Etiquette, like with cigarettes but Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckq4yoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2012
Artesia, CA
Hello all,
I just had a question that maybe other people might relate to:
Does anyone that vape tend to do the same as they would when he/she used to smoke cigarettes(if you have)?

when I go out for a e-Stog, for example when I'm out in public places, I tend to stay away from people when I let smoke out...

TheDarthVap3r

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2012
uk
Hopefully, there will be a day in the future when most vapers
will not be worried about what the "easily offended" might think or say.

One thing is for sure ... the "easily offended" couldn't care less
what we think or might say about them.

Food for thought

i do hope that to be true. hell for all i know it might be the case already. but ive never seen anyone else vaping, not one. so i dont do it in public either. mixture of embarrassment and feeling im doing something wrong lol.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Age sometimes is a factor for not openly vaping in pulbic
I'm not patting myself on the back here ... just pointing out
there are personal variables involved. We are all the same but some are different.

I'm over 60 with a Type-A personality, Survived Viet-Nam
Couldn't care less about what strangers and the "easily offended"
might think or say ... and that includes all the "Nanny State" lovers.

I'm not the angry type looking for trouble ... but just couldn't care less
what stranger might think or say ... Guess "they" pick-up on that with my body language
because I don't act any different vaping in public than if I were chewing gum.

In 4 years of openly vaping in public ... NO ONE has ever approached me
telling me they disapprove ... Guess they can read my body language
sensing I couldn't care less what they think !!!

I have had friendly people approach me inquiring about e-smoking
and have converted countless smokers.

We are all the same ... but some are different.
If you don't feel comfortable openly vaping in public ...
Don't ... That's OK
:)

caitlin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Allentown, PA, USA
i tend to still behave the same... stand a few feet away, etc. but not so much because i care what someone will think as common courtesy ... i absolutely hate when someone sprays perfume near me even if i like it, so i try not to force them to smell my vape.

on the other hand, i let my kid sit on my lap when im vaping, which i never did when smoking. so im calming down ;)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I guess you could say that I kind of vape like I smoked in that I blow the vape away from people. That's kind of common sense. If I wasn't vaping or smoking, would I blow my air at someone? No. On the other hand, if I am sitting and people are sitting next to me, when I smoked, I would tilt my head back and blow the smoke straight up. With vaping I blow it straight forward now. When sitting at the table in our favorite bar/Restaraunt I blow the vape downward towards my lap. While vaping inside, other than my home, I generally don't make clouds of vapor. Just enough for me to get some satisfaction. There have been times where I just want to do tons of vapor :) I will step outside for that.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Hopefully, there will be a day in the future when most vapers
will not be worried about what the "easily offended" might think or say.

One thing is for sure ... the "easily offended" couldn't care less
what we think or might say about them.

Food for thought

I look forward to the day we wont have to call them "easily offended" :) for worry of them getting offended.
I usually just call them as...les...nope not gonna say it :)

Last edited:

Cogger

Dec 30, 2012
Buffalo, NY
In all honesty, I vape absolutely everywhere. Malls, at work, at restaurants, you name it. Most of the time people either;
a) Know what it is and ask "wow what kind of ecig is that?!" (reason being we have a local vape shop here)
b) Ask to try it if they don't know what it is
or
c) Stare in amazement

I've never once been asked to not vape. I know they have a vaping ban in the one mall in my area, but they have one of those junk ecig stands there so I tend to do it anyways. Never had a problem.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
In all honesty, I vape absolutely everywhere. Malls, at work, at restaurants, you name it. Most of the time people either;
a) Know what it is and ask "wow what kind of ecig is that?!" (reason being we have a local vape shop here)
or
c) Stare in amazement

I've never once been asked to not vape. I know they have a vaping ban in the one mall in my area, but they have one of those junk ecig stands there so I tend to do it anyways. Never had a problem.
Thanks for sharing !! :toast:
I've been vaping everywhere for 4 years
and I also have never been asked not to vape

DeathsMistress

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
jeneefowler.com
I vape everywhere. I'm use to people staring at me because I dress funny, have funny hair and lots of tattoos (I'm a tattoo artist, go figure). Now people can stop asking my about my hair (I'm not rebelling, I'm 27 and I like bright colors) and ask me about vaping. We have converted most of our social group to vaping and countless others. I even started a blog about it because of how many questions I have to answer on a regular basis. Now I write down the link for them and they can get a good start with some helpful links (including ecf). I kind of hope people will ask me usually because the more people that know, the more that can kick the nasty habit of smoking.

Fatboy 589

ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2012
Florida
When I'm with friends who are all vaping and we're outdoors, we just vape carelessly. If I'm in a department store, a coffee shop (Starbucks is always funny about their policy with no vaping), or a restaurant, I try to avoid doing it around young children. I simply try to be polite as I possibly can. Being a gun nut and a hardcore Christian, there's always people giving one or the other a super bad name by rubbing it in peoples faces or exercising gun rights or religious freedoms by being outlandish and downright rude with it. So if I'm asked to stop, I simply stop. Or, I'll just ask an employee or manager if one is present. Gotta be cool with everyone.

Although my favorite is when people stop and ask if I have an ecig (sigelei's aren't small, they get some funny looks ;) ), what flavor I have, where I got it, stuff like that. It's a good feeling being able to see so many people not only using them, but wanting more information about them. Really love it.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
or
c) Stare in amazement

People look at me funny when I vape in restaurants.

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
I vape in most places now. I just don't make a big show of it. (But nor do I jump through hoops to hide it). I've never been asked not to.

If I am in a restaurant, I tend to direct the vapour down. I tend to think it is not necessarily the restaurant owner that will have a problem, but possibly fellow diners, who could then cause a problem for the owner. Discretion is the better part of valour, in my opinion.

Deamon L. Scaduz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
Shadows of Sin City
zenshadow.com
I vape almost everywhere, the only place I don't is my sons school. Other than that I just vape away. As far as where to blow it, I run into this issue, where if I try to blow it away it lingers long enough to go in peoples face anyways. Nothing I can do about air currents.

Personally I have no shame with vaping. My girlfriend thinks I vape to much, but I think she just doesn't understand. And I could honestly care less what nay sayers think. Although I am always willing to help out people who want to make the switch and send them in the right direction.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I vape almost everywhere, the only place I don't is my sons school. Other than that I just vape away. As far as where to blow it, I run into this issue, where if I try to blow it away it lingers long enough to go in peoples face anyways. Nothing I can do about air currents.

Personally I have no shame with vaping. My girlfriend thinks I vape to much, but I think she just doesn't understand. And I could honestly care less what nay sayers think. Although I am always willing to help out people who want to make the switch and send them in the right direction.
Good for you !!!
:thumbs:

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
I'm in the vape everywhere category. The only time I don't vape in public I'm with my wife and then only because she asked me not too because she's concerned it may cause a scene. But when she isn't around I vape wherever I please. I've never been asked to not vape anywhere--though I typically stealth vape in retail stores (does not include my B&M vape shop-everyone vapes there quite openly). Mostly because I don't want to hear crap from yentas who should be minding their own business--but yentas never do.

In fact the only place I've been told I cannot vape is on the line at work, mostly due to sanitation concerns. Though I do vape in the walk in cooler, the store room, the office, and well just about everywhere else.

As to exhaling, I generally do not exhale in people's faces, I consider that to be rude. Otherwise I don't really follow any special forms of etiquette or anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread