Status
Not open for further replies.

LongHaul

Howdy Y'All
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Bradenton, Florida
I walk around everywhere with my Reo Grand and really don't give it a second thought. I do try to be respectful of others and not vape next to them but I use it as a good time to educate people when they either ask what it is or come over to lecture me on the local anti smoking laws. I walked around Vegas today and outside of a few funny looks from the folks in the MGM I didn't even get botherd by anyone.

Sent from my truck using 3 toasters a broken microwave and 6 rubber bands McGyver style......Chuck Norris aint got crap on me

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I've vaped in just about every restaurant I've been in. My sister had a bridal shower. I vaped after dessert while watching her open gifts. Not a problem. The other night I was in a restaurant with family and the tables were ridiculously close and there was a 2 year old within a foot of me. I didn't vape there.

I think we need to vape in public so that people can see what it is, ask questions, and get a business card or website for more information if they're interested smokers or a non-smoker with family, friends, coworkers that might be open to it. The more nonsmokers see it, and the more smokers converted, the more people we have on our sides when the nannies attempt to restrict us. When the recent ban proposal hit NYS this summer, I know that at least 30 friends that I know of that don't smoke wrote letters to their representatives based either on seeing my success with it, or wanting it available to their own family members.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Implicit in many of these responses is the assumption that non-smokers find vaping offensive. That's just not true. They don't. Most non-smokers think vaping's really cool. That is provided they are sure you aren't smoking. That means no 510s or 808s in public ever. I have vaped in non-smoking areas in 5 states and never had a problem. If it's easy to ask like in a restaurant, I usually do but, not every time. I've never been turned down anywhere.

If the situation is such that people can ask you about it, some will. They are curious, they want to know more about it. Many times they want information for a loved one.

A lot of it is attitude. I don't flaunt it nor do I disguise it. I vape in public just like I'm in my living room minding my own business. I pay no attention to whether I'm producing clouds or not. I'm not doing anything more remarkable than chewing gum and what I'm doing won't stick to your shoe.

I'll say that if you can't vape in public comfortably, you probably shouldn't but, I wish more people would. If we don't define ourselves to the public other people will.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
Whip out the big tube mod with the jumbo tank and you might get some stares.

I get less looks with a chrome provari and tank than I did with a black kgo/black carto. Thought it was strange.

I vaped in a handful of airports now. I don't send out clouds, I do it respectfully. I have done it on the moving sidewalks, but usually I find a place off to the side but not hidden.

I travel a lot and I LOVE that I no longer have to choose between a smelly smoking hotel room and going outside to smoke, and worrying about rental cars, etc. I don't vape every second I am walking around in public but I also have no issue when I feel like it.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I have been thinking about this, and I think I sort of figured something out. At home, it is all about getting the best hit, vapor and flavor. I tend to billow clouds. But when I am out it is more about just maintaining my nicotine level; I don't have to be like one of the guys in the YTube videos blowing copious amounts of smoke and smoke rings to be happy. I don't want anyone doing the fake cough thing or having fits because I am "smoking", so I kind of keep it on the down low. I am a nicotine addict. Whatever keeps my cravings happy!

The one time I didn't was at a Japanese restaurant where the owner knows me and wants to try to quit also (I sit at the sushi bar). I just sat down and started telling him what flavors I brought with me, and what was new with my vaping. I proceeded to get a nice cloud going. The girl next to me turned to her dad and says "I am ready to go now!". I didn't think much of it really. Next time I pulled it out, same thing "DAD. I am ready to go now!". She never said a word to me, but I thought after they left that maybe she just didn't have the guts to ask me what it was? It isn't as if she didn't hear our conversation, there is no way to miss it. And I didn't blow any of it at her of course, it was blown off to the other side. I bet she just assumed it was some tobacco thing. Or maybe she was just done eating and wanted to go and I am paranoid :laugh: I should go check yelp and see if there are any reviews along the lines of "and they still allow SMOKING". LOL

After the lunch rush, once the place was "just us" I handed the owner one of my backups I had prepared just for him and he went at it. It may not be the best sushi joint in town, but I do really like the owners! And the waitress there is convinced it is just like Hooka and thinks it is so cool.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
Embarrassed about what?

The thought never crossed my mind.

I've always taken for granted that most places indoors adhered to a no-smoking policy, so I generally follow that policy to avoid confrontation. I say "generally" because I'm still gonna vape. I just won't allow anyone to see any vaper, so as far as they're concerned I'm not smoking or vaping .

They're happy, I'm happy, and no one gets their panties in a twist.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
Most of the non smokers are really confused when I blow out the plume and it doesn't stink...

You've prompted me to share my "Quote of the Day":

"I keep seeing people with smoke around them but I don't know where it's coming from!"

-
Woman at the bus stop who failed to get "a light" from an e-cig user (me).

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA
I've only been vaping for 6 days now, but I went into my doctors office for a followup visit because I pulled a muscle in my back, and while there I was talking to a nurse, and I told her I am trying to quit smoking, and she asked "what are you using to quit, anything"? To that I broke out my Ego-T and took a big drag and blew out a big cloud of vapor, and she didnt know what it was, but she seemed to know that I wasnt smoking though, and I told her what it was.

I went to a movie on Friday, but I didnt vape in the theater. I went out to eat the other night, but didnt vape in the Applebees(well, I did in their bathroom!)

I was standing in line with a few people last Wednesday, and we were indoors in a non-smoking area, and I broke out my Ego and took a hit, and when I blew it out 2 people in line gave me crazy looks and asked what I was doing! I showed them and they were OK with it.

There arent too many people around that are vaping, or at least I never see anyone doing it, and prior to me buying an Ego, I had never seen one anywhere vaping, so I worry about vaping and blowing out large vapor clouds in non-smoking areas, because someone is going to mistake it for smoking and flip out!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Well, going on 2 years and I still feel a little funny about it. People who don't know what's up look at you like you are doing something bad. And people who do know look at you with interest or sometimes even distaste because it's not a cigarette. The point is... they LOOK at you! :p

I wish I could read minds and faces. But then not really since I don't care what other people think.

jennlsnoopy

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Spokane, Wa
www.myspace.com
I got my first e-cig three years ago today. I used to be all about trying to figure out where I could use it and also feeling embarrased that someone would wonder what I was doing or tell me to stop. Especially 3 years ago when vaping was so new that most people didn't know what they were or anything about them.

I find now that I treat it more like I would a real cig. I would never use it while working ( I work in retail and customer service) although I do use it on breaks in the break room and no one cares. I also don't ever use it when shopping. I feel like why bother, I can just vape when I'm done. It's not like I can't go an hour with out it. I do however use it in movie theaters, but I will sit in the back and vape in a way that no one can tell that I'm vaping.

Maybe it's because it's not so new to me anymore, but I don't think it should matter if you use it while shopping or in the theater or places like that as long as your not trying to throw it in someones face or make a big specticle out of it. I've seen many people using them standing in line at my work and I've never had a complaint so it doesn't seem like most people care. I think people are much more educated about them then they were 3 years ago or even a year ago.

DarklyNoon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Virginia
I vape in stores and such and haven't even been asked about. I'm assuming that most store employees/managers have encountered it prior to me coming in at this point.

I haven't had a negative reaction yet, and most people are amazed at how good my second hand "smoke" smells.

Of course it's a Provari with either a DCT or a vivi nova, so there's no confusion as to it being an analogue.

However I do tend to stealth vape by holding in and exhaling into my shirt in theaters to prevent causing a scene.

moseng

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
I wish I could read minds and faces. But then not really since I don't care what other people think.

Heh, reading minds would hurt IMO. You are right, I should not be concerned what other people think about me vaping but for some reason I just notice it more than when I smoked. I mean when you think about it, you're smoking a battery man!! Now that's has to seem funny to those who don't!

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
As a rule I only vape outside and in designated smoking areas. So in that regards ain't much has changed.

But just because I have switched doesn't mean I have granted myself all the privileges most of us think we get when we start to vape. Because hey, its not tobacco smoke right? So guess what again, I'm going to damn well vape. No matter where and when I go somewhere.

That just cracks me up. But don't let that stop you from doing what you want to do. Keep on vaping on.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
As a rule I only vape outside and in designated smoking areas. So in that regards ain't much has changed.

But just because I have switched doesn't mean I have granted myself all the privileges most of us think we get when we start to vape. Because hey, its not tobacco smoke right? So guess what again, I'm going to damn well vape. No matter where and when I go somewhere.

That just cracks me up. But don't let that stop you from doing what you want to do. Keep on vaping on.

I got sucked into the TV commercial for Blu. Shows the guy smoking all over the place, including restaurants. So I am gonna stick with that image they blast all over TV and continue. I don't consider it a privelege, I consider it to be really no one else's business as long as I am not blowing the stuff in their faces.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That brings up a question would the vapor even set off a smoke alarm ?Never even thought about that before.
I am pretty sure it depends on what type of smoke alarm it is.
Some will go off and some will not.

Those are awesome! I might have to get one just for the fun of it.

I see people vaping constantly in the airports, but I still haven't even brought myself to do that. Except I was recently in an airport that has the smoking rooms (i.e., fish bowls) with the plexi-glass windows and everything, so I decided to go vape in there....I couldn't handle it for more than a minute though cuz the smell of smoke was so bad in there. I can't believe I used to sit in those rooms with no problem!! Glad those days are over!
Even when I smoked, those smoking rooms bothered me a lot.
They are disgusting.

The more nonsmokers see it, and the more smokers converted, the more people we have on our sides when the nannies attempt to restrict us.
This is the thing many people may not be worrying about, when they really should be.

We've all gotten used to the slowly creeping advance of the restrictions.
But as we get used to them, they just pile on more.

Now in many places they are going after public parks, smoking in your car, and smoking in condominiums.
If people continue to comply by vaping only where smoking is allowed, then look what's going to happen to all of us.

And don't think for one minute they are done. They are never done, and it is up to us to stop them.
We NEED to make sure people understand that vaping is not smoking, or we will be screwed just as hard as smokers some day.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
In an airplane, movie theater, play, or concert I stealth vape by blowing the vapor down my shirt.

In restaurants and bars I ask if it is okay, and sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.
If it isn't I usually stealth vape there too.

But when they say yes, I'll gladly puff out a few minor clouds every 5 or 10 minutes.
:)

When people see a small cloud, but don't smell anything at all, we all move one step closer to freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread