Establishments Banning E-Cigs - 2 reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else see all of the restaurants, colleges, stores, etc. banning e-cigs? I'm sure you have, it's all over the news.

I think there are two reasons for all of these bans:

1. Misinformation - there's a TON of misinformation about e-cigs out there. They're new and people who know nothing about them are afraid of them, so they just ban them. This is a given and you all know about this so I won't go into it.

2. Vapers are so blatant about vaping indoors, in public. This is the sad reason because it's our fault.

Sometimes I'll go out and see vapers just blatantly blowing big clouds of vapor indoors, drawing a ton of attention to themselves. They figure because it's not smoke, it's just vapor, it's ok. It's not ok because it's offensive to non-smokers, and we've all been conditioned to avoid clouds of smoke because of the toxic crap it has in it. Of course we know 2nd hand vapor is harmless, but others don't know that.

The solution is not to vape indoors in public, or if we must, to stealth vape. I've become good at this over the years to the point that people don't even know I'm vaping if I do so indoors. Discreetly bring my e-cig to my lips, take a drag, hold it in for a while, then just blow whatever vapor remains (which is very little if any if I hold it in long enough) down my chest so no one sees a cloud.

How can we prevent new vapers from drawing this bad attention to our community? Ideas?

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
There isn't really misinformation, just a lack of it.. Most people probably look at it from a "better safe, than sorry," standpoint. I'm not saying there isn't misinformation against vaping, because there is. However, there is also the same amount of misinformation of positive things from vaping, when that isn't concrete information what so ever..

If someone doesn't have the basic sense to not cold-box a public area, there isn't really going to be anything to be done about that. I guess just smack every person in the face that doesn't get permission to vape indoors from the establishment and people around.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Short answer. You cant. You have no right to make personal decisions for the rest of us.

You may see it as bad attention but others of us know that if we let them lump us in with smokers, if we willingly let them relegate us to the same dark, smelly, and ever-shrinking corner, then it should come as no surprise when we are treated JUST LIKE SMOKERS.

Theres no need to hide it, you arent doing anything wrong.In fact your doing something thats a positive step in the right direction so why act like youre doing something wrong? Imo THAT helps spread misinformation much more than vaping in the open and answering peoples question with an intelligent answer.

You could be doing something as innocent as eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but if I saw you slinking into a dark corner to eat it, all hunched over with your back turned to me and trying be stealthy about it, I would mistrust that too.

Two sides to every coin, and more often than than not the truth usually lies firmly in the middle of two extremes.

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Vaping has moved from a healthy alternative to a cloud blowing hobby for some, and those who feel the need to display their vaping prowess are undermining general acceptance.

What reaction can one expect from business owners and people in general when blowing big clouds of vapor? This still isn't as healthy as plain old air, so their taking offense is no surprise. The attention seeking vapers are hurting the rest of us, one cloud at a time.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I disagree,,,,,,,,,

some MISinformation I've heard,,,,,

those are worse than regular cigarettes,,,,,,,,

those will blow up in your face and take your teeth with it,,,,,,,,,

those contain antifreeze,,,,,,,,,,,

Short studies have shown that they aren't worse than cigarettes, but there aren't any long term studies to confirm or deny that.

PV's can blow up if you don't know what you're doing/basic battery safety. It happens.

PG, VG, and PEG can be used alone as an anti-freeze, but just because something has a low freezing point, doesn't make it any more harmful. All three of those bases can and are used in pharmaceutical applications, such as injectable solutions. Quick counter-point for someone that doesn't know how to read an ingredient label.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
I disagree,,,,,,,,,

some MISinformation I've heard,,,,,

those are worse than regular cigarettes,,,,,,,,

those will blow up in your face and take your teeth with it,,,,,,,,,

those contain antifreeze,,,,,,,,,,,

Ive heard comments like this too. Which is why I advocate vaping publicly. The stealth vaper isnt answering or refuting statements like those.Theyre too busy trying (and usually failing miserably to be stealthy) Personally they remind me (and probably others as well) of illicit drug users and that alone can cause quite a bit of fear and mistrust.

On the opposite side of this are the vapers who take delight in blowing plumes of vapor everywhere regardless of the situation or who is present. Freedom to vape has to be tempered with common sense, courtesy and respect for others.

I dont vape while pumping gas for example because shorts do happen and because Im trying to consider others feeling and reactions. Even if its only a small chance that something can wrong, I have no right to take a chance with their lives like that.

In short theres no need to hide but theres no reason to be a ......... about it either.

Last edited:

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
Short studies have shown that they aren't worse than cigarettes, but there aren't any long term studies to confirm or deny that.

PV's can blow up if you don't know what you're doing/basic battery safety. It happens.

PG, VG, and PEG can be used alone as an anti-freeze, but just because something has a low freezing point, doesn't make it any more harmful. All three of those bases can and are used in pharmaceutical applications, such as injectable solutions. Quick counter-point for someone that doesn't know how to read an ingredient label.

I guess it's how you define MISinformation then,,,,,,,,

Harlen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Charlotte Nc
To not respect others when you vape is just bad manners.
I vape every place I go but never blow vape at some one .if I'm at some ones house I ask if it's ok to vape.
When playing poker I have ben asked what's in it and if there's anything in the vape I exhale and I let them know what I know.
It's just water vaper .
No problems yet.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Ive heard comments like this too. Which is why I advocate vaping publicly. The stealth vaper isnt answering or refuting statements like those.Theyre too busy trying (and usually failing miserably to be stealthy) Personally they remind me (and probably others as well) of illicit drug users and that alone can cause quite a bit of fear and mistrust.

On the opposite side of this are the vapers who take delight in blowing plumes of vapor everywhere regardless of the situation or who is present. Freedom to vape has to be tempered with common sense, courtesy and respect for others.

I dont vape while pumping gas for example because shorts do happen and because Im trying to consider others feeling and reactions. Even if its only a small chance that something can wrong, I have no right to take a chance with their lives like that.

In short theres no need to hide but theres no reason to be a ......... about it either.

I agree with you to a point, vaping in public should be done anywhere, BUT once you enter a store or any property of sorts you no longer have the "right" to just pull out your PV and go off. If the rules are no smoking and no e-cigs you are no longer on public property if the property owner chooses not to want said items used on his/her property that is his/her RIGHT.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
I really don't see vaping being allowed indoors ever. No matter how much information is out there it still looks too much like smoke and people will continue to see it as such. I didn't start to vape just so I could do it anywhere I did it for my health. I feel and smell better and now I can go longer without it so its no big deal when Im out and about. Personally I think that anyone should be able to go to a store and not need to puff while you are in there.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
I agree with you to a point, vaping in public should be done anywhere, BUT once you enter a store or any property of sorts you no longer have the "right" to just pull out your PV and go off. If the rules are no smoking and no e-cigs you are no longer on public property if the property owner chooses not to want said items used on his/her property that is his/her RIGHT.

Im not disagreeing with you there. Fortunately in Virginia we had a Commonwealth Attorney who was blessed with more common sense than most politicians. He ruled that electronic cigarettes do not smoke or combust so arent covered under non-smoking bans. This means we can vape pretty much anywhere we want but myself and most other vapers Ive seen try to temper that with courtesy and respect.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
That's really a pipe dream.

To think that if we hide vaping or vape where no one can see us they'll somehow allow vaping. "Boy those vapor's sure are polite the way they hide, let's give them a cookie and allow them to vape."

When has that historically ever happened?

I live in a pretty populated area, and I don't see massive crowds of people blowing huge plumes in people's faces. Is that something that actually happens?

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
I really don't see vaping being allowed indoors ever. No matter how much information is out there it still looks too much like smoke and people will continue to see it as such. I didn't start to vape just so I could do it anywhere I did it for my health. I feel and smell better and now I can go longer without it so its no big deal when Im out and about. Personally I think that anyone should be able to go to a store and not need to puff while you are in there.

See the post right above Caridwens.

People tend to think in regional terms.Just like drinking laws in the U.S, vaping varies from locality to locality.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...

That's it. It looks like smoking. If someone created a delivery system that released no vapor, vaping anywhere wouldn't be an issue. Not many on here would buy it, though.

Pyrate

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Anyone else see all of the restaurants, colleges, stores, etc. banning e-cigs? I'm sure you have, it's all over the news.

I think there are two reasons for all of these bans:

1. Misinformation - there's a TON of misinformation about e-cigs out there. They're new and people who know nothing about them are afraid of them, so they just ban them. This is a given and you all know about this so I won't go into it.

2. Vapers are so blatant about vaping indoors, in public. This is the sad reason because it's our fault.

Sometimes I'll go out and see vapers just blatantly blowing big clouds of vapor indoors, drawing a ton of attention to themselves. They figure because it's not smoke, it's just vapor, it's ok. It's not ok because it's offensive to non-smokers, and we've all been conditioned to avoid clouds of smoke because of the toxic crap it has in it. Of course we know 2nd hand vapor is harmless, but others don't know that.

The solution is not to vape indoors in public, or if we must, to stealth vape. I've become good at this over the years to the point that people don't even know I'm vaping if I do so indoors. Discreetly bring my e-cig to my lips, take a drag, hold it in for a while, then just blow whatever vapor remains (which is very little if any if I hold it in long enough) down my chest so no one sees a cloud.

How can we prevent new vapers from drawing this bad attention to our community? Ideas?

In Red: This is EXACTLY why Vaping has been banned in most places I work or frequent
I started Vaping 4 years ago. I was the only one doing it.Everyone thought I was weird, but I never blatantly vaped in public. I would always go out to a "smoking area" or stealth it.
A year ago and everyone is doing it. However almost no-one is discreet about it. No-one tries to stealth vape or at least keep it low profile. They just blow big clouds into the air.
Today, vaping is banned in most public places.
Now all I hear is Vapers screaming WHY!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread