EUREKA! No-Battery sacrifice adapter for 801 Penstyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
Another forum member was talking about not being able to look at objects without thinking about how to mod them... well I've been eyeing a panel-mounted phone jack in my work elevator for about 3 weeks, but keep forgetting my pen-style to check it.

Today I made a trip to Radio-Shack.. and VIOLA! It's a PERFECT fit and no drilling necessary.

The first pick is of the connector screwed onto the end of my 801 atomizer.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 879
Last edited:

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
There are terminal connectors to the outer, you'll have DIY the inner terminal with a brass screw and some heat-resistant vinyl tubing. It's pretty easy, just follow Maddog's tire-chuck method.

I've done some playing already and ground down the furtherest outer ring (the one with the hook on it) and all of the inner rings and insulators pry off easily. The only problem is that you'd need to re-flare the housing to keep the last ring from falling off after grinding. I've already toasted one connector by brute-forcing a flare with a hammer, bad idea. Connector is brass and distorts easily, so either a flare-tool or some solder to hold that ring on.

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
LOL, Ainako.. thanks for the sentiment but I'm a female "tinker":shock:.

It's very similar to modding a tire chuck for a 901 mod. You'll need either thicker tubing or a bigger screw. I used a bigger screw. I've got a lot of misc. junk lying about, so I can't tell you exactly what size it is, best guess would be a #12, and I cut a slot since it was blunt on both ends.

I included pics below of the final product. If you've access to a bench grinder, a dremel and a soldering iron it's a cinch.

I love you Ripley, seriously I got a lot of bro-mance for you. So in order to make them useful for mods all we have to do is follow the method that madog displays on his video?

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 463

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
Don't worry bro-mance isn't gender specific, my meaning is just a strong sense of comradery. Now I am really glad I bought that dremel-like tool from northern industrial (impulse buy caused by boredom). I was thinking that going the route of the thicker tubing instead of the bigger screw would be better in terms of not shorting out the connection. Now sure if this makes sense as my knowledge and skills of electric works is limited to what I learned from the modder of this forum. Do you think 1/4" OD tubing, as used for the tire valve 901 mod, would be too small for this application?

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
All I can say is take your mod with you to the hardware store :).

I use drip-style irrigation tubing (because it's what I have). I just saw a mod by BJ43 who's used silicone. I went with a bigger screw b/c the tubing fit but slipped, the bigger screw stretched out the tubing just enough to make it a tight fit.

Check your part for shorts before connecting anything to make sure that the center pin is not touching the outer casing. Set your volt-meter on OHMs, touch your leads together and make sure the needle moves. Now check your "chuck", center pin and outer casing.. the needle should NOT move.

It's a good idea to do this again once you've got it all soldered-up as well.

TommyGunBC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver B.c.
LOL Bro-Mance , someone has been watching late night with Jimmy Fallon , so what is your opinion of the show so far ? I think Jimmy isn't too good as a talk show host even though I liked him on SNL . But apparently Conan started slow too so wait and see if Jimmy gets better but come on Lick it for $10 is pretty LAME!!!

on a side not someone please make a magnum mod or something similar for the 801 just got one and it has the new electromagnetic batteries and they are crappy !!

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
I got Bro-mance from Scrubs, I'm not a Jimmy Fallon fan, not even in his SNL days. I'm awaiting my LED torches from dealextreme to magnumify them. I also ordered a multimeter and a 150mm digital caliper, I figure they would be helpful for something. Also the magnum mod is not that hard to do, go check out the video and see for yourself.

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
Just picked up a couple of these today, its amazing how well they fit. Had a little trouble prying off all the rings and ruined the flange a bit. But I think its ok as I'm not really saving any of the rings. I watched madogs tire valve video and noticed that he drills holes for better flow that would equal an easier draw. So I got to thinking that if I can source some brass tubing and use that instead of the screw, and insulate with silicone glue instead of tubing (I imagine that it would be hard to push the brass tubing through the insulator tubing). This would eliminate the need to drill the hole as it would be much closer to the design of the original fitting. The only drawback I can possibly think of is the wall thickness of the tubing and whether or not it can handle sending the current to the atomizer. If that is the case I suppose a flaring tool would be in order. So I was hoping if anybody that is more knowledgable in these type of things can tell me whether or not my idea is possible or not.

Ripley

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
Dallas Metro, TX
I originally posted about the TV coax, and all I can say is that they will do in a pinch and are FAR from a perfect fit. At best you'll get the thread to "catch". The fit and finish with this connector is perfect, you can screw it all the way to the bumper on the atomizer.

ainako:
That would have to be some really small brass tubing. I don't find airflow to be too big a problem, especially on the 4 hole 801's. The brass screws are easily found at your local hardware store.

Last edited:

ceo51378

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Annapolis MD
Ok guys... I hit up RadioShack and the hardware store today after work. First off, a big thanks to Ripley for Phone jack connector. I've been ripping out my hair trying to find a good connector. the best I could find was a coax splicer. But as Ripley posted, the Phone connector is a PERFECT fit. I picked up one of them, a switch, and 4xAAA battery box (w/a built in switch). Then I ran over to ACE hardware and grabbed a #9 x 3/4" brass screw, and a 3/16"OD nylon spacer. Thats all you need for this mod - costs about $6 per box (minus the batteries). To make the connector, I simply dremeled the "pressed" side of the Phone connector - the rest of the pieces come right off after that. The I dremeled the screw head off, soldered the postive lead to the other end of it, and slid it into the nylon spacer. After I test fitted everything will the atomizer attached, I hot glued it all in place. If you dont have a hot glue gun, super glue will work. I will post some pics tomorrow to show the end result. I have everything running off of 3x 1.2V NiMH AAA's. It's hittin great... and only took about 2 hours to get it all together. Next one will take less than 30 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread