The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

ever get pulled over by the police?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by mwahle1, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mwahle1

mwahle1 Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL. USA
    I was vaping while driving today and I saw a cop. This got me thinking; has anyone ever got pulled over by the cops thinking that you were smoking pot (or some other drug)?

2. Kimber

Kimber Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2009
    Tennessee
    Be careful. These kind of topics aren't really supposed to be discussed on this forum. Just looking out for you and anyone that responds to this thread. I don't want you guys to get banned. :)

3. Slighter

Slighter Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 9, 2009
    Chicago Illinois
    This isn't promoting drug use and it could be a real concern. E-cigs as probable cause?

4. Slickstick

Slickstick Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

I vape downtown in front of cops who smoke. They never say a word to me.

5. Oogie

Oogie Full Member

Sep 28, 2009
    WV
    Never been pulled over by a cop but I've had people pull over for my little blue light....

XD

6. Slighter

Slighter Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 9, 2009
    Chicago Illinois
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere about more and more police and fireman taking up vaping. Government buildings, vehicles etc.......... Off to google I go.

7. mwahle1

Nov 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL. USA
    I am definitely not promoting drug use. I am relatively new to vaping and when I was driving today I saw a cop, and was thinking to myself that my e-cig surely does not look like a cigarette. I was just curious if anybody had any problems vaping while driving their car.

8. Slickstick

Slickstick Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Yes. I bought mine from a gov't employee who vapes in the building. And Nasa has hundreds of vapers working there. Soldiers in war vape as well.

9. breakdown00

breakdown00 Senior Member ECF Veteran

ive always wondered this as well but i havent had any problems and i drive for my job all day long, im a wine vendor and i go from account to account vaping all day but i always wonder if mr super cop will ever get me, u know that one cop who thinks he is the almighty...i have cop friends who are so nice, but theres always that one, but as of right now its not illegal in any way so i dont see where theres a problem even if u get mr almighty

10. Kimber

Kimber Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2009
    Tennessee
    Sorry. I hope what I said didn't come across as mean. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that might venture slightly off topic and end up getting reprimanded.

11. Oogie

Oogie Full Member

Sep 28, 2009
    WV

LOL your heart is in the right place hun. Thank you :)

Just as a side note, no one here thinks it's a drug device but they sure do give a few strange looks. I'm just not an approachable sort I guess, no one has asked yet.

12. Safira

Safira Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2009
    Plainfield,IL
    To get back on topic I think a lot of police must know what these things are now. I was driving through a very small town my 2 youngest kids in the back seat. Apparently I didn't notice they had been sitting forward. (had a DVD going and they were getting up close to the DVD) Anyway he pulled me over just because he thought they had not been buckled in. The whole time he was talking to me I didn't even realize my e-cig was still in my hands as I was handing him my drivers license. It wasn't until I started to pull away and took another puff that I realized I didn't even put the thing down. He never even asked what in the world it was. I had a copper 510 with me, maybe he thought it was a pen but it had the whistle tip on it. I was vaping RY4 and that has a very strong odor so I know he must have smelled something, but since it's a caramel smell it wasn't "funny" smelling.

I've had people in general give me strange looks on the road, but so far not the police.

13. Redd

Redd Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 1, 2009
    Central WI
    Interesting topic, as my boss has come to joke about my DSE901 as my "crack pipe". Now you have to know my boss. He's the type that makes a joke about everything. Not in an abusive way (most of the time) but in a "this is going to be a fun and relaxed place to work" sort of way.

I vape at my desk, and the employee handbook states clearly that it is a smoke free workplace except in designated areas.

But my "crack pipe" is not banned from the office.

14. conrad

conrad Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 8, 2009
    Warrenton,VA,USA
    I'm a propane driver just waiting for them to pull me over for that big hefty fine:lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. jghunter1

jghunter1 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2009
    Denver, N.C.
    I have wondered what a cop who is unfamiliar with e-cigs would think it was. I drive through a lot of rural areas regularly. I am a bit concerned that some small town cop might pull me over, notice the strange "pipe-like" object in my car, THEN he would come accross my little purple leather pill case which is filled with extra batteries, atomizers and a variety of prefilled carts. It might mean a LOT of explaining. I figure the best thing to do is carry your original "instruction manual". My 510 came with a small one so I keep in my pill case with all my extras.

16. bluewraith

bluewraith Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2009
    Peru, IN
    The firefighters at my station are always amused by my PV. They've all asked about it and how it works. Of course I'm more then happy to show them. It blows them away to know that I went from a pack and a half a day down to less then a pack a week in a matter of days. They ask whats in it, trying to downplay it. I tell them every ingredient, and them ask them to name off each ingredient in their analogs. :)

I vape in the common room, but only when there is nobody else there. If anyone else is around I still go to the bays, just because I dont want to start any drama. As far as apparatus, I don't think I'll ever vape in those.

As far as the police go, I've not had any trouble yet, but I've also not been pulled over or anything like that in about 5 years.

17. mwahle1

Nov 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL. USA
    Hey Prehoda,
    I knew you were not being mean; you were trying to be helpful.

18. aine

aine Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2009
    Brookfield, CT
    I was in NYC a couple of days ago visiting a friend. I was standing outside Grand Central trying to get my bearings and I felt a fairly firm tap on my shoulder. When I turned around a very large police officer (I'm 5'3", he was about 6'5") was scowling at me and said "would you mind telling me just what the hell that is?" Gulp! I went on to give him my standard explanation - no tar, no carcinogens blah, blah, blah. He went from scowling to smiling and it ended with him giving me a high five and saying "good for you, girl! Thought maybe it was some sort of, you know "pipe"." Glad he was the reasonable type. One more person just a little bit more educated about our little devices.

19. the86d

the86d Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2009
    So. California, USA
    Because my BattBoxMod has a cable attached to the computer, and I blow plumes, my coworkers call this my "Hoo-kah!"

This is it's new name, coined by coworkers.

20. thugmusk

thugmusk Full Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Englewood CO
    Or, LEO (law enforcement officials) *could* think, depending on the state you're in, it's something similar to a vape-pen from vape-pen . com being used medicinally like it should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.