The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Evic Primo 2.0, smoke coming out of battery port

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by rymail00, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rymail00

rymail00 Full Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum but was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

I tried charging my Evic Primo 2 through the pass through (I think that's what it's called) and noticed a weird smell, a little bit of smoke started coming from where the batteries are. I opened it quickly and popped out the batteries and a little more smoke came out. It smelled like a small electrical fire or burning plastic type smell. After a couple minutes I tried different batteries in it and nothing, it won't turn on, it's dead. But I then tried the batteries in my original eciv primo and the batteries still worked. So I don't think it was the batteries? And the charger I used is the same charger I've used for my VTC Mini, original primo and now the primo 2.0.

Any ideas why, or what I can do to hopefully save my 2.0? It's only a few weeks old so to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
    Ryan

Edit: not sure if it matters but using a crown 3 tank, .25 coil at 80W.

2. sailorman

sailorman Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2010
    Podunk, FLA
    Sounds like an internal short of some type. Hopefully, it wasn't caused by a juice leak and it's still under some kind of warranty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Hopefully you bought from a reputable vendor. I would contact them for replacement. Most members do not recommend charging external batteries through the usb port. I wish you good luck...let us know what the vendor does.

:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. rymail00

rymail00 Full Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Thanks for the reply.

Hmm...i haven't been having any leakage problems. I also took the crown 3 tank off and put it on my primo 1.0 and I didn't see any juice or anything on the 2.0 unit.

Any suggestions on what do? I did write to joyetech basically explaining everything I did in this post. Hopefully they'll help me get a replacement. Unfortunately it was a gift so I have no receipt. I'm guessing I'm probably just up s&!= creek without a paddle at this point.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Welcome to the board. Perhaps the members here can guide you well in the future so that further mishaps are few.

GL

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sugar_and_Spice

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Joyetech has a shop here in the US. They may be better to help you than trying to deal half way around the world.

Joyetech USA Inc. | E-Cigarette | E-Liquid | Vaporizer

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Walee

Walee Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 6, 2017
    I think you nailed it. The "electrical fire" odor is pretty distinct. Little puffs of smoke are pretty good confirmation. You fried something. Right now there is some component in there that is a char baby. A few weeks is about right. Most electronic failures will be within the first 30 days. There's even a name for it. A preme failure. Classic warranty claim and not uncommon to any electronic device.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. rymail00

rymail00 Full Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Thanks for the response. Hopefully they'll help me out. If not I guess I'll just have to buy another. I'm going to try calling in the morning. I really enjoyed the original primo and the 2.0. Granted I've had my problems with both models but I like shape and size.

Thanks again to everyone who's posted your responses are much appreciated!

• Like Like x 4
  9. rymail00

rymail00 Full Member

Dec 18, 2017
    We'll also I might as well ask.

"If" I can't get it replaced. Does anyone have any suggestions fpr a new unit (not sure the technical term). Again i really enjoy the primo1/2. So I'd more than likely stuck with if I need to purchase a new but definitely open to suggestions too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sugar_and_Spice

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I don't think you will have a problem. The US Joyetech site says it warranties their product for 90 days.

They also have a decent price on the primos. However, it is christmas time and sales are everywhere. Try going to vapecrawler.com and type in what you are looking for. They will show you deals.
    Vapecrawler

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Welcome to ECF.
    If you like the form of the Primo you might like the Smoant Charon tc. It is heavier, but very comfortable in the hand. Smoant devices are solid and reliable. Will cost about 40-45.00. Dual 18650. Correct terms would be mod or device.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. rymail00

rymail00 Full Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Thanks! Cool I'll check those mods out .

Thank you for the help!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Little pricier is the Think Vape Exus Ark, 60.00. Lovely lighter weight mod. Excellent responsive fire button, good battery life, attractive, up to 25mm tank with no overhang, great in power mode - not so much in tc mode. Love mine and it is still in daily rotation. If money isn't an issue the Lost Vape Therion DNA 166 is a great mod, 139-149.00.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Walee

Oct 6, 2017
    I'll second the emotion on the Think Vape. If you use TCR mode instead of SS TC mode you can fool the thing into a very nice TC vape by setting the TCR around 165. And if you thumb fire it is just sweet to hold.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Would never have dawned on me to set the TCR so high. I do love my Ark, Therions are still my favorites tho. Wish TV would release an elegant gray Ark. Would make for a nice merry christmas to me present.

• Like Like x 2
  16. rymail00

rymail00 Full Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Thanks I'll check those out.

I never messed around with TCR settings. I've only used wattage as a setting.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Walee

Oct 6, 2017
    I really wanted to see if it would do TC because the preset for SS was really wimpy. I know the higher the TCR the hotter the vape so I went for it. The accurate setting is probably somewhere between 140 and 160 I would imagine, but 165 @ 425°F puts out a vape that I like a lot and it is obviously stabilized.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Might give that a try down the road. Thanks Walee.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Wish I could help.

• Like Like x 2
  20. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hi and welcome. Yup, she's fried. Try to warranty it if you can.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.