Evidence suggests e-cigs safer than cigarettes, researcher claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesmom

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2010
Tennessee - Chattanooga
Thanks Player, I was just talking with a friend who wants to quit smoking and is currently using the patch and sneaking in a cig every now and then, she told me about a program she had seen just this morning debating the saftey of e-cigs. I forwarded the link to her. I would like for her to make an informed decision.
I know these products aren't suppose to be touted as a stop smoking aid, but that's exactly what SmokeStik did for me. After 26 years of smoking ..just three short day's with a SmokeStik I tossed my analogs and haven't looked back.
How anyone could think this device isn't life saving is beyond me.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al

player30

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham AL
I have read The Rest of the Story, and it was very informative. It has legal as well as medical info. And yes , it is biased.

Being a libertarian to the core, I am in favor of anything that gives individuals full rights over their life as long as they don't stomp on anyone else, so I want the government out of my decision to vape!

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
okay......I will play devils advocate here....if for no other reason so we can stop talking about body parts in the other thread.....not that there is anything wrong with body parts....as long as they are falling off a Zombie....but I digress.....

what about the government being involved in ensuring the SAFETY of vaping and vaping products? Not regulating the use of the product.....but product safety?

now that I think about it....let me get out my soapbox. You are all aware of recent court cases and counter cases involving the FDA......and the truth is that the FDA does not necessarilly have any problem with vaping...it has a problem with the unsubstanciated claims being made by some companies. And they are not saying that vaping is unsafe.....they are saying WE DON"T KNOW. Surf the Internet....you will quickly find ecig companies that are as unscupulous as the tobacco industry. I am glad that there are currently guidelines dictating what I can and can not tell a potential customer about our product. When someone calls me and says....I have COPD and a heartcondition...my doctor says I must quit smoking or I will die.......your product is safer than smoking,right?......I tell them the truth. I don't know. There have been no long term studies published yet regarding this. Does what we do know point in the direction of it being safer than smoking? Maybe. Is it possible that it could actually be harmful to someone like that? Maybe. Am I glad I do not have to bare the thought that something I said to someone landed them in ICU? damn right.....because I...we...SmokeStik...operates not only within the FDA guidelines but we give them a wide margin in their favor. We dont need to lie to people. Our product is made for people to enjoy. If you want to replace your tobacco with it more the better. Do I...we...have personal opinions regarding the inherent and relative safety of our product. You bet.....almost all of us use it. Some who have never even smoked use the non nicotine. Because it's enjoyable and experience tells us there don't seem to be any short term adverse effects. (unless you have allergies of course)

But that is SmokeStik.....Bill believes in his product. And I believe that if he were ever presented with proof that it was harmful he would find a way to change it. Or stop selling it. He doesnt need the government to tell him how to behave ethically. But what about the others? I'm not saying we are the only ethical ecig company or supplier.....only that there are enough of the unethical ones that someone needs to be the watchdog. If not the FDA....then the ecig industry itself needs to step up to the plate.

would someone else like to use this soapbox? :facepalm:

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
okay......I will play devils advocate here....if for no other reason so we can stop talking about body parts in the other thread.....not that there is anything wrong with body parts....as long as they are falling off a Zombie....but I digress.....

what about the government being involved in ensuring the SAFETY of vaping and vaping products? Not regulating the use of the product.....but product safety?

Now there is the kicker, if they got more involved in this way it would be a great thing, and I think they will be very soon, especially when it comes to regulating juice, how its made, labeled, ingredients, flavors (unfortunately) and just making sure what we ALL are putting inside of us is OK

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I'm actually in favor of safety, safer alternatives, and reasonable regulation.

But the FDA is saying the product must not be allowed to be available until it's approved as a drug/drug delivery device. Which means e-cigs go away, or underground until a few years of clinical trials have occurred and many millions of dollars later. The other problem is that the FDA is saying "we don't know" which ignores the data that do exist. Yes, there needs to be more data , but the data support the premise that vaping is safer than smoking. Maybe not 100% safe- but what is? What really burns me is that the FDA is misrepresenting their own data- to me that points to an agenda that has little to do with safety.

Last edited:

player30

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham AL
lorikay

I think you answered you own question. People are not idiots, and if there is a faulty producer out there, this forum and others offer the voice needed to get rid of them/ In most products, there are sub, standard and above average products, and I believe the market figures this out. The same can be said for liquids. These products are currently and always will be tested by the FDA. Don't believe for a minute that SS cartridges haven't been tested. And if there was something in there that the FDA did not like in there or if SS was adding or omitting something then you would quickly know.

Regulations only feed regulators pockets. The costs of complying would put some good companies out of business.

If the products are legal such as nicotine and pg, then the FDA has no business in it.

Smoke Stik came off as a reputable company when I first made a purchase, and I liked the product. If neither of the above was true, I would not have been a repeat customer or I would have tried to get my money back.

I bought a riva last week, and didn't like it (the company was fine), so I gave it away. But I am capable of making my own decisions, and living with the fact that sometimes I make a wrong decision.

I feel better!!

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
everyone has good points.....and that is one of the things that IS good about the government we have....so far.....at least we all have the freedom to speak our piece.

And having this space....this ECF forum to hash things out without fear of reprisals....that is really something. Expressing my opinion teaches me nothing....but listening to you all does.

now....you want to get an inside view of just how squirrely lorikay13 is???? As soon as I typed that sentence above....I had the thought....."and that is what we have to thank our veterans for.....rather you agree with any specific conflict or not.....unfortunately freedom has had to be fought for".......boy...talk about a tangent!!!! hehe....goodnight. That is all.

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Freedom certainly isn't 'free' - and many, many people have paid for the fact that we can be here and say what we need/want to say. Thank you....

I hope we don't give that up for the illusion of safety.

BTW, The FDA doesn't currently test any e-cig liquids or components. They tested 18 cartridges from 1 company- that report is being misrepresented and is the basis for most of the negative press here in the states. There are a few groups doing the research that needs to be done. It's costly and paid for by suppliers, as part of academic research or (in the case of the upcoming air quality study) donations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread