Ex-smoker new to vaping, looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blattodeath

Jun 18, 2019
Hello everyone, pleasure to meet you! :)

So, a week ago I ditched the cigarettes in favour of a Logic Compact pod pen. It has been working well so far, it satisfies my cravings minus the inconvenience of inhaling over 60 harmful elements in the process, so I decided to maybe try out a more advanced (maybe custom) vape build, and wanted to ask you guys for help.
1) I am a MtL smoker, but since PG is giving me some issues, I decided to look for sub ohm tanks suitable for MtL on which I can use high VG e-liquids and found the Vapefly Nicolas MtL tank. What do you think? Are there any better options that you'd reccomend?
2) I am having a hard time deciding on the box mod. I am looking for something that won't cost me an eye, but will still give me the option to play with the settings and customize wattage, airflow and stuff like that, possibly something versatile that I will also be able to use should I decide to change some components later on. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Last edited:
Reactions: BrotherBob

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :)
You should be able to use high VG in MTL tanks without problems. There are several good MTL coil cartridge systems out there. Nautilus coils come to mind as well as the Z stuff. There are others as well though. For a long time the go-to suggestion for people in your situation was the innokin zenith. It may have been supplanted by something else by now.
There is or used to be a kit called the kroma-A zenith that comes with the zenith tank and a fairly simple internal battery VV box mod which should tick your boxes without costing too much. Coil cartridges aren’t my wheelhouse so you may get better and more up to date suggestions though.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
i do use 70/30VG on pods too, also flint kit will be something that could fit your needs,

mtl devices:
siren v2 and ammit rta mtl are another kinda amazing pics, both able to take high VG liquids, also amazing for flavor on mtl setup, a frenzy kit im testing is a complete mtl delight! anther great start there, mtl + temp control !

Regards,

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
I would suggest the geekvape solo or the mini. The mini has a built in battery, good to 80 watts, the solo has an external battery good to about 100 watts. I'm guessing you don't have an external charger, so you can check out the mini, it's a good solid device. Note all of the above is my opinion, so consider that when buying.
Note: the mod has no bearing on air flow control.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Oh, one last question, btw. I read that 6mg is the highest nicotine strength reccomended for sub-ohm e-cigarettes. Is that accurate, or I can use higher nicotine strength?
At my local shop, they have as high as 12. When I switched to sub ohm, I was still using higher to calm the cravings, but my desire for the nic soon dropped off. Ymmv

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

• Useful
Reactions: Blattodeath

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I read that 6mg is the highest nicotine strength recomended for sub-ohm e-cigarettes. Is that accurate, or I can use higher nicotine strength?
You can use whatever strength of nicotine that you like. Whatever is most effective and works best for you.

It is true that many people drop their nicotine strength down to half of what they were using before going sub-ohm. But use whatever works for you.

• Useful
Reactions: Blattodeath

Madmodder

Jun 17, 2019
Folkestone, Kent, UK.
Hi there!
I'm quite new to vaping myself. I was Introduced to sub-ohming straight off.
After a few weeks of slowly upping my power levels (mechanical mods and winding my own coils) I tried 6mg and it totally wiped me out!
It seems most people who go to a stronger, more powerful MTL vape stick at 3mg nicotine (or less!) and at least 70%VG mixes. If not even higher... At 8-9 weeks that's where I'm at. After about 32 years of smoking and nothing else got me to quit the ciggies... And I'm happy! No more cravings for those stinky cigarettes!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For true MTL tanks I would suggest the Innokin Zlide, Innokin Zenith, or Aspire Nautilus.

For the mod, you can use any variable wattage mod or battery device. You don't necessarily need a high wattage (over 30 watts) mod for a MTL tank, but the added mAh capacity of a high wattage mod (usually a multiple battery mod) will allow you to use your setup for a longer period of time before needing to change batteries or recharge the batteries.

I personally prefer using a more compact, single battery device (much more pocket friendly than a dual battery mod) and just carry extra batteries with me in plastic cases should I need them.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Aegis Mini vs Aegis Solo: Reviews

DTL sub ohm vaping is not for everyone. MTL vaping is not for everyone, either. Figure out which type of vaper you are. There are pro's and con's to both.

MTL high-ohm low-wattage vaping:

restricted air draw, cooler vape, better battery efficiency, less e-liquid consumption, less cloud production
DTL low-ohm high-wattage vaping:

looser air draw, warmer vape, poorer battery efficiency, more e-liquid consumption, more cloud production.

Last edited:

Madmodder

Jun 17, 2019
Folkestone, Kent, UK.
Hi there!
I'm quite new to vaping myself. I was Introduced to sub-ohming straight off.
After a few weeks of slowly upping my power levels (mechanical mods and winding my own coils) I tried 6mg and it totally wiped me out!
It seems most people who go to a stronger, more powerful MTL vape stick at 3mg nicotine (or less!) and at least 70%VG mixes. If not even higher... At 8-9 weeks that's where I'm at. After about 32 years of smoking and nothing else got me to quit the ciggies... And I'm happy! No more cravings for those stinky cigarettes!

Sorry I didn't read your post properly. I missed the "MTL" bit and I'm DTL for sure...

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Oh, one last question, btw. I read that 6mg is the highest nicotine strength reccomended for sub-ohm e-cigarettes. Is that accurate, or I can use higher nicotine strength?

Sub ohm vaping is when your vaping over 25 watts, generally speaking. The volume of ejuice you consume increases, as the wattage/power you apply increases.

You want something that can accommodate a higher VG ejuice, but the Zenith tank or the Innokin Z-Biip can accommodate a higher VG juice, and the recommended wattage for the .5 ohm Z-Plex3D coil is only 14 watts.

At that, your vaping MTL and your consumption stays low enough that you can reasonably use any strength that works for you, even if that be 25mg/ml.

What your looking at is not therefore whether or not the coil is subohm, but the general wattage you may be using that coil at.

The GeekVape flint, as has been recommended to you in this thread, is low wattage and low consumption, just like the Innokin coils designed for the Zenith or the Z-Biip also are..

So look at how you will be using whatever you purchase, and don't worry about anything but the wattage your going to be using it at. Nearly all MTL vape mods and tanks are designed for lower wattage and lower consumption..

If you want my recommendation I would go with the Innokin Z-Biip or the GeekVape Flint, or any mod of your choosing with the Zenith tank.

kashif

May 26, 2019
Welcome to ECF buddy. For MTL the best two tanks according to my research are Innokin zenith and Nautilus 2s. I don't know much about the mods because I have only one mod which is kind of having too many options which I will never use but its a very beautiful sleek and sexy mod. You can google for Vaporesso luxe. Since you said you need something fancy you will love the Iris color. Very very beautiful device but as I said you don't need the extra options that comes with the mod.

Ejuices comes in different strengths. Depends on the manufacturer also that upto what strength the make there juices. I find them available in 3, 6, 12 and 18 MGs but please note do not go too high because you may get nicotine sick. Please note there are two kind of juices, freebase and nic salts based juices. For nic salts you can have 25 mg to even more but for freebase juices you need 6 mg usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread