Nov 22, 2013
canada

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
the chips themselves are 20 bucks(vapor joe broke the news and he will be getting one in 30 days) woah hana and evolv will be losing a good chunk of their profits when these reach fasttech and other vendors
plus these can fire as low as .3

http://m.alibaba.com/product/1726990048/2014_New_arrival_wholesale_dna20_mod/specifications.html

Source 2014 china original wholesales dna20 mod with variable voltage stainless steel atomic atomizer on m.alibaba.com

Ruh Roh...

I'm glad I didn't jump on that DNA 20/30 bandwagon. This should bring the price of box mods down a bit.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Ruh Roh...

I'm glad I didn't jump on that DNA 20/30 bandwagon. This should bring the price of box mods down a bit.

I wouldn't sound the death knell for "real" DNA20/30 mods just yet. I'm curious to see what the actual numbers are on these clones.

chainvapor

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Kodak TN
American mod builders cannot keep up with demand. If they invested more in their products and ran them in higher production, they might be able to compete with China. I am willing to spend a little extra on an American made mod, but not 10 times the price. And finding an American made mod in stock is nearly impossible. So I say it is awesome that China is stepping up their game!:D

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
American mod builders cannot keep up with demand. If they invested more in their products and ran them in higher production, they might be able to compete with China. I am willing to spend a little extra on an American made mod, but not 10 times the price. And finding an American made mod in stock is nearly impossible. So I say it is awesome that China is stepping up their game!:D
I've got no gripe with China, but the highlighted sentence doesn't really work for most US vendors, unless they've got the manufacturing flexibility of one of the Chinese behemoths.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
I've got no gripe with China, but the highlighted sentence doesn't really work for most US vendors, unless they've got the manufacturing flexibility of one of the Chinese behemoths.

And that itself is the problem. If you have ever studied economics this is a pretty basic issue, supply and demand.

Thousands of people want them but don't want to pay 200+ each so the American manufacturers only make hundreds at that price, but that leaves a market gap. The Chinese see that market gap, they KNOW there is a demand but at a lower price point so they make a substitute product (clone) and sell it for a quarter of the real products price.

If people were REALLY worried about buying domestic products, the manufacturers themselves would drop the price. It doesn't cost 200-500 to make these PVs, nor is the opportunity cost of making each one at that point, which the Chinese have demonstrated. The American makers are simply charging more based on the fact that SOME people will pay the price to have it, so if they sell 200 at $200 each, that's $40,000 revenue. If the Chinese sell 1000 or 10000 at $40 each that's $40,000-$400,000 revenue.

See the difference? American makers need to lower their prices for the chance to get a bigger piece of the pie but to do that they need to figure out where to get the capital to expand their production capacities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Busted knuckles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
Portland, Oregon.
And that itself is the problem. If you have ever studied economics this is a pretty basic issue, supply and demand.

Thousands of people want them but don't want to pay 200+ each so the American manufacturers only make hundreds at that price, but that leaves a market gap. The Chinese see that market gap, they KNOW there is a demand but at a lower price point so they make a substitute product (clone) and sell it for a quarter of the real products price.

If people were REALLY worried about buying domestic products, the manufacturers themselves would drop the price. It doesn't cost 200-500 to make these PVs, nor is the opportunity cost of making each one at that point, which the Chinese have demonstrated. The American makers are simply charging more based on the fact that SOME people will pay the price to have it, so if they sell 200 at $200 each, that's $40,000 revenue. If the Chinese sell 1000 or 10000 at $40 each that's $40,000-$400,000 revenue.

See the difference? American makers need to lower their prices for the chance to get a bigger piece of the pie but to do that they need to figure out where to get the capital to expand their production capacities.

I agree with you to a point. But you're not accounting for the price of production in the US. It just costs more to make things in this country, we don't yet have bonded or slave labor.
On the other hand, are all of these USA made mods really made entirely in the states? I know that's an entirely different issue, but I wonder. I also wonder what the profit margin is on some of these DNA mods? I know what it would cost me to make one, I've been planing a build, and if I sold mine at $250 it would be more than %150 profit.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
Just love your video:p

Easily. I figure with a few hundred in tools for wood working I could hand make some wood mods that could easily sell for as much or a little less than the ones on the market. But this entire situation is a great example of globalization anyways, realistically these guys are selling for MAYBE 10% more than cost as opposed to us makers who sell for quite a bit more but in less quantity.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
There's an easy way to fix this if the US wanted to: Tariffs. Emphasis on wanted to, which they don't. That said, most clones can't get it right in the first place, so I am not worried about vendors on alibaba, or their frontman Joe, posting pics of "clones", we should know better. If things like TOBH, Stillare from Cartel, Hana Modz, Provari, Evolv, etc haven't taught you that there's a demand for premium priced mods and attys, then I don't know what will. You can find clones in stock, but you can't find the real deal without a hunt.

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
Small US companies should stick with innovation. Forget about manufacturing, the majority of the American voters killed that industry long ago by way of favoring more unionization, freebies and entitlements.

As for China mass producing DNA chips, it was bound to happen given the inability of Evolv to keep up with demand.

My personal experience with an ongoing pre-order fiasco and horrendous turnaround time for a DNA device has left me quite jaded in ever wanting to participate in this type of purchase again.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
There's an easy way to fix this if the US wanted to: Tariffs. Emphasis on wanted to, which they don't. That said, most clones can't get it right in the first place, so I am not worried about vendors on alibaba, or their frontman Joe, posting pics of "clones", we should know better. If things like TOBH, Stillare from Cartel, Hana Modz, Provari, Evolv, etc haven't taught you that there's a demand for premium priced mods and attys, then I don't know what will. You can find clones in stock, but you can't find the real deal without a hunt.

Exactly.. you're making a good argument for the clone.

morpheusneo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2014
Bristol, TN
This is sad...why not be original and come out with a new design? Instead make a counterfeit and use some other original design because your country has no copyright laws. If you look at the specs, the china counterfeit dna is not the same and I'm sure not built nearly as well. I'll stick with my good high quality US made ZNA that is insured. I'm positive none the the counterfeits will be insured...probably good that they're not for the makers. Don't know if a company would insure them. If your proud of your product, why not put your name on it instead of someone elses name that has already worked hard and built a good reputation from a good product.

v1ck

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Yorkshire, UK
I don't know why China feel they need to put a big "H" on the design and the word Hana... It spoils it why can't they say their trading name or a brand name of their own and then just quote the specs of the device. I would be interested regardless of the makers name if the price vs the spec were on point with some positive reviews from early buyers.

I will do what i did with the Valkayrie... wait till they make one without markings and snap it up. More so with the mechs than this but sometimes i worry that everyone has forgotten its a metal tube the length of a battery... not much more.

v1ck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread