Establishments Banning E-Cigs - 2 reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Businesses aren't going to hire extra staff to walk around telling 'concerned' customers the vapor they see coming from other customers isn't smoke. Easier and cheaper just to prohibit vaping. No amount of education will counteract the fact that vapor looks like smoke.

I would say this is the biggest factor for places that ban e cigs. People who see you vaping don't think oh look there's a vaper they think why is nobody putting a stop to that smoker over there? Perception is everything, even if people don't pull you up over it personally they're thinking someone should and any complaint to a manager of a place is reason enough to ban it.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I have good friends that own two very successful restaurants and a sports bar. They would love for people to be able to vape in their bars. (BTW, they are non-smokers). They say their businesses took a huge hit when they started the indoor ban on smoking and to them, vaping was the answer- no loss of business, no customers standing outside, etc. No second hand smoke drama, and I thought that was the big issue with non-smokers.

Unfortunately my state has an indoor ban on vaping. And if you aren't careful and aren't active, this could happen in your state.

I don't think the act of vaping bothers anyone, maybe a very small minority. And I think a very small minority of vapors are the type people are talking about. But non-smokers hate smoking period. Hate it. Don't care if it's smoking or vaping- don't want to see it. But we care. People's lives and health are at stake. I'm approached all the time from smokers or people who have family members that smoke and can't quit. They're the people I care about.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
What do these people have in common?
Business owners
Bouncers
Parents
Adults
Taxpayers

They are all over ruled by busy body Nannyisms.

I say we get busy and NANNYISM right back.
Fight for our rights.
The right to set my rules in my own business.
The right to bounce rude obnoxious people from my establishment. This means you too, nose-body.
The right to set the rules in my own home for my own kids.
The right to set the rules for my own life and home.
The right to a fair and just voting system in my own town. Hidden agendas are not in my best interest.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
Simple reason ................ NON SMOKERS complain about it, and why shouldn't they if it bothers them?

Just because I like vaping doesn't mean that the Mormon Bishop living next door does.

and yes, I live next door to a Mormon Bishop

he doesn't like coffee either :) don't let your coffee steam escape :)

obviously, I'm playing,,,,,,,,,,but in your own house and on your own property,,,,,,,I wouldn't worry too much about the man next door :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have good friends that own two very successful restaurants and a sports bar. They would love for people to be able to vape in their bars. (BTW, they are non-smokers). They say their businesses took a huge hit when they started the indoor ban on smoking and to them, vaping was the answer- no loss of business, no customers standing outside, etc. No second hand smoke drama, and I thought that was the big issue with non-smokers.

Unfortunately my state has an indoor ban on vaping. And if you aren't careful and aren't active, this could happen in your state.

This is what really burns me about the politics of vaping. There is no scientific evidence that points to vaping being a health risk for vapers or non-vapers. There is growing scientific evidence supporting vaping being safe for vapers and much safer than smoking. Yet politicians have passed laws that make it illegal for businesses to allow vaping on their property if they chose to do so.

This is why I support CASAA. There are only 7,400 active CASAA members, which I also don't get. ECF alone has over 21,000 active members. IMO CASAA is the best deal we have going to help us organize and do something real, something that we know works, to fight the ignorance about vaping.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Anyone else see all of the restaurants, colleges, stores, etc. banning e-cigs? I'm sure you have, it's all over the news.

I think there are two reasons for all of these bans:

1. Misinformation - there's a TON of misinformation about e-cigs out there. They're new and people who know nothing about them are afraid of them, so they just ban them. This is a given and you all know about this so I won't go into it.

2. Vapers are so blatant about vaping indoors, in public. This is the sad reason because it's our fault.

Sometimes I'll go out and see vapers just blatantly blowing big clouds of vapor indoors, drawing a ton of attention to themselves. They figure because it's not smoke, it's just vapor, it's ok. It's not ok because it's offensive to non-smokers, and we've all been conditioned to avoid clouds of smoke because of the toxic crap it has in it. Of course we know 2nd hand vapor is harmless, but others don't know that.

The solution is not to vape indoors in public, or if we must, to stealth vape. I've become good at this over the years to the point that people don't even know I'm vaping if I do so indoors. Discreetly bring my e-cig to my lips, take a drag, hold it in for a while, then just blow whatever vapor remains (which is very little if any if I hold it in long enough) down my chest so no one sees a cloud.

How can we prevent new vapers from drawing this bad attention to our community? Ideas?

I'm just curious... how many vapers do you come across on a daily basis? The only vapers I run into are the ones at the B&M when I go get my juice, otherwise I haven't seen one in the wild yet (much less blatantly blowing clouds of vapor in public).

I vape in my car, in the stores' parking lots as I'm walking in, and have not been approached by anyone nor been given the "evil eye."

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The squeaky wheel gets the grease! If we don't squeak, we are going to be stuck in the smoker's corner forever. I started vaping because I was sick of smelling like smoke. I refuse to be subjected to it again. I am NOT SMOKING!
This is the correct answer.

I really don't expect that the public will ever accept vaping indoors, except maybe at bars and nightclubs.
But any and all blanket attempts to lump vaping in with smoking restrictions need to be fought.

The baseball stadium here (Petco Park) treats vaping exactly like smoking.
And that means you are supposed to leave the entire ballpark to vape.

That's ridiculous and this kind of thing needs to stop.
And we have to be the ones to stop it.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This is what really burns me about the politics of vaping. There is no scientific evidence that points to vaping being a health risk for vapers or non-vapers. There is growing scientific evidence supporting vaping being safe for vapers and much safer than smoking. Yet politicians have passed laws that make it illegal for businesses to allow vaping on their property if they chose to do so.

This is why I support CASAA. There are only 7,400 active CASAA members, which I also don't get. ECF alone has over 21,000 active members. IMO CASAA is the best deal we have going to help us organize and do something real, something that we know works, to fight the ignorance about vaping.
And here is how you join CASAA...
Become a CASAA Member

It takes about 60 seconds.
:)

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
Anyone else see all of the restaurants, colleges, stores, etc. banning e-cigs? I'm sure you have, it's all over the news.

I think there are two reasons for all of these bans:

1. Misinformation - there's a TON of misinformation about e-cigs out there. They're new and people who know nothing about them are afraid of them, so they just ban them. This is a given and you all know about this so I won't go into it.

2. Vapers are so blatant about vaping indoors, in public. This is the sad reason because it's our fault.

Sometimes I'll go out and see vapers just blatantly blowing big clouds of vapor indoors, drawing a ton of attention to themselves. They figure because it's not smoke, it's just vapor, it's ok. It's not ok because it's offensive to non-smokers, and we've all been conditioned to avoid clouds of smoke because of the toxic crap it has in it. Of course we know 2nd hand vapor is harmless, but others don't know that.

The solution is not to vape indoors in public, or if we must, to stealth vape. I've become good at this over the years to the point that people don't even know I'm vaping if I do so indoors. Discreetly bring my e-cig to my lips, take a drag, hold it in for a while, then just blow whatever vapor remains (which is very little if any if I hold it in long enough) down my chest so no one sees a cloud.

How can we prevent new vapers from drawing this bad attention to our community? Ideas?

None of those reasons are really why places ban vaping. there is really only one reason.
FEAR!!!!
It looks like second hand smoke, it must be second hand smoke.
BAN it now!! Period.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Anyone remember the poll from eatocracy.cnn.com, Should e-cigarettes be banned from restaurants? Just had a look at the results again and they continue to surprise me:

I'm fine with it at the table 59.03% (19,417 votes)
No one should smoke anything, at all, anywhere that food is served 23.56% (7,749 votes)
They should go outside 7.96% (2,618 votes)
People should be able to smoke regular cigarettes at the table 4.42% (1,453 votes)
E-cigarette smokers should have their own section 4.31% (1,417 votes)
Other (please share below) 1% (242 votes)

A problem with the poll, or are people really this accepting of vaping? It is from CNN. I would think they are smart enough to make the web interface reasonably tamper-proof.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Anyone remember the poll from eatocracy.cnn.com, Should e-cigarettes be banned from restaurants? Just had a look at the results again and they continue to surprise me:

No one should smoke anything, at all, anywhere that food is served 23.56% (7,749 votes)
People should be able to smoke regular cigarettes at the table 4.42% (1,453 votes)

A problem with the poll, or are people really this accepting of vaping? It is from CNN. I would think they are smart enough to make the web interface reasonably tamper-proof.

They would been even more accepting I think, if the poll had not wrongly referred us as smoking. It isnt smoke, nothing combusts. Even though the poll is favorable, this is an excellent illustration of the type of misinformation were fighting on a daily basis even from people with a cursory knowledge of vaping.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL

well,,,,,,one problem with that poll is that some of us discovered you could vote more than once :D

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I would vote for vaping sections with proper ventilation, which all businesses should have in place anyway, but few do. Not only would I feel comfortable but I know the others sitting around me feel comfortable, and it might lead to friendships and community fellowship again. Wow, it's been a long time since people were allowed to be people...

Short answer. You cant. You have no right to make personal decisions for the rest of us.

You may see it as bad attention but others of us know that if we let them lump us in with smokers, if we willingly let them relegate us to the same dark, smelly, and ever-shrinking corner, then it should come as no surprise when we are treated JUST LIKE SMOKERS.

Theres no need to hide it, you arent doing anything wrong.In fact your doing something thats a positive step in the right direction so why act like youre doing something wrong? Imo THAT helps spread misinformation much more than vaping in the open and answering peoples question with an intelligent answer.

You could be doing something as innocent as eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but if I saw you slinking into a dark corner to eat it, all hunched over with your back turned to me and trying be stealthy about it, I would mistrust that too.

Two sides to every coin, and more often than than not the truth usually lies firmly in the middle of two extremes.

Right, the truth is between the extremes of blowing huge clouds into people's faces and slyly sitting in the corner like a drug addict.

The middle is: don't draw attention to it, but do it stealthily. Don't act like you're hiding something, but don't be flagrant about it. It's what I do. No one even knows I'm vaping, but I'm not necessarily trying to hide it like it's a drug needle or something.

I vape outdoors and in smoking sections by blowing clouds of vapor and am always happy to answer questions.

Responding to someone angrily asking you what the heck you're doing blowing smoke indoors is not the best case scenario. Do it inside if you must, but be respectful and stealthy without acting like a druggie. Be obvious about it outside or wherever smoking is allowed.

Ideally yes, we'd be allowed to vape obviously indoors because it truly is harmless to bystanders. However, it's just not a realistic goal since vapor looks just like cigarette smoke.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
well,,,,,,one problem with that poll is that some of us discovered you could vote more than once :D

Yup, that's the kind of thing I thought might be happening. This could of course be used by both sides to skew the results. I tried to vote again today, but it still remembered I had voted a while back. Certainly takes credibility from the numbers.

Shopan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Thebestcityintheworld,USA
WHile I agree that WE all need to Put Our Stories out in the Ether and Contact Our Representatives on Every Level. I will Not Say that Vaping In Public is a Bad thing...Now I am Not advocating Blowing Clouds for show But while shopping I Vape and Do not care who sees what I am Doing...If you want to abide by the Smokers Rules So be it, but I will not be Treated like one...

CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread