Etiquette, like with cigarettes but Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I was always careful about smoking. I probably was one of the only smoker ever to have been thanked (not sarcastically either) by passing mothers when smoking out doors because I would move my cig away and wave the smoke away with my other hand if I could not move away.

Now I know the harm to others is not proven or possibly even existent in vaping, especially considering stealth vaping, but I still act the same. I try and be considerate of others because that's the way I was raised, now I do vape more freely and openly then I smoked and I do vape in restaurants and bats where I could not smoke, but I keep the vapor exhale subtle. It does not hide what I'm doing but it does show that its different. I've never been asked to stop even when taking a hit of my PV right in front of waiters and other staff. I'm just very against the idea of the attitude of "it's not smoke so you can't stop me". That will just snap bans down on us like steel traps. Basic respect is has nothing to do with vaping or smoking, it's just the right thing to do.

woofpuppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
www.youtube.com
It really depends on the situation. I don't go outside because I'm not smoking, I'm vaping, and it's not harmful to others. That said, I don't do it in movie theaters or restaurants because the public is not educated and I don't want to deal with a situation...I go to the lobby, a hallway or a restroom. The only time I won't take it out period is if there are a lot of children around. My ecig is the same size & similar look as an analogue, and a child isn't going to discern the difference. I don't want to encourage the kids in my family to smoke.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Age sometimes is a factor for not openly vaping in pulbic
I'm not patting myself on the back here ... just pointing out
there are personal variables involved. We are all the same but some are different.

I'm over 60 with a Type-A personality, Survived Viet-Nam
Couldn't care less about what strangers and the "easily offended"
might think or say ... and that includes all the "Nanny State" lovers.

I'm not the angry type looking for trouble ... but just couldn't care less
what stranger might think or say ... Guess "they" pick-up on that with my body language
because I don't act any different vaping in public than if I were chewing gum.

In 4 years of openly vaping in public ... NO ONE has ever approached me
telling me they disapprove ... Guess they can read my body language
sensing I couldn't care less what they think !!!

I have had friendly people approach me inquiring about e-smoking
and have converted countless smokers.

We are all the same ... but some are different.
If you don't feel comfortable openly vaping in public ...
Don't ... That's OK
:)

I applaud your stance and by the way you describe it, you are usually just there doing your own thing.

I have a question for you. If someone was already occupying a space where you decide to vape, being there first, they politely ask you to please stop, would you? Or if you were at a bus stop, and a mother and child came and sat on the bench next to you, would you either politely move and vape, or stop vaping in the child's presence?

The rest of this does not pertain to the quoted text:
Although Vaping in public is not illegal, there should be an exercise in discretion and the use of common sense and a degree of common courtesy. In a movie theater, a plume of smoke is very distracting and rude to the patrons around the vaper. How many people thought it would be a good idea to vape all through Iron Man 3 on opening night? I also believe that vaping in a restaurant is bad etiquette as well. A nice plume of smoke that wafts over and onto someone else's food is not exactly appetizing is it? But I also guess it would depend on the restaurant. I guess if I was at a Hooters or a sports bar and grill, and large clouds of vapors are floating around, it is more forgivable than the same thing happening at Mastros. And I would assume that most if not all of us would feel that it would be in bad taste to vape at a Chuck E Cheese?

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I have a question for you. If someone was already occupying a space where you decide to vape, being there first, they politely ask you to please stop, would you? Or if you were at a bus stop, and a mother and child came and sat on the bench next to you, would you either politely move and vape, or stop vaping in the child's presence?
I exercise "Common Sense" ...
If a mother would say or even imply by words or actions ...
she's not comfortable with vaping around her child...I would immediately stop.
However, this has never happened and probably because if I'm close to a child...
I don't blow vapor clouds...or even stealth vape. When I smoked...I didn't smoke
around children either.

I vape anywhere I please ...
That doesn't mean I am not conscious of my surroundings
and not respectful of mothers with children.

RelativeBewt

DripLife
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Paducah, Kentucky
just because of what people might think if i was to vape indoors at a public place i tend to "ninja-vape" or just go outside for a second. i dont want to turn ppl off to it so i pretty much treat it like an analog cig. i want the opportunity to talk to people about it so i definately vape in public but i keep it outside.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Upon further reading and contemplation, I agree, that ninja vaping is the best solution.

Not if we want the public at large to be educated to the safety and effectiveness of vaping. If we don't vape openly just about everywhere but respectfully and take every opportunity to explain why it is safe, then the ANTZ's who are working hard to ban vaping everywhere will win this fight.

Join and support CASAA or watch the right to vape be taken away EVERYWHERE.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I just used what I consider good manners (consideration of others) this morning. I was in a hospital waiting room with another woman. We were both waiting for our husband's three-hour procedures to be completed. I had been about two hours without a vape and had just had something to eat.... screaming for a vape. I pulled out my cigalike and asked her if she knew what it was. She didn't and I said it was an ecig that didn't produce any smoke... just vapor... and wouldn't harm her. Then I asked if she minded if I used it. She said to go right ahead and I did but moved across the room from her. I told her if she smelled pecan rolls it was the vapor and she said she hoped she did because she loved them. I doubt I would have vaped had there been more people there but it was just the two of us and we had been talking a bit and went to buy coffee together. She did say that she had never smoked and her son was a doc in Australia and she would sure tell him about my ecig and how she wouldn't even know I used it if she had been turned around and I hadn't told her.

Edit: Oh, she loved the light on the end of my cigalike... its purple.

Last edited:

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I really think it's an exercise in judging our circumstances.

If you're at some bar and everybody is just having a good time. Ask the manager or bartender first and have at it if it's given the okay.
If you're in some baby store with kids and expectant mother's, probably better to not.

We should not be ashamed of what we are doing. We are doing something that is NOT harmful to others and a heck of a lot better for us. Standing up and not being afraid of the nanny brigade is one of the great things about vaping. So long as we don't act like complete disrespectful jerks I think we will be fine.

I am against any law, that will ban vaping in places. I respect every property owners right to say "no" though.

cowboy6591

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Liberty, TN
Hello all,
I just had a question that maybe other people might relate to:
Does anyone that vape tend to do the same as they would when he/she used to smoke cigarettes(if you have)?

when I go out for a e-Stog, for example when I'm out in public places, I tend to stay away from people when I let smoke out...

I use the same caution , but if I am alone all depravation bets are off, VAPE ON!!!

I find myself vaping the same as how I did when i was smoking...I guess old habits die hard... But my wife and family approve, so i do vape in my home and when visiting my parents and such... I havent vaped in any restaurants yet (never had the craving to)... Even when i visit a vapor B&M store, I dont vape unless I'm trying samples... My wife give me the funny nag of "Why are you going outside to vape?" I reply "Because I WANT to go outside!" LOL

Ive had smokers and non smokers who see me vape and they like it...Luckily no one has given me a bad rap about doing it except one person... I was hanging out with some fellow "smoke-workers" at the smoke area and a guy was walking across the street and he saw us and did the whole "Hack Hack Cough Cough" routine... I look at him surprised and said "Well my grandfather lived to be 103..." He replied "From smoking?" I said " No, from minding his own DAMN business!"

I vape in my office .... still waiting to explain it when someone walks in... (i work a hospital) In all I vape the same as I smoke but with more access and freedom... I just use common courtesy... I dont vape in people's faces unless they want to guess what flavor i have... I dont vape when holding my children or around other people's kids... My 6yr old tells other kids that I'm part dragon, and begs me to do french inhales infront of her and her friends (kinda like how our parents and grandparents did us if they smoked)

Last edited:

Paranorm

Jan 19, 2010
Portland, OR
I kinda look forward to vaping in public. I still blow the vapor away from people, it seems like an invasion of their personal space to fill their air with it. I do like answering their questions, the more people know about it, the less of a big deal it becomes in the public eye. I only bother going ninja in movie theaters, I don't want to disrupt the people behind me by blocking their view. :)

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Depends on who I'm with and where and what mood I'm in. I've pulled it out and hit on it to get good full vapor and blown right in a face a few times looking them straight in the eye with a "what can you do with that" kinda of look, smiling happily of course because I KNOW it's just vapor and harmless and don't feel bad about it. They know I'm saying they own the problem IF it bothers them. They are aqua trances I see on a regular basis and know me. I wouldn't beer doing that wit a stranger. That would be weird. And I don't vape in a Restaraunt or grocery store or clothing etc....but hardware, lumber, salvation army, feed store etc....sometimes if I'm there too long. In someone else's car? I did until I found out the person was very offended later so now I ask.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I just try not to rub it in peoples faces. In Southern California there are a ton of people vaping. I still wouldnt smoke at a restruant or anything like that because it just doesnt feel right to me.

You still think of it as smoking, and you still call it smoking. There is no smoke, and it isn't smoking. It doesn't have the stench of a cig, which keeps most of the anti-smokers from .....ing. I vape pretty much wherever, and nobody ever complains.

California, though, I have no idea what to expect. People are nuts there. Smoke a cig, they want to lock you up, but they seem to encourage smoking "other" stuff. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread