Etsy closing vaping supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
Etsy has been the go-to place for all things vaping over the last few years with the bans at Ebay and Amazon. Drip tips, carriers, holders, landyards, charms, even some Altoid mods and at one time, small eliquid mixers. Cottage crafts. No payment hassles.

I don't get it, I have purchased most of my vaping stuff from eBay other than juice.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I don't get it, I have purchased most of my vaping stuff from eBay other than juice.

The stuff found on Ebay is fairly recent (< 6 mths). At one time there was nothing outside of the category of "dry herb atomizer".

This isn't a debate about the value of Etsy. Maybe you should look at the site before critiquing?

Just know that for many it's the place to go and hasn't ever clamped down on vaping supplies as long as they weren't mass-produced chinese types. The site catered more towards those looking for Ooak products. I shop there A LOT.

Last edited:

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
This isn't a debate about the value of Etsy. Maybe you should look at the site before critiquing?

I don't remember critiquing them, just said I never heard of them. If they are not selling vape stuff I can't see any reason to look :).

I was checking the racking of an order on dhgate site this morn and read that that DHL will no longer ship any vape stuff.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I don't remember critiquing them, just said I never heard of them. If they are not selling vape stuff I can't see any reason to look :).

I was checking the racking of an order on dhgate site this morn and read that that DHL will no longer ship any vape stuff.

They sell vape stuff or I wouldn't have posted here.
DHL stopped shipping lithium batteries awhile ago.
A lot of coops ship using DHL. That would affect a lot more than dhlgate.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Operation choke point at its finest.

Thank you ,

The Obama Administration

:facepalm::vapor:

There's no evidence of "Choke Point" here. It seems to me it's an arbitrary and unilateral business decision made by Etsy, similar to that made by ebay and Paypal, possibly motivated by liability coverage, or ANTZ pressure.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I did a search for "cigar" on Etsy and found that they sell humidors, cigar cutters, personalized cigar wraps, and other stuff dedicated to cigar smoking. I find it curious that they consider drip tips to be drug paraphernalia but not this other stuff that they're still selling. It seems like a double standard to me.

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
They sell vape stuff or I wouldn't have posted here.
DHL stopped shipping lithium batteries awhile ago.
A lot of coops ship using DHL. That would affect a lot more than dhlgate.

I will look later but I believe the notice said "any ecig related stuff". This was in regards to a few boxes of Kangertech coils I purchased.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
You can't own them. I own another half or more. We could compare billings LOL!

A lot of the sellers were part time with day jobs. This is going to be a severe blow because they can't afford websites and payment processing. It's definatly going to eliminate some from even trying to see a mod holder idea or drip tip or lanyard they made. I did find a couple of shops on Facebook, but that's awkward and I suspect time is limited there too. One glass artist doesn't seem to be doing drip tips much at all anymore. It's sad.

I also don't like the policy it sets.

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
I did a search for "cigar" on Etsy and found that they sell humidors, cigar cutters, personalized cigar wraps, and other stuff dedicated to cigar smoking. I find it curious that they consider drip tips to be drug paraphernalia but not this other stuff that they're still selling. It seems like a double standard to me.

Yeah, but they also allow the sale of a lot of vaping accessories too. I did a search and found at least hundreds of listings for cases, holders, stands, displays, charms, lanyards, etc.

The notice pretty obviously is related to the devices themselves and the juice, which is likely more of a liability issue they are concerned with. Not saying it's right, but the top three prohibited items for sale are:

Alcohol
Tobacco and other smokeable products
Drugs, drug paraphernalia

...so I can't say I'm surprised.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.

You can thank the idiots who are using e-cigs for purposes other than intended for that one.

I ran into one of these people a few weeks ago, using illegal drugs at a bar no less, and gave him an ... chewing and a piece of my mind he will NEVER forget.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
These are drip tips and mod holders and stands, etc. Not juice and devices. There were no chinese manufacturers on Etsy anyway since it's specialty is hand crafted items. The weekend warrier with a workshop. What's left over sounds like it's on borrowed time. They nailed some of the bigger shops first. Like Ebay, they don't seem to be targeting "dry herb" use - and it's not illegal everywhere anymore.

But it seems like waiting for ecig / vaping supplies to be regulated or made illegal requires too much patience? That's what ticks me off. Nothing is said about cigars or pipes or ashtrays or cigarette cases .... Those should have even narrower perimeters if they are going down that road. This is applied extremely unevenly in comparison to other products. They didn't bother changing TOS, just redefined vaping to fit existing policy when there's little relationship other than phony bad press. I can't even blame FDA / CDC for putting pressure on the site to do it.

Maybe a lot of people are not aware of how and why Etsy came into being. The site developed from a group of crafters and handmade artisians as a result from conflicts with Ebay that devalued their products and wanted them to compete on the same level as mass-produced cheap Chinese goods.

The history of Etsy is firmly rooted in rebellion and celebrating the independent spirit. I think that's why this is so .... what's the word I'm looking for? It just violates everything they've stood for since the beginning of the site.

Etsy's growth exceeded all imagination from the day they opened and became a symbol of "FU Ebay" to hand crafters, fringe groups, anything outside of the norm, the little guy.

I know good and well that if a site were developed specifically for vaping, it would soar.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Yeah, but they also allow the sale of a lot of vaping accessories too. I did a search and found at least hundreds of listings for cases, holders, stands, displays, charms, lanyards, etc.

The notice pretty obviously is related to the devices themselves and the juice, which is likely more of a liability issue they are concerned with. Not saying it's right, but the top three prohibited items for sale are:

Alcohol
Tobacco and other smokeable products
Drugs, drug paraphernalia

...so I can't say I'm surprised.

That wasn't my take on it at all. It included a specific, yet generalized, clause citing "...electronic cigarettes and "accessories used for inhaling electronic cigarettes." Rhonda sold one thing and one thing only on her etsy site: drip tips. Hand crafted one of a kind drip tips. She was a big 'out there' seller as last I looked she had over 150 listings - all for a very specific vaping related item and not a single e-cig or bottle of e-liquids in sight. It is not just about 'devices themselves' as you claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread