Eventually, you'll all get screwd(river) one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
as I've been "Royal-mail"y screwed this morning, and it's been a great thing since.

I'm an owner of 3 different e-cigs. All of them were decent with each with its own strenghts and all. However, none of them satisfied me as the "go-to" unit... till I experienced Trog's Screwdriver this morning.

Units I have... RN4081 (great vapor/throat hit with USB pass-through, great dripping unit), DSE901 (the most reliable, abundant unit) and DSE801 (Great cartridge capacity with plenty of vapor) - but nothing has satisfied me like Screwdriver yet.

Here's my brief review of Trog's screwdriver.

Pros:
1. Size. Very small, despite what one might think - it's a very small unit. I can hold in my hand very comfy and it's pretty comfy to do so.

2. Battery. LIR123a. I believe it's a CR123, which is very cheap (a couple bucks) and last long time with plenty of current.

3. Switch. Very pleasant switch to deal with. Nice and easy - not too firm nor not too pushy - quite perfect.

4. Vapor production. Although I'm accustomed to USB pass-throughs, it produces just as much, if not more thanks to the manual control, warm vapor.

5. Build quality. Sturdy. No joke, no kidding.

6. Abundant atomizers (901/4075), abundant carts with low low price.

7. Throat hit. Thanks to the plenty and abundant vapor, I'm getting a great throat hit from mere 6mg nic juice. I tried out 24mg included flu-cured juice, but I think it's just way too hardcore - I think I'll use that high-nic juice for my strong nic-crave juice early in the morning.

8. And best of all.. is the consistency. Consistency of producing massive vapor, throat hit anytime, anywhere, every single time. To be honest, all of above could be had (except battery) with RN4081, DSE901, and DSE801 - but not consistently. It's the consistancy that makes SD such a winner.

Cons

1. DSE901 cart - Rather small. Since it burns a lot of juice, you'll have to top off quite often. I mean, VERY often. I'm planning to get Dura-C/Joye510 cart mod for it.

2. Price. S/H included about 165 US dollars. It's much more expensive when compared to similar or even better spec'd mod. But it was only SD when I purchased, that none of them were readily available. Luckily, SD was in stock.

3. snail mail from UK (but trust me, it's worth the wait! It took exactly 7 days to get to UK to EastCoast)

4. the looks. I personally love how it looks - but if you are very serious about the look of it, it's something awkward to carry around. However, SD is one of the better, if not best looking mods out there, IMHO.

5. extruded switch, might get pushed inside a pocket - I might make a lock for it with thin piece of plastic.

Other than those, I really have no complaints at all. A solid, solid A+ vaping machine, and I highly recommend to anyone who's looking for something that just "WORKS". Anytime, Anywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I was getting very tired of prepping my daily preps with 3 different e-cigs to satisfy my various vaping needs throughout the day. Packing USB pass throughs, charging 3 different e-cig batts, and USB power pack... refilling 3 different cartridges, etc etc. I loved doing so in the beginning, but as a month passed by, I realized I spent too much time fiddling around. Carrying too much stuff in my bag for something I "might" need.

With SD, I'm free of all that. 1 extra atomizer, 1 extra battery, and juice might be all I need to carry from now on - as it aces in every aspect in any other categories that I think it's important.

So as I said in my title... you'll all get screwed one way or another, as I do believe SD is showing the way of the future of e-cigs. All the battery mods are now becoming more popular and will be readily available like PureSmoker's excellent looking Prodigy, Janty's Janty Stick, Zi Moshi's Light Vape, Immortal GG, Mad Dog's DYI Magnum mod, and nicowolf's DYI nicobox..., the Chinese suppliers should/will notice the trend of vapers. They'll implement better battery life and hopefully as much of "consistency" as SD can provide in their future generation ecigs.

Until then, I do feel I'm done with any more purchase on e-cig hardwares, which is a relief. I could see if one likes to collect various cool gadgets, that could become another hobby... collecting various e-cigs and e-cigars. However if you are like me, an average joe who just wants something that works always like you want it to be - don't hesitate getting/building a SD or any other mod ecigs mentioned above. I wish I had known SD before buying anything else - could have saved at least good 1-200 dollars, which I could have spent on juice and extra atomizers/carts.

lachesis

Last edited:

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
As to the SD's price, which is constantly commented on here, I don't believe you can compare the SD price with a standard ecig kit price (the majority that come with one atomizer, 2 batteries and some carts), unless you factor in, from the beginning, the cost of at least four more batteries and one more atomizer. Plus, factor in the cost of a 10 ml bottle of 24mg liquid, which also comes with the SD.

For the SD comes with 2 atomizers, and 2 batteries, some carts and the liquid. But carrying those two batteries (the one you're using and one spare) is, in fact, the equivalent in capacity/life to carrying around at least 6 charged regular ecig batteries in total (the one you're using and 5 spares). So add $60 to $80 to your initial purchase price for the batteries, and another $10.00 for the atomizer. Add another $10 for the bottle of liquid, and only then can you compare the initial purchase price of the SD. So bottom line, you'd have to add $80 to $100.00 to any standard ecig kit's purchase price in order to fairly compare it to buying an SD.

As for ongoing costs, well there's just no comparison between replacing ecig batteries at $15 to $20 apiece to buying 4 SD batteries for $7.

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
I like your review. Just wanted to add my thoughts to yours:

PROS #4 - Waaaayyyy more vapor.

CONS #7 - 24 flue cured is wonderful for those of us who had smoked over a pack a day of analoges.

Other than that, What Yvilla has to say is right on/to the point too.

Regardless of our corrections/observations, it is good you are telling others of the exceptional usage of the Screwdriver.

I also believe it to be an exceptional handcrafted (not mass produced) -peice of art. Let alone it is bound to save you money over the use of analoges. And we cannot forget the simplicity of use and exceptional customer service.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Actually, the amount of vapor over single draw is similar to rn4081 + direct usb + dripping with no cartridge. However, I do tend to draw several short ones - so SD does produce MASSIVE vapor... because it's keep cooking up the juice even during the short period between my draws - and much more consistent than rn4081. :) Yes, so definitely way more vapor. :D

I do find price is pretty high, but not that I'm saying it's not worth it. I do think this one is definitely worth every cent. Also british pounds and weak us dollar, in real life must be factoring in as well.

Bitteryouth79

May 2, 2009
Cali
I have been using my SD non-stop for the past 3 weeks:)
still using the first atty i put on it without a hitch!
I am also having really good results using a TCC titan cart, it holds more juice and is easier to pop off/on.

SD has my vote for sure:thumb:

wouldn't mind getting my hands on an 801 adapter for it though:-x

My only drawback is that the atty is not perfectly vertical from the body and being a perfectionist this bothers me a little.

EbenezerScrews

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2008
NW New Jersey
"Cigarette-like" has nothing to do with looks, for me, it is reliability. When I wanted a cigarette, I lit one up, very easy.

No ecig comes close, but the SD is far ahead of the rest.

haha, trying to save money on cart filling and DIY liquids...

I ordered a years worth of batteries, atomizers, carts and liquid. Cost me uh, less than $450, let's say 450. That's including flavors just to try, bunch of empty dropper bottles, pipettes/syringes, blah blah other misc items ya need. Not bad $1.23 a day. If ya inlcude my two SD's, the first years cost is $2 and cents a day...

And when a cart gets dirty, I throw it away. When an atomizer gives me problems, I throw it away. When my batteries fail...wait, none of them have failed yet...hahaha, very easy

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
The Screw Driver is all I will use now, I have two of these. The S.D. provides the "perfect" balance of vaping in my opinion. A smooth vapor that is cool in temperature, which provides the "ultimate" flavor. Long battery life is a big plus also. I love the S.D. Take the plunge and buy one, you won't regret it. Another positive note, is the fact they hold their value. You can always sell it if it's not right for you, and recoup most of your investment.
Other higher powered mods are neat, but I've found that they heat too hot and destroy e liquid flavor, and fry out atomizers too quickly also. Trog's design is pretty flawless. The Screw Driver is a simple design that simply works.
The special "Screw Driver" flue cured e liquid is amazing, I enjoy the flavor immensely.

Last edited:

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Thing is, with old analog it was very simple to go with. Just a box, and a lighter. It didn't need any maintenance at all - maybe except buying a light fluid if you are using a zippo, or just counting how many cigs you have left in that box.

E-cigs in general - it comes with high maintenance in another way. Of course it's much more convenient because you can vape pretty much any place without bothering anyone - but it comes at with maintaining your atomizer at optimal performance off and on, constantly buying and stocking up juices from internet / filling up the cart/ worrying so much about your battery, etc... I guess if you were rolling your own cigs, it might have been about the same in terms of time invested in e-cigs... but in my case, with 3 different e-cigs, I had to dedicate certain amount of my time on these. I love smoking, and I love vaping more - but I'd like to keep that time for other things in life.

And with SD - right at the moment - is as close as I can get to that maintenance free element with it's long battery life and much smaller baggage to carry along with me. Reliable, and consistency. That's what I found that I thought it's missing in e-cigs. In that sense, SD definitely is the most similar thing to an analog for me, than those thin, cig-look-alikes.

Sure, I could have gotten those disposables - but long term saving was also another goal of mine when I took up vaping instead of smoking. Despite initial high cost... I believe SD will come through in flying colors in that department in less than 6 months. :)

(and yes, I'm considering selling off my used batts and chargers, usb pass-throughs, so other people might get more use out of them.)

I used to think also, SD looks more like a real big screw-driver until I saw mine. It's really tiny, to be honest. Sure, it could be an inch smaller and a quarter inch slimer - but it's definitely not big at all, in real life. :)

boxhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Chico, california
re all. i got my SD from cobain76, yes it was used, he sent a total of five atms (four new) and some janty cola, and a bunch of of carts. i got it the same day as 801 and tried them both for a couple of days, and i use the SD most of the time now. the battery life is just crazy, the juice rate is more than i expected but i went to lower mg juice.
i have used the same atm on it since i got it 5/10/09. i did do a quick soak in some coke, then hot water. IT IS A WORK OF ART. in a moment of weakness, i ask trog to marry me. but i`m better now. and after reading this thread i am rethinking my mod with the pump for juice, i don`t want to over heat the atm or juice, so i will have to reread every post about bat`s and using a mini usb female connector for a no disembly charging and vaping.

Chuffer

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2008
New York State
I've used an SD for four months. I alternate it with a couple of other ecigs, because, alas, for me no one ecig is the be-all end-all.
IMO, I don't think the SD's selling point is the vapor production. The vapor production is o.k., but there are other ecigs that produce as much or more vapor.
What the SD is, is a 901 that works, without frustration. What you are buying is a reliable switch and the housing for a long-lasting, inexpensive battery. If there are four easy things checked off--a topped-off cart, a fresh atomizer, a charged battery, and clean battery-to-atomizer connections--then the SD will work and work and work, for many months. No having to recharge the battery every two hours, and no failed automatic switches which will mean an expensive battery replacement (and waiting for it in the mail).
If you like the action of 901's, then you'll very much like the SD. Which says a lot. But if you're expecting for the $160 an earth-shaking hit and vapor that'll blow you across the street, then you may be disappointed. But Trog never promises that. He simply promises "the ecig that works". On that, he delivers.
Other recent models promise the earth-shattering hit, but whether they deliver, we'll see.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
heh.. my earth is much smaller than yours, and consider mine shaken. ;)

Seriously, I do agree with everything you said though. As per single draw vapor production compared to automatics, it's comparable - depending on the power source. I found rn4081's usb connection, with drip method and no cartridge but just mouth-piece produces just as much vapor as single draw SD. But the advantage is on manual switch, that I can really really take long draw, or have several short draws w/o turning the sensor off, thus I've been getting massive amount of vapor.

I'm sure any other manual ones would produce much vapor with my technique though. :) However, it's the reliability and consistency that I love the most about SD. Boy, didn't I miss that for past month or so!

At 165 dollars, it's considerable amount of money, but I do believe it's well worth it. :)

Palmetto

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
USA
I've had my SD about a month, with the same original atomizer. In a little over two months, I've burnt out 4 atomizers on the 901.

As a heavy smoker switching to vaping, it didn't take long to figure out I wanted something more durable and low maintenance than a super-mini or 901.

That something is definitely the Screwdriver, and considering the high price I paid for that first e-cig I bought in a mall, the price of the SD, backed by Trog's inimitable support, simply didn't seem so exorbitant.

It just works, and works, and works...:thumb:

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Looks like a clunky appliance. It prolly preforms well, but...

I prefer my PV to be more, well cigarette like. That IS what I'm replacing BTW, not some giant battery knob gizmo. Never had one of those to begin with...JMHO

The sooner you abandon the "my ecig must look like a cigarette" mentality the happier you will be.

The best performing ecigs are those that look the least like a cigarette

SD..........
LV.........
KissBox.....

Stick (I assume. still waiting for mine to come)
Prodigy (I assume--first ones haven't shipped yet)

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
The sooner you abandon the "my ecig must look like a cigarette" mentality the happier you will be.

SD..........
LV.........
KissBox.....

agreed, agreed. :D But it's one's own choice to go with, and set their priority, so I respect those who prefer regular, sleeker cigarette look-a-like ones. For me, performance and reliablity was more important.

As per the size, other than Janty Stick and Nocowolf's box mod - I believe SD is the smallest in the bunch. (Maybe LV Short is about the same size?)

I was pretty shocked how "small" SD really is. :) Just so adorable! :D

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
agreed, agreed. :D But it's one's own choice to go with, and set their priority, so I respect those who prefer regular, sleeker cigarette look-a-like ones. For me, performance and reliablity was more important.

As per the size, other than Janty Stick and Nocowolf's box mod - I believe SD is the smallest in the bunch. (Maybe LV Short is about the same size?)

I was pretty shocked how "small" SD really is. :) Just so adorable! :D

You are right. My wife still prefers her 901 to anything else. Offered to get her an SD, Stick, LV, etc.... she is happy with her 901...............

Lazarus

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Treasure Coast, FL

SD..........
LV.........
KissBox.....

Well, you long time vapers seem to have developed a different attitude then at least some of us noobs.

I believe that my addiction was more than just a nicotine dependance.

Tried the patch, tried the gum, tried the inhaler. The only one that worked for me was the inhaler.

All of them delivered the nic, but the inhaler was the closest to reproducing my habit. I could not afford it, or I think I would have stopped smoking with it 15 years ago.

I bought a Gamucci disposable 5 week ago an tried vaping for the first time. The thing was a clunky cigar shaped device that satisfied my nic addiction, but left me twittling my fingers, and smoking analogs between vapes.

I guess what I am saying is that I prefer to have a cigarette replacement device over an appliance like the Gamucci or the SD. Those things just seem seperate and apart from what my smoking habit was.

You could put a really large battery in an e-hookah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread