Energizer & Duracell NiMH BUSTED! (EEVblog #1200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Not many of us use NiMH cells in our mods (anymore?). But it is interesting that even Energizer & Duracell now engage in practices on the edge of shadiness. You pay extra money thinking you are buying a D cell. But in reality, you are really buying a C cell with a D size adapter. :(

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Packaging to fit the application is OK as long as the MAH rating equals the labeling on the outside, IMO. Still, it's strange that they had to do that to provide the size and MAH rating. We are used to a cell being filled with electrolyte. I guess technology is providing efficient electrolyte materials that don't require filling the can to the top.

Lightweight cells remind me of the cheap cells that come included with some electronic devices. You know it's more air than electrolyte and it's not going to last much longer than the first test use.

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Packaging to fit the application is OK as long as the MAH rating equals the labeling on the outside, IMO. Still, it's strange that they had to do that to provide the size and MAH rating. We are used to a cell being filled with electrolyte. I guess technology is providing efficient electrolyte materials that don't require filling the can to the top.
Yeah but D cells generally cost double of what C cells cost. So why are people paying double? That seems really dishonest to me. :(

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
Yeah but D cells generally cost double of what C cells cost. So why are people paying double? That seems really dishonest to me. :(
Paying for the technology I guess , if they can do a D "can" with the guts of a C,and get the same performance who really looses?

Last edited:
Reactions: BillW50

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
Typical alkaline D capacity is 12000-18000 mAh (18-27 Wh)....but don't run 'em too hard
ok now that I know this I agree, its a very crappy thing to do, and should be disclosed/ disseminated to everyone maybe even a boycott but retailers are in the Big battery club, otherwise, I'm sure we would have more choices than the Du and En

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So.... Yemme see if I have got this Straight.

The guy with the Vid say he Believes that the Energizer and the Duracell has the mAh that the OEM's spec sheets states. And that Same mAh is Clearly printed on both the Packaging and on the Battery Wrap.

So where Exactly is the Problem?

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
So.... Yemme see if I have got this Straight.

The guy with the Vid say he Believes that the Energizer and the Duracell has the mAh that the OEM's spec sheets states. And that Same mAh is Clearly printed on both the Packaging and on the Battery Wrap.

So where Exactly is the Problem?
Exactly, and my thoughts on it are that they probably opted for a cell size that performs as needed and doesn't require an extremely long charge time, NIMH cells seem to do best with a gentle charge current in my experience, and I have driven devices with sub-c cell packs that were designed for D-cells and those packs worked wonderfully. An 8,000 MaH cell would need 160 hours or more to fully charge with a 50 Mah charger, 80 hours at 100 Mah charge rate. Folks more in the know could use a smart charger and a sled to up the current into the cells, but then you are balancing charge time vs wear and tear...and even though the modern cells hold charge better than just a few years ago, they all seem to loose some charge while sitting...so there's that aspect.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    The bunny will not be happy...
    WearyTautIberianmidwifetoad-max-1mb.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread