Episode of House....guy sick from propylene glycol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmoondreamer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
Tyler, Texas
I was watching the very last episode of Season 5 of House MD tonight, (Season 5 episode 24 if you care to look for it) and at the end of the show, where they always pull through with the right diagnosis, Dr. Taub rushes up and tells House that the deodorant the patient is dying because he uses has a high proportion of propylene glycol, the same stuff that made a kid in Singapore develop a heart condition and seizures...WHAT?

I know it's just a tv show, but I've heard that well-known physicians actually help with the scripts to ensure that they portray illnesses and diagnosis correctly. I've been entirely comfortable with PG because it's used widely in pharmacuticals...what the heck?

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
... he would have had to be eating his deodorant, and a ton of it every day at that.
toxicity may result from

* excessively large or rapidly infused intravenous injections of propylene glycol-containing medications, excessively large or rapidly infused intravenous injections of propylene glycol-containing medications (Louis, Kutt et al. 1967; Seay, Graves et al. 1997; Yorgin, Theodorou et al. 1997; Wilson, Reardon et al. 2000)

So if you go out and buy a few gallons of PG for some DIY stuff.... don't chug it instead of mixing it. :)

(Note: Anything in a massive quantity is dangerous.)

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
There are certain people that have a negative reaction to just about everything that is on this planet. Some have bad reactions to alcohol, aspirin, caffeine etc... Even peanut butter. I think thats a crock of ****, but I know that when my kid was in elementary school, he was not allowed to bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to school. Although I do remember many days as a child having a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, and to the best of my recollection, I cannot ever recall seeing another kid keel over and die from sitting next to me while I was eating it. And I don't remember any other kid dying from it either. But they say it can happen and it is a big problem with kids keeling over and dying in school these days. I have no proof of that, but it most be so because my son was not allowed to bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to school.

That being said, I'm sure there are some people out there that will have a negative reaction to PV as well. I suppose we should ban those people from driving a car too. Because PV is in antifreeze and their car might over heat and some antifreeze might make contact with their skin and they too may keel over and die, just like the little kids that come into contact with peanut butter. I would hate to be the guy that watched a bunch of people die from coming into contact with antifreeze. That would be just too much of a burden to have to bear for the rest of my life. Could you just imagine how much trauma that would be? I might just keel over and die from it. LOL

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread