EM flavour brands? + My first DIY juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valchemy

Jan 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Hello there :D

I made my first juice yesterday and believe that it's missing something. It could well be this Ethyl Maltol which is present in the Cotton Candy brand. However, this is not available in Norway and if I order it from outside of this country, it can take 10 days to arrive.

They do have Candy Floss by Decadent Vapours, is this an equally suitable substitute?
Which other brands do you recommend?

I'll leave my recipe here incase anyone's interested and if you think something could enhance it, please do comment below :)

VG/PG: 80/20

0mg Nicotine

Flavour (PG based) 15%:

7% True tobacco - Capella
5% Licorice - Capella
1% Woodsmoke - Capella
1% VapeWizard - MT (FlavourArt)
1% FLASH - FlavourArt

Steeping: Water bath, 3 rounds.

Conclusion: I will make 3 more batches: 1 with the same % of flavour and leave to steep for a week, 1 with a 20% flavour and vape after quick steeping, 1 with 20% flavour and leave to steep for a week.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

SailCat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2009
Beaverton, OR
www.SailCat.com
EM by any other name would smell as sweet, and a distinctive fragrance it is, as well.

No matter what a product created with only EM as the ingredient (Cotton Candy being the one with which most DIYers are familiar) it is Ethyl Maltol. THis substance is a powder or crystal and is mixed (mist commonly) with PG or PGA to create and 10%EM liquid. Cotton Candy is 10% EM in PG, f'rinstance.

Several vendors offer the powdered form and you may well be able to obtain that more easily than pre-mixed liquid. It's available at The Perfumer's Apprentice but you must set up a wholesale account (which us easy t do) and order about ten bucks worth, if memory serves.:)

ETA: It would be a disservice not to add that while EM is often used as a sweetener, it is, in and of itself, not very sweet. It will only increase the sweetness of e-liquid ingredients which are not as sweet as the EM. That said, it's quite good at adding moistness and will often dos o without making your juice perceptibly sweeter.

Reactions: Valchemy

Valchemy

Jan 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Thanks folks :)

It's been a week now and it's tasting good, although I think another week would hit the spot.

As for sweetness, I ended up using a Sweet Tea flavouring from Capella, it worked nicely and also makes a great juice when mixed with only licorice (left to steep for a week).

EM to add thickness, wetness and body.

So EM + MT Vape Wizard have the same function?

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
So EM + MT Vape Wizard have the same function?
Not quite: MTS stands for Mellow, Thick and Smooth.
Notes obtained from several sources:
It can help produce more vapor and help blend flavors together.
Isobutavan- Sold by tpa,is a main ingredient of mts vape wizard by Flavor Arts, smooth by tpa, and flavor toner/enhancer by FW. This is the "thickening" agent in the aforementioned enhancers. It does not actually thicken your juice any, but alters the mouth feel of the vapor to seem thicker. It also cancels the vapor thinning effect of some flavorings, thus making your clouds appear denser. Too much of it can dull the brightness of the mix flavors.
I use smooth to tone down and/or eliminate the harshness which in turn creates a sore throat in some mixes. 0.5-2.5 % max. depending on the mix will eliminate sore throat for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread