Energizer led flashlight mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Well I was at my local place of employment/hardware store (lowes) and noticed this at the register. Energizer-Eveready 01726 PLED23AE ALUMINUM LED PENLIGHT Flashlight - Buy LED Aluminum Penlight Eveready Flashlight Online at ServiceLighting.com So I bought it to see if I could mod it into a battery for my 801. Well I used the piece from radio shack for the connector, and the smallest switch they have (spring button type). The tiny switch is comming out of where the led was. Im using it right now with 2 plain jane AAAs and it takes a sec but I can get some SERIOUS vapor out of this baddie on only 3v. Its sooooo much cooler and smoother, can take a 20 sec drag and not burn it or me. :evil: pix will be later

Vageorge

Mar 4, 2009
Australia
If it hasn't got one of these i don't want to know about it.

Attachments

• n42at.jpg
    n42at.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 85

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Its not pretty (yet) since my skills arent up to par (2nd thing built, first was a usb passthrough). However it works, but once the batteries drop to around 2.7v it stops vaping... So on fresh batteries a reaaaallly looooong slow drag will give some very nice vapor but its not lasting. I need to find some batteries around the size of a AAA with a little more umph behind them. I dont like anything near the normal voltage these batteries run at (the stock ones that come with the 801) since I get a burning taste quite quickly no matter how moist I keep it or how easy I take drags from it. This has never gave me a burning taste, if I take the atomizer off this and put it on a battery or the passthrough, BAM burned taste.

Now if only I could find some 2-2.3v AAA sized batteries or something. I might have to scrap this and make a juicy box, itll prob work better, but this is a nice concept.

Attachments

• P1010102.jpg
    P1010102.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 207
  • P1010104.jpg
    P1010104.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 167
  • P1010105.jpg
    P1010105.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 159
  • P1010106.jpg
    P1010106.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 163
  • P1010107.jpg
    P1010107.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 144

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
You can control the vapor and the throat hit to some degree by the speed at which you draw air through the atomizer. A stronger, faster draw will produce a cooler, less harsh vapor as you are getting more air through in the same amount of time. A longer, light draw moves the air slower so it spends more time in the atomizer heating up and collecting vapor. So, if you want more throat hit, draw more patiently and slowly, if you want less throat hit, draw harder and faster. The voltage controls how quickly the atomizer heats up, that is all. A 6v battery pack heats up a lot faster than a 3v pack. With the manual switch, you can control when power is going to the atomizer.

My suggestion: run it on a single 10440 lithium battery (physically the same size as a AAA) with a spacer to take up the extra space. This battery is 3.6v and drops to around 3.3 volts quickly (the nature of lithium). Use your switch and your draw to control the temperature and the harshness of the vapor.

That is a really nice looking mod:thumbs: and I would hate to see you abandon it so soon. I see real hope for this one. If you do decide to abandon it, I would love to take it off your hands.:evil:

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
Well I have a 10440 laying around somewhere but I have NO idea where the charger is. My problem is, even though say the USB battery I have is around 3.8v constant, I get an almost instant burned taste even if I inhale quickly. However on this with fresh batteries (3.17v roughly) I can take the worlds slowest drag and not have a nasty burned taste. Is it just the AAAs arent pushing as much amps to the coil compared to the lithium batteries? (stock ones)

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I wish I knew more about this stuff. Unfortunately, I am just a novice at this battery stuff. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come by soon. I am not sure what exactly causes the burnt taste - if it is the coil itself, or the liquid evaporating leaving something behind, etc.

I, personally, only experience a burnt taste when my atomizer is too dry. You say you have been keeping it wet, though. I am lost on this one. Wish I keep be of more help. I will keep stopping in reading, maybe I can learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread