atomizer base off my mod. I haven't even had this thing long enough to have ever tried removing the tank yet. I guess it unscrews, but there's not a lot left to grip on this thing anymore.
A vise qualifies as a press. The problem with vices is they often don’t apply very even pressure and they weren’t really designed for it. In your position I’d go for the warranty repair. I would argue that the warranty covers the press fitting not coming loose no matter what the treatment. Is Eleaf a registered supplier here? There might be a company direct forum on this site.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Problem with these kind of fixes is they often work for a bit then let you down when you least need it. You're standing on a narrow ledge on top of a mountain in a high wind, lashing rain etc, and then...Damn that tank has just came apart in my hand again. Wish I had just bought a new one.

Then there's the other scenario when you did buy another one of the same model. You're standing on a narrow ledge on top of a mountain in a high wind, lashing rain etc, and then...Damn that tank has just came apart just like the last one. Wish I had bought a different one.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I very much doubt that drop damage will be covered by Eleaf. You can ask, good luck ;)

service@eleafworld.com

info@eleafworld.com
Phrased as “I dropped it and it broke” probably won’t. You’re correct. Phrased as “your short cuff press fitting came apart on me” might though. Both are true. The best solution is get a different model atty, but that solution is not free.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Phrased as “I dropped it and it broke” probably won’t. You’re correct. Phrased as “your short cuff press fitting came apart on me” might though. Both are true. The best solution is get a different model atty, but that solution is not free.

Agreed. If there any dings dents or significant scratches it would prove the former is true 8)

It is a very short cuff... I have Ello 5, maybe 4 I'll check it out.

MyCsPiTTa

Aug 16, 2013
Hong Kong
Thanks guys. Managed to get the base off the mod with some pliers. Then, somehow, I was able to force the base back into the tank by hand, and it does work. I'll go find a vice later to give it a real good squishing, but as you've said, if it goes in this easy it will come off again easily. It'll work for now and I'll buy a backup soon

MyCsPiTTa

Aug 16, 2013
Hong Kong
Agreed. If there any dings dents or significant scratches it would prove the former is true 8)

It is a very short cuff... I have Ello 5, maybe 4 I'll check it out.

This is ELLO 4 I think - the factory model. No scratches or dents. The "break" was completely clean.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
If you like the vape you get with your Ello tank you can expand to a wide number of tanks that use compatible coils, generally referred to as the Smok TFV8 style. That way, you can try a variety of tanks while using a variety of coils that are interchangeable.

Here's a list of coils that are compatible with your Ello as well as many more (small coil column) -

This is just one way to go. There are many choices out there. Good luck!

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@MyCsPiTTa, what kind of vape is your style. Big clouds (DTL or Direct To Lung) or slight mist (MTL or Mouth To Lung)?

And if you want cheap and bulletproof, an RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomiser) or Dripper may well be of interest in the future as they require you to coil and wick them (but building isn't that daunting or terrifying). As there's a lot of cheap clones of decent high end ones to a lot of mainstream ones at reasonable prices, but always look around for the best deal.

If you like the idea of an RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomiser), recently I got hold of a couple of Coppervape Hussar Project X RTA's and have found that they're relatively easy to build (coil & wick) and so far have never got a dry hit from one unless you have run them dry or don't turn the liquid / juice flow on. There's now even a new version that is geared towards MTL (Mouth To Lung).

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think a dent or a scratch "proves" anything. I have dropped mods many, many times before that final "break" as it were.

The one that was like, ALL me thought, my beloved Tesla punk tube which I BARELY even dropped (like twice and the second time it tipped over) I did not even TRY to warranty that sucker. It literally began coming apart so fast into its component molecules, I was almost left with a pile of silver dust in my hands and you had better believe I 'helped" it along because I wanted to get the battery OUT Of there fast. I just looked at it, laughed (I think I'd had it 2 weeks) and it looked like I had BEATEN it with a hammer.

I wanted another one but (even thought not so typical for teslacigs) but I've been afraid to buy one in case it happens again. I can't have nice things! LOL I AM hard on mods and if you needed instructions on how to get the remaining "End" left inside the mod you could have come to me I have dealt with that on MANY an occasion (Thank You JOYTECH ego mega one for showing me the way...)

Dang now I am on the hunt for that TUBE. It felt so great to hold it really did!

Anna

Reactions: bombastinator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread