Examining the Draw of E-Cigarettes- Univeristy of Alabama at Birmingham Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Examining the Draw of E-Cigarettes | UAB Magazine

Not horrible. Not great. It's not anti-ecig so much as it is anti-nicotine addiction. No space for comments.

I think it's a total BS article which would have been nice to be able to address some of the crap like "proven quit methods", please. These guys no nothing about what they speak. Let's just get people back on cigarettes so the Pharma industry can sell them their overpriced, ineffective products again and again.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I do know one of the people interviewed, and we had a good talk about it yesterday evening. I sent him a couple of studies today, but the writer contacted him at the last minute, so he didn't have all the info when he talked to them. He's not anti-ecig, thinks it's potentially helpful, but wants to see some form of regulation- safety and restriction of sales to minors. He's very, very interested in published data about quit rates.

I've been looking for the link to the surveys that show the 60-80% quit rate for PVs... I have the one published article, but couldn't find the informal survey results- either on CASAA or the library here.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I do know one of the people interviewed, and we had a good talk about it yesterday evening. I sent him a couple of studies today, but the writer contacted him at the last minute, so he didn't have all the info when he talked to them. He's not anti-ecig, thinks it's potentially helpful, but wants to see some form of regulation- safety and restriction of sales to minors. He's very, very interested in published data about quit rates.

I've been looking for the link to the surveys that show the 60-80% quit rate for PVs... I have the one published article, but couldn't find the informal survey results- either on CASAA or the library here.

Here are links to the two published surveys. BTW, Etter has conducted a second survey that we hope to see published soon.

Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) as potential tobacco harm reduction products. Heavner, K. et al. Tobacco Harm Reduction. http://tobaccoharmreduction.org/wpapers/011v1.pdf
Electronic cigarettes: a survey of users. J.F. Etter. BMC Public Health. BioMed Central | Full text | Electronic cigarettes: a survey of users

CASAA conducted an "informal" survey. It's good for informational purposes but is not medical journal material. It has not been through any type of statistical analysis for validity and reliability. https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=HrpzL8PN5cP366RWhWvCTjggiZM_2b8yQJHfwE9UXRNhE_3d

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
God forbid that we might ENJOY our e-cigs...they might be FUN -- @sswipes :mad:

Proven alternatives—including nicotine gum, patches, lozenges, sprays, and inhalers—are better for several reasons, Bailey says.

“The whole point of all these other cessation devices is that they’re not attractive. They’re not made to be a lot of fun.” For instance, nicotine gum is hard to chew on purpose. “But they do give you some support, and that helps reduce some of the craving and withdrawal symptoms.”

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Pr
oven alternatives—including nicotine gum, patches, lozenges, sprays, and inhalers—are better for several reasons, Bailey says.

“The whole point of all these other cessation devices is that they’re not attractive. They’re not made to be a lot of fun.” For instance, nicotine gum is hard to chew on purpose. “But they do give you some support, and that helps reduce some of the craving and withdrawal symptoms.”

I guess those are fine for those who are satisfied with the promise to reduce some of the craving and withdrawal symptoms. I have higher standards. I want them all eliminated.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Pr

I guess those are fine for those who are satisfied with the promise to reduce some of the craving and withdrawal symptoms. I have higher standards. I want them all eliminated.

Maybe that's why all those things like gum fail so miserably, because they're NOT fun. Why would somebody almost punish themselves when the act of quitting already makes you miserable? It's like trying to cure someones overeating by handing them rocks to gnaw on, they'll immediately reach for cookies.

Those things simply don't address the psychological hand to mouth addiction, which I think is the biggest hurdle most of us face. If pushed I'm sure we could all go without nicotine, it's the addiction to the mechanics that's the hardest.

My final point is that I'm a free, sovereign human being. I will put whatever the bleep I want into my body. If I want to sit and huff Draino all day, that's MY business. People are very very selective when it comes to "freedom of choice".

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston

Great read! I especially like the calling out of the pulmonologist's (William Bailey) spin on the hand to mouth addiction. Non Smokers will never understand apparently. So why do they keep spitting out the same old garbage for anyone who will listen? Bailey obviously has his own stop smoking agenda.

The warning tone of the entire article is based around the purely speculative claim that e-cigarette users are more likely to go back to smoking than are NRT users, despite the subject of the article being an e-cigarette user who has done the opposite. Bailey explains the reasoning behind this, as with nicotine replacement therapy “you have broken that hand-to-mouth oral gratification habit… With the e-cigarettes, you’re actually encouraging it. I just don’t think people are going to be quitting as easily.” Apparently, the very reason why e-cigarettes are appealing to smokers is the very reason why they’ll end up smoking again. The backwards reasoning required to think that a health-conscious e-cigarette user would switch back to smoking cigarettes because the hand-to-mouth action is the same is mind-boggling.

Of course, there is a much more valid reason for why e-cigarette users would switch back to smoking cigarettes, and that would be an active campaign of disinformation with respect to them, waged by the government and health authorities, and their subsequent banning.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
So, I've been emailing back and forth with the author of the article. She's really quite nice- and very open to e-cigs herself. She's a free lancer, and very interested in the research. She was confused by Baily's unwillingness to consider alternatives. I think she pretty much had to write what she got- but now she knows where to look for more. She may be considering trying to write and sell a follow up.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
So, I've been emailing back and forth with the author of the article. She's really quite nice- and very open to e-cigs herself. She's a free lancer, and very interested in the research. She was confused by Baily's unwillingness to consider alternatives. I think she pretty much had to write what she got- but now she knows where to look for more. She may be considering trying to write and sell a follow up.

I was just elected the official Media Contact person for CASAA. I'd be happy to provide her with any and all information she needs. My email is ekeller AT cassaa.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread