The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

eVic issues - new user, crackling sound, burnt taste even at low V/W

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by ordnance_arc, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ordnance_arc

ordnance_arc New Member

Hey, first post on this site :)
    Anyway.
    I bought an eVic starter kit, a Kanger ProTank II and some Unicorn blood from fuzion vapor (which smells terrific but....)

Somehow the combination of these three things results in a vapor that tastes like burnt wigs and kills my throat. The Protank came with two 2.5Ω coils/atomizers (not sure what to call these yet..) which I'm using. The evic device recommends a setting of 5.2W, at which the vapor is rather thin compared to the clouds I've seen other people puffing, and yet still manages to taste like burning.

I've tried lower wattage settings with no change in flavor but significantly reduced vapor production. I have the tank filled properly and the battery is fully charged... I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong

The juice I'm using is 65%VG/35%PG might it have something to do with that?

Any help or tips at all would be most appreciated, I want this amazing thing to replace my analogs!

Thank you!

Also: as recommended I am drawing slowly and steadily as I hold the button down. The device usually reports a time between 3.8 and 4.5 seconds.

2. SupplyDaddy

SupplyDaddy I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Take a drag before hitting the power. Do this to ensure you're not doing a dry hit.
    I would also suggest turning the power up a touch.. 6.. 6.5 for the 2.5 Ohm coils..

3. Mark_Henson

Mark_Henson Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have the same setup, and had similar issues. Someone on Reddit posted a picture where the little seal on the coil was flipped, so it still seals, but allows more juice to get to the wicks. I tryed it, and it has solved that issue for me. I am running at 6.6 watts as well. Hope that helps.

4. broseph

broseph Full Member Verified Member

Sep 1, 2013
    okc
    The recommended watts on the eVic is just a setting (I believe default is 5.2w) that can be changed, so ignore it. Play with it in vw mode and go from about 5.5w to 8w.

5. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Recommend 5.2w is a Standard for Safe Vaping - Nothing More
    It is not a calculation from the device - it is a power on notification built in by Joyetech

Most prefer settings from 6.x to 7.5 watts on the eVic. YMMV

Issue it Not getting E-liquid to wick.

Wicks take time to saturate and start wicking smoothly.
    Power off pulls help during this period.

Remember, the wicks are in a sealed air tube with only the ends exposed to e-liquid in the tank

Wetting the wick(new) with water helps to jump start wicking. First few draws will be flavor muted but quickly changes over.

6.8-7.2 watts is my general vaping range.

6. ImThatGuy

ImThatGuy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2012
    California
    Make sure your wicks are fully saturated before taking that first drag.

7. Sthur

Sthur Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2013
    Denver
    I have an evic and pt2 and would try the flip of the plastic seal or remove a flavor wick when using 65% vg juice. It's thicker then 50%.

8. teslaflux51

teslaflux51 Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    A city that ROARS
    Hi,

I'm a new user to Evic with PT2. Currently still finding the sweet spot for my fruity favour juice.
    Am vaping now on Evic at stock condition with current settings of 6.4w/ 4V/ 2.5ohm coil.
    My Humble Verdict: Strong favouring from my fruity juice and tons of vapor smoke in short 3-4 second vaping...:laugh:

9. teslaflux51

teslaflux51 Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    A city that ROARS
  10. ordnance_arc

ordnance_arc New Member

Excellent suggestions, all!
    I am now successfully cloud farming in my office.
    The taste is still kinda burnt, and unfortunately I don't have another brand or flavor of juice to try, but I can tackle that later. For now, I'm very happy.

Here's what I did:
    • upped wattage to 6.2w
    • flipped the sealing ring around the atty's tank-end shaft
    • added a drop of water down the same shaft
    • drained tank of burnt juice and refilled with new
    • dry-pulled at least 10 times over a half hour's time

What I'll probably do next:
    • try removing the wick to see if that helps with the burnt flavor
    • create a couple ramped curves in the RVW and RVVmodes and experiment with them
    • maybe buy n try a few different compatible atomizers and juices

Thanks to you all again for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.