ETA on next batch of AVS's??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Umm...mine broke! I'm in desperate need of a replacement soon! The set of threads that connect the main tank to the collection tank stripped and collapsed. Tried lube, etc...couldn't get it loose..finally gave up and got in the vice, but of course the vice warped it and not even the collection piece will screw back on now..total history. Not at all sure why it happened...I understand threading and am very careful with mine, but it stripped anyway. So now I'm back to dripping and there are lots of drivers swerving in the road!! Please tell me there will be more in stock soon!!

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Good to know Imeo, I'll wait on the aluminum ones then. BTW...I have never put a drop of vaseline or any other lube on any threads of any GG product that I own and never had a problem till now and I still don't know why it happened. I did try vaseline on an o-ring once, but it was such a mess I cleaned it off before I ever put it back together. I used to build glass chandeliers with cut glass threading...I'm VERY conscious of thread stress and I know I didn't force the threads in any way. I just did my normal morning fill up routine, which worked fine. Then around lunchtime I was going to refill and clear the collection tank and couldn't get it apart. I always remove the batteries to reduce stress on the post, I always remove both top caps separately and I always make sure the CR is closed first. I make sure I'm not "double" torquing the threads. And I repeat...I use my GG hard and many, many long hours and have never had this problem. It is a write-off now though...I just want a new setup, before my gf locks me up in shop...LOL!

JohnUK

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2010
UK
This post is not directed at anyone,it's just info :D

freezing or lock up is a result of un-lubed threads,its called galling and can kinda cold weld two parts together especially SS,Alu and titanium,it occurs when two parts are twisted together,there will be high spots that can lock into other high spots on the opposing part,causing galling,freeze up or simple put cold welding,I think it's caused by a combination of heat,pressure and high spots in the threading,sometimes unavoidable if no lube is used.

You may twist on and of many times thinking all is well and it doesn't require lubing but this is a false sense of security because galling can take time....then hello! I can't undo this thing...what has happened? well to answer you've just helped weld your parts together....pat yourself on the back and congrat yourself...you've now leaned the basics of welding :lol:

So please lube your threads,you don't have to use vasiline if you find it messy, food safe mineral oil will work also and help prevent cold welding of your precious GG's :D

Last edited:

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Thx Imeo! I'm not complaining...I've probably put my AVS through the equivalent of 2yrs average use in just a few months...really! I've already written it off as "Stuff Happens"....right now though I just need to get back on track and get a new setup! I will reconsider the vaseline..but in my experience and environment it's just a dust and dirt magnet and that really does gum up the threads...I try and keep mine very clean and debris-free. Also is there any chance these CT's you're sending will have the knurled control rings? And are you sending any aluminum AVS tanks? or just the nickel-plated? I'm not really interested in the nickel at all..and want to keep the look of my aluminum/brass setup.

Ohh..and after reading more..is the AVS tank now for 510?? Are you going to make any more 901 AVS tanks? That's what I need...maybe a longer wait than I thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread