Erlkonigin mini clone: help with dry hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mashbot

Feb 3, 2014
United States
So, I've finally met an atomizer that has me stumped. I've built plenty of drippers, I've built a sub tank and some orchid clones and I've gotten all of them to vape well. But the Erl mini is a different beast. It mocks me every time I try to build it. I've read the pictorial, and I've tried 5 slightly different builds, but I can't seem to get more than a couple hits before I start burning cotton. My last build I even tried removing the juice control ring completely. It seems no matter how well I trim the cotton, or how much or little I stuff down the wick channels, I have the same problem. Can I just put a little wick into the top of the channel? I'm not sure how far up the juice will rise due to air pressure alone.

5spike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
WI
I just went threw the same thing with my mini. I use rayon but don't know if that matters. I cut my wick even with the threads. then take a very small 45 degree angle cut off the top half. There needs to be enough wick at the top to seal the chimney, but not to much or it pinches off the flow and you get dry hits. (very important) Barely any wick in the channels. just so it makes it around the rounded part of the juice channel.
Oh and no ring.

inganeer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Missouri
If this helps I trim about 2/3rds of my wick off just as it bends over into the channels. I use a high VG mixture and had the same troubles with mine at first. The last build I done I tried making a point wit the wick at the bottom of the channel. So far so good. Going to redo one tomorrow and will try to remember pics as I go.

RipTodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Ripon, WI
www.rathkampdrums.com
I've had the Erlprinz for a couple weeks now, and it has been challenging. I've finally made a discovery that seems to be working. I'm currently running 26g Kanthal at .7. Aside from thinning the tails of the wick, the trick for me seems to be a fairly low wattage. 18W/ 3.7V seems to be the fail safe sweet spot.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
this is how i was building mine, and it was working wonderfull up to 20 watts on the istick.

started with a 2mm coil, put in the cotton

cut the cotton in half length wise, only up to the shoulder.

cut the upper half of that cotton tail off.

trim if necessary so the tails reach only to where the threads start, and juice up :)

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I just went threw the same thing with my mini. I use rayon but don't know if that matters. I cut my wick even with the threads. then take a very small 45 degree angle cut off the top half. There needs to be enough wick at the top to seal the chimney, but not to much or it pinches off the flow and you get dry hits. (very important) Barely any wick in the channels. just so it makes it around the rounded part of the juice channel.
Oh and no ring.

That's how I wick also. Make the wick fit the inside of the chimney.

First I run a little tail down the wick channels, cut above where the threads end.

Then I trim the part left at the top even with the base edge on both sides.

Then I cut the angle of the chimney off the very tops.

Perfect every time.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
The following works for me with nickel. I stopped putting anything at all down the vertical juice channels, have the wick ring removed, installed 2mm posi pole holder & removed AFC. Currently vaping this build with .13Ω twisted 30g around 3mm mandrel wicked with rayon at 26w and 480F.

twistedni2001.jpg

twistedni2002.jpg

twistedni2003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread