Embarrassed to Vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamscon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
NC
Heres the issue with vaping: These things turn into a life line respirator for nicotine. its pretty goofy honestly .. And I see why people think its weird. If I wasnt addicted I wouldnt use them ... It would be goofy to have a wild looking device in your mouth all the time getting nothing but nic and vapor. Most people look at it as "just quit already .. "

I dunno, I obviously think their weird too .. But I doubt I would have ever gotten off cigs without them, so thank you ... mr. ecig guru.

Off Topic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
The Wood Between the Worlds
If you act like you are doing something wrong, everyone will assume that you are. If vaping indoors is illegal in your state, then don't. If is is legal, don't blow it in people's face.

I'm yet to get a negative response from strangers. I do get a lot of questions. Questions are good. That's the opportunity to spread the word. The best way to get public acceptance for us is to convert as many smokers as we can and create a positive public image. Hiding will not do this.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
The fact that you aren't actually smoking doesn't give you the right to be a jerk.

No, I don't sneak off to do it in bathrooms or outside with the smokers, but I try not to fog a place up without looking furtive about it, either.

And frankly, the need to vape isn't as urgent as the need to smoke was, so i can do a walmart run without it even occuring to me to vape.

s14sher

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm from a small town. I haven't seen anyone else vape anywhere. So, at times, I feel a little awkward and don't always feel like stopping and explaining what I am doing to people.

On the other hand, The word about e-cigs needs to get out. I think they are a wonderful alternative and wish more people would try it.

The message I would like to portray is that e-smokers are a considerate lot. That means, I don't vape anywhere where anyone could even smell my vapor. I will puff openly outdoors, but not at my children's school events. I will puff in a store, if I am alone in the aisle or at least far away from another customer.

Embarrassed isn't what I would call it. Respectful is more like it. :vapor:

I live in a town of 700. The only other person I know that vapes is my aunt, and I converted her. She tries to convert every body :D

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I use it just about anywhere.... with one exception. I don't use it anywhere I would be distracted by a cloud of vapor or find it disrespectful. During a wedding ceremony? NO Before it begins, and after, fine. During a funeral? No. Inside the entrance at a wake (but not in the receiving line) sure. Planetarium, movies, concerts, stealth if my cloud would be in someone's line of sight or don't do it. At the conference room table during sales meetings, no. In the break room, sure. At my cubicle, I turn on a small desk fan so there isn't a cumulus cloud over my desk. (I probably don't NEED to do that, but it makes me feel better because anyone that could complain probably has no idea I'm doing. Some of the management has seen it and thinks it's cool, but I'm keeping it low key in the production area so that I can continue to do it.)

I like your logic. It's common sense yet it's out in the open. It's separating vaping from smoking.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If you act like you are doing something wrong, everyone will assume that you are. If vaping indoors is illegal in your state, then don't. If is is legal, don't blow it in people's face.

I'm yet to get a negative response from strangers. I do get a lot of questions. Questions are good. That's the opportunity to spread the word. The best way to get public acceptance for us is to convert as many smokers as we can and create a positive public image. Hiding will not do this.

Excellent points.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I went to a nice Sunday brunch today and after I finished dessert I pulled out my eGo and casually, respectfully puffed away. I did NOT create a cloud of smoke, it was the hold and blow out the nose. I just acted as if it was the most normal thing in the world. The waiter came and refreshed my champagne as I was blowing some out and had it in my hand, not one word was said. I wasn't creating a disturbance, I didn't bother anybody. On our way out we were reading the specials board and I was still vaping, while talking to the hostess no less. Again, I thought nothing about it at all.

It is NOT illegal on planes. It is up to the individual airlines to make that policy. I have done so and again, did not create billowing clouds but did not hide it either. Had the stewardess said something to me when she saw me doing it when she asked what I would like to drink, I would have apologized and told her that I was unable to find their policy on it so assumed it was fine, but would not do it again. She did not, and I continued. No problem.

I lived for years as a smoking pariah, I am no longer smoking and I am going to assert my rights as an American citizen to pursue happiness. That does NOT mean I am rude, blow huge clouds or generally am disrespectful. I just go about my business. I have only been at it 1 month and 1 week, so not a huge cache of experience to draw on, but as of yet not ONE time has anyone ever asked me to stop. I have vaped in restaurants in the states of California, Minnesota and Wisconsin with no problems.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
It is NOT illegal on planes. It is up to the individual airlines to make that policy. I have done so and again, did not create billowing clouds but did not hide it either. Had the stewardess said something to me when she saw me doing it when she asked what I would like to drink, I would have apologized and told her that I was unable to find their policy on it so assumed it was fine, but would not do it again. She did not, and I continued. No problem.
Most major airlines expressly prohibit the use of electronic cigarettes. It is in the announcement, right after '...and smoking is prohibited on this flight..'. It is also in the rules and safety manual.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Most major airlines expressly prohibit the use of electronic cigarettes. It is in the announcement, right after '...and smoking is prohibited on this flight..'. It is also in the rules and safety manual.

Not on the airline I was on. I looked and listened. I read their manual. Nada, zip, nothing. It was also before I found this forum and believed the ads on TV telling me I could smoke the Blu pretty much anywhere, so had no idea it would be wrong to do so. In fact, had the stewardess told me it was not allowed I probably would have apologized and explained that I did not know since all I found when I looked at the rules on airlines was that it was up to the individual airline. Love that airline, BTW.

I thought I read somewhere that they are actually SELLING disposables on some airlines. If I could I would find the reference, but for the life of me can't recall where I read it!

ETA: I did find this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-out-free-blu-cigs-electronic-cigarettes.html

Last edited:

teamscon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
NC
Remember the government banned smoking not the people. Its up to private business owners, or management on duty to decide if its allowed in their store/plane.

I was in TX in the army and told my friends "NC was built on tobacco ... it wont be banned there." I came home, and couldnt smoke anywhere in doors lol ... Not even privately owned business.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Not on the airline I was on. I looked and listened. I read their manual. Nada, zip, nothing. It was also before I found this forum and believed the ads on TV telling me I could smoke the Blu pretty much anywhere, so had no idea it would be wrong to do so. In fact, had the stewardess told me it was not allowed I probably would have apologized and explained that I did not know since all I found when I looked at the rules on airlines was that it was up to the individual airline. Love that airline, BTW.

I thought I read somewhere that they are actually SELLING disposables on some airlines. If I could I would find the reference, but for the life of me can't recall where I read it!
Which airline was that?

Only one airline that I heard of sold some kind of smokeless disposables. That was Ryanair. By most accounts , you can not vape your own, you have to buy theirs.

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
I travel for work constantly (always on the same airline) and I have seen numerous people using their ecigs in the air. I have yet to go there, for the reason I said in my earlier post, I was fine waiting until I got off the plane to smoke, so i can wait to vape too. I've never heard any announcement about the use of ecigs, and a couple of the times I have seen people use their ecigs in the air was in First Class (I get upgraded for free for flying all the time) with the Flight Attendant right there. One one occasion the Flight Attendant was even talking to the guy about them, asking how long it had been since he quit smoking, etc.

Screwbag

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2012
Malta
I vape in most places where I think is acceptable and allowed by local law. Not in supermarkets generally not in restaurants, but I'm presently sitting in Birmingham international airport happily vaping my gripper mod with a nice stainless tank...nobody cares...

Though I did ask the airport police first, and they said sure go ahead...

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I vape in most places where I think is acceptable and allowed by local law. Not in supermarkets generally not in restaurants, but I'm presently sitting in Birmingham international airport happily vaping my gripper mod with a nice stainless tank...nobody cares...

Though I did ask the airport police first, and they said sure go ahead...

Yep, I vaped in the supermarket too. At LAX in the bar I sat right next to the waitress station where the beer taps are happily vaping and the bartender said nothing. He saw me and never batted an eyelash.

MIND YOU when I do this, I just act natural and I do NOT blow out huge pillows of vapor. Barely any comes out into the air around me.

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
Which airline?

For me it's been on US Airways, domestic (US) flights only

I see people vaping constantly in the airports, but I still haven't even brought myself to do that. Except I was recently in an airport that has the smoking rooms (i.e., fish bowls) with the plexi-glass windows and everything, so I decided to go vape in there....I couldn't handle it for more than a minute though cuz the smell of smoke was so bad in there. I can't believe I used to sit in those rooms with no problem!! Glad those days are over!

Wolf308

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2012
NC
www.into-the-fog.com
I haven't really vaped indoors just simply because I want to relax or get stuff done, and I don't really feel like being slowed down or disturbed by people asking what it is, telling me I can't smoke there, or trying to argue with me. People like to pick fights for the sake of picking fights, and I just don't want to deal with it.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
Remember the government banned smoking not the people. Its up to private business owners, or management on duty to decide if its allowed in their store/plane.

I was in TX in the army and told my friends "NC was built on tobacco ... it wont be banned there." I came home, and couldnt smoke anywhere in doors lol ... Not even privately owned business.

NC's statewide smoking ban allows smoking in non-hospitality and non-governmental workplaces only (it's completely banned in bars and restaurants). Your locality must have banned smoking in your privately-owned business (which I assume is non-hospitality). Basically, in order to qualify as "non-hospitality," you cannot regularly serve the public (i.e. office building, factory, warehouse). However, private country clubs are exempt from this requirement. Grocery stores, hospitals, and department stores (including shopping malls) fall under a completely different category.

teamscon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
NC
you guys in NY ... You just keep your hands behind your backs and hold your breathe. If not nanny bloomberg is watching you.
bloomberg_nanny-thumb.jpg

DukeBlue

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
NC

LOL tell me about it I never thought smoking would be banned in the Bull city.
I have vaped an ego twist 1000 with a dct tank, Provari with a Phiniac tank, and a wooden RSM bottom feeder out in public. The only one I’ve gotten strange looks with is the Provari/cobalt blue Phiniac tank. Here’s the funniest thing so far that’s happened while vaping. I was on a break at work sitting on a bench out front, when this little old lady drove by and looked at me funny. She pulled her car over, and came up to me just shaking her head lol. She gave me a magazine opened to a page that said does God forgive and forget and told me I NEED to read it. I tried my best not to laugh at her, so I was very respectful. She just got back in her car and drove off. When I went back in from my break I looked at the front of the magazine and it was a Jehovah's Witnesses magazine. I guess she thought I was using drugs or something lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread